NBA 2019-2020 Season

Pooker

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone... My reaction to this came about for exactly the same reason though... some Trauma Survivors I know that are getting this shoved in their faces. That's really all. I was just genuinely shocked at the reaction.

I'll drop it. 

Edited by arwrestling

16 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

I was told about this by my stepson around 3:30 this afternoon, and I am still somewhat stunned. 

Has Shaq said anything yet?

Shaq gave the statement on Twitter. Said "There’s no words to express the pain Im going through with this tragedy of loosing my neice Gigi & my brother @kobebryant I love u and u will be missed. My condolences goes out to the Bryant family and the families of the other passengers on board. IM SICK RIGHT NOW"

Haven't really followed basketball that closely since Michael Jordan's heyday in the 90's, but still regardless of what you think of Kobe, this is definitely stunning news to hear. One of the top names when you think of basketball in the past 20 years. RIP #24 :(

So, it's been awhile since I've been here.

I woke up to a call from my mom on Sunday asking if the news was true. As I'm on this call, ESPN is on my TV and they're still getting ready for the Pro Bowl so I'm like "Mom, no, don't believe everything on the internet, kthxbye".

10 minutes later I wish I was right.

Kobe's passing I think showed me why we grieve the way we do when public figures die. It's not because we care about them more than other people (at least that's what I think), but moreso the deaths you feel the hardest are the ones of people who's character and values line up with how you live. As crazy as it is, they're idols at the end of the day. In the case of Kobe, he wasn't my ultimate role model or inspiration, but he was an example to look upon on what it meant to be a professional, to demand excellence out of yourself and others, to do everything you can in order to succeed. That's what Kobe Bean Bryant taught me, even though I never met the man a day in his life.

We're going on two days later, and it's still hard to sum up in words. I still catch myself tearing up every now and then for all 9 lives that were lost in the crash, because everyone on that helicopter were just going to go support those girls play basketball.

RIP Mamba. RIP Mambacita. RIP to John, Keri and Alyssa Altobelli. RIP Chirstina Mauser. RIP Sarah and Payton Chester. RIP Ara Zobayan.

I'd like to take time to think about his widow and other children for a moment. She's not only lost a husband and a daughter, but they've lost a father and a sister that they will never know growing up.

• Like 3

Very well said, @GhostMachine. As hard as this is affecting all of his fans, friends, and the rest of the world, at the end of the day, he was a family man and no body could being to even imagine the pain they are going through. Hopefully they have a good support system around them, shielding them from the media and the horrific pictures and news that are starting to come out.

And that goes to the victims of everybody else involved, not just the Bryants.

Edited by Pooker
  • Like 1

I wish I knew how to share the video on here, but everybody should seek out what Shaq had to say on TNT tonight. Incredibly sad, but at the same time, makes you really appreciate the little things. 

Edited by Pooker
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

I'd like to take time to think about his widow and other children for a moment. She's not only lost a husband and a daughter, but they've lost a father and a sister that they will never know growing up.

My heart hurts whenever I think about Vanessa. Can't even imagine the pain she must be going through. To lose your child might be the most cruel thing that ca happen to you, but to lose the man you've been married to for almost 20 years at the same time, regardless of what happened since. 

The eldest as well, her world is just absolutely broken. 

As a culture, we sometimes forget how many lives are affected by an accident that takes away a life. The families that were directly affected are going through even more immense pain than anything their fans are experiencing. Really is a reminder that the old cliche of "hug and tell your loved ones you love them, because you never know what will happen" isn't just something we should always shrug off. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

I know the league-wide retiring of numbers hasn't happened but I'm thinking we'll see 8 and 24 basically never be worn again. Every guy currently playing either knew him personally or admired him growing up, and they'll set that precedent.

I'm actually not sure if I'm behind an official league retirement. Feels wrong to me, but I can't place why.

Everywhere you look in LA there's memorial stuff. Even the buses say 'RIP KOBE', not just on the front placard but on the back. Kobe was really the biggest sports star in Los Angeles history.

I can't get behind league retirement - it just feels a bit empty.  Frankly I don't really agree with the Mavericks taking #24 out of circulation either.  Not trying to sound insensitive but no matter how tragic it was I don't see why a player who never played for your team dying is grounds to retire the number forever.

In general I just don't like retiring numbers for guys who never played for the team.  The one exception to this is Robinson's #42 because of how important breaking the color barrier was.  Don't like that the Heat retired #23 for Jordan who never played there.  Don't agree with those who have lobbied for #23 to be retired everywhere, or similar calls to retire Ruth's #3 throughout baseball.  Really don't like Gretzky's #99 being retired leaguewide......I just don't think any player needs to be deified to that level.

I'm not for officially retiring #8 and #24, because at that point you have to do #23, and then Pandora's box is open and no one wants that.

However, I am with an unofficial retirement like #66 and the NHL. I think that's enough proper respect to honor someone who had an impact on not only the generation that is phasing out and the current one, but the one coming up as well (the future players that are in high school right now). Let that be their way of saying thank you.

I also understand Cuban's decision because you can tell he has the same type of respect for Kobe that Riley has for Jordan.

4 hours ago, Blaze09 said:

I also understand Cuban's decision because you can tell he has the same type of respect for Kobe that Riley has for Jordan.

Riley had the number retired during Jordan's last visit to Miami when he was still playing.  Nobody's worn #24 in Dallas since Kobe retired but I don't think it was anything intentional - he's only been retired for a few years and there are only 15 players on a team.

Not saying Cuban doesn't respect Kobe or anything but it just feels overly reactionary.