NBA 2019-2020 Season

Pooker

I like your last idea, @Maxx. Have a quick mid-season tournament between the bottom four teams, two in each conference. The winner gets to face their conferences 8th seed in a play-in game for the playoffs.

But, I also think that playoffs should be top 16 teams, regardless of conference. @DMN, how do you propose that the NBA makes Eastern teams better? It's been a problem for quite a number of years now and I've yet to hear somebody come up with a good solution. Maybe something like realign the conferences so that it's no longer East and West? Do something like MLB and the NFL does?

As others have mentioned, the reason the east is generally poor quality is all to do with the lack of good management in most of those teams. The West has been strong since the 00s because teams in the west generally build their teams better, and in turn talent flocks to the west because they want to play on the best teams, resulting in winning teams not getting into the playoffs in the west, whilst losing teams can get 6th seeds in the east.

I'm generally not in favour of a mix-match division/conference system ala the NFL/MLB either, because I feel the prospect of local teams playing each other four times in the regular season adds a lot of dynamic, because losing the season series (especially in the west) can make getting to the playoffs a lot trickier. Also it would remove the Southwest hell division for teams to go through.

Finally, as DMNhas mentioned, removing conferences or making them abstract would create possibilities of LA Vs. LA (or lord forbid, NY Vs. BKY) finals, and that would be awful in its own way. At the same time, the prospect of one day having Rockets Vs. Mavs for all the marbles would be insane.

Also, I feel the league needs two new teams in the west, so the Wolves and Grizzlies can be sent to the east, because geographically their places in the western division makes no sense, the TWolves next western foe is three states over. And you could make half a case for the Pelicans being geographically east too.

Edited by Jasonmufc

A big reason the east coast teams suck (and can suck) is because even bad the Knicks make so much money for the league that wouldn't be dramatically increased outside of a ratings boost during May and June were they good. There's not the pressure that there is for a team like Utah where the margins are a lot thinner.

So from a money standpoint, the NBA doesn't really lose much by proposing the best 2 teams meet in the Finals. Unless you get the LA vs LA matchup the TV ratings floor isn't much worse than, say, a hypothetical Milwaukee vs OKC Finals would be. In fact it might do better since there's a built-in national audience and LA is going to add to that with the 2nd largest media market in the NBA.

Yes, but the Lakers alone get you the vast majority of the LA market, while the Clippers bring nearly nothing to the table. Literally any eastern Conference team against the Lakers is a better draw for the NBA than Lakers/Clippers.

However, Lakers/Clippers in the Western Conference Finals would be a huge draw, as they fight to be the lone top team in LA.

It's like the difference between the SEC Championship game and Alabama playing LSU for a national title.

I never really thought that Melo's game was in question. Its just been how he could fit into a team where he wasn't the number one option. I believe that's why he didnt work out in Oklahoma City or in Houston. 

Like Pook said, there's no coach dead or alive that could turn this Knicks team around. There's marginal talent on the team, and the culture seems to be completely poo poo on top of that. Also doesn't help that James L. Dolan is arguably the worst owner in American sports today, and is a concrete block tied to the neck of the franchise.

• 2 weeks later...

The "fan" who was banned from the Jazz's arena last year for yelling racist remarks at Russell Westbrook has sued the Jazz and Westbrook for $64 million. His girlfriend who was also banned, has sued for $32 million. He's claiming that when he yelled at Westbrook, he was telling him to wrap his knees for playing harder later in the game, not to get back on his knees like Westbrook, and everybody else heard.

Can someone explain the racist context here? When I hear that, and try to think how it's offensive, I think of it being a slut shaming type remark or homophobic slur like he's on his knees sucking a dick. 

I'm not debating it wasn't racist, I just want to understand how it was. No matter what, guy is clearly a bellend.