Sign in to follow this  
Maxx

NFL 2019

Going through our defence like a hot knife through butter.

7 drives, 7 touchdowns, good grief. In video game terminology this isn't switching on easy mode, this is getting an extra controller, putting it as playing as your opposition, and just leaving the controller to do nothing.

• Like 1

To be fair, the lead was built off two special team plays and a blown coverage. It was a artificial lead in a way. Not surprised it was unsustainable. 

7 consecutive TDs is a surprise though!

I3ApcTG_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

Aww Jimmy Johnson

Way overdue

• Like 3

f9ozwsbiqfa41.gif

• Like 3

On 23/12/2019 at 23:55, GoGo Yubari said:

Im-Back.gif

bailingout1.gif

Pat Shurmur is the new OC in Denver.

• Haha 1

1. Jimmy Johnson should have been inducted 10+ years ago.

2. FUCK THE PACKERS!

3. I'm predicting the Titans beat the Chiefs, but the Packers beat the 49ers. 

4. The Broncos could have done worse than hiring Shurmur. As long as there's no chance of him becoming head coach down the road, they should be fine.

5. See #2.

• Like 1

I've never seen a game as crazy as tat Texans/Chiefs matchup. Titans/Chiefs will be fun.

The Eagles will be featured on Amazon's "All or Nothing" series this year.

Let's go anyone but the Packers - I really just don't want to listen to the packers fans in my area and social media gloat about it

• Like 1

Yea, pretty sure Antonio Brown is done in the league

• Confused 1

The Fritz Pollard Alliance issued a scathing reaction Monday to the NFL's most recent coaching hires, saying the league's "abysmal record of hiring people of color in high ranking levels of NFL management" is the result of a "flawed system" that must be changed.

The Alliance, an independent organization that works with the NFL to champion diversity, called on the league to "develop specific diversity action plans to improve diversity in all aspects of management."

Five teams have filled their head-coaching positions during the past two weeks, but only one was a minority: new Washington Redskins coach Ron Rivera. Only three of the past 20 coaching hires were minorities, and there are currently four black head coaches in the league. The 2019 NFL racial and gender report card, issued by the University of Central Florida, said that NFL minority hiring is at its worst in the past 15 years.

According to the Alliance, 70.1% of NFL players are minorities. There is only one black general manager and no black team presidents.

"We are in a battle for social justice," the statement read. "The current system of hiring and promoting talent into the upper levels of NFL management is a flawed system. We cannot expect fairness if business remains status quo. Our focus must shift from counting emblematic victories each year to calling for measurable initiatives that support sustainable progress."

The NFL's Rooney Rule requires every team to interview a qualified minority candidate for head-coaching jobs, but it does not affect the hiring decisions of owners. The Alliance called on the NFL to recognize that devotion to diversity can bring "profound good" to the game and would embrace "a belief that the benefactors who contribute to the business of football should also share in the benefits. It embraces a core belief that the Game should be accessible at every level for those that possess the skills and who have the resources to meet their aspirations."

The problem is I don't know any realistic way the NFL can change its system at this point.  You can't force teams to hire minority head coaches.  But the owners are going to continue to have their biases.  If you want a fair process, they need to be taken out of the decision.  But again, that's never going to happen.  And Goodell works for the owners so he'll never push for it.

The biggest change I could see is maybe an independent party is required to sit in on head coaching interviews or hold their own round of interviews with candidates for each job, and they'd make their own recommendation to ownership.  If nothing else it would get another voice in the room.  If you have someone like Eric Bieniemy being recommended for every job and getting none of them, it'll at least force the owners to publicly justify their decisions and be held to account.

• Like 3

Antonio Gates has formally retired.

3 hours ago, Carlos Buschtran said:

The problem is I don't know any realistic way the NFL can change its system at this point.  You can't force teams to hire minority head coaches.  But the owners are going to continue to have their biases.  If you want a fair process, they need to be taken out of the decision.  But again, that's never going to happen.  And Goodell works for the owners so he'll never push for it.

The biggest change I could see is maybe an independent party is required to sit in on head coaching interviews or hold their own round of interviews with candidates for each job, and they'd make their own recommendation to ownership.  If nothing else it would get another voice in the room.  If you have someone like Eric Bieniemy being recommended for every job and getting none of them, it'll at least force the owners to publicly justify their decisions and be held to account.

I'm with ya on that, you cant force them and I don't think any minority community would want something like that just handed to them.

But that independent party idea at least sounds intriguing, if nothing else it could help better enforce that everyone is getting a fair shot. And maybe the Rooney Rule needs to be increased?

I knew the allure of the NFL would be too much for him. Some guys like coaching in college more, but he was an NFL guy before LSU. And he supposedly doesn't care for recruiting, which is like half the job on Orgeron's staff.