NFL 2019

Maxx

I mean...he did just devastate their franchise completely out of the blue, like a week and a half before the season starts.  It’s an understandable first response

"Andrew Luck retires, boo'd off field in preseason game" is a strange headline

Seven years in the league:

-Torn shoulder labrum
-Torn abdomen
-Two torn ribs
-Lacerated kidney that caused him to piss blood
-At least one concussion, probably more that were undiagnosed with how often he was taking hits behind a terrible Colts O-line for years
-And now calf and ankle issues that he's been dealing with this year

Luck owes the fans nothing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Trent Buschetta said:

-At least one concussion, probably more that were undiagnosed with how often he was taking hits behind a terrible Colts O-line for years

5 minutes ago, Howdy Cloudy said:

My favorite thing about Andrew Luck is that he'll congratulate opposition players on good hits on him.

I wonder if the two are related :shifty: 

10 minutes ago, Trent Buschetta said:

Seven years in the league:

-Torn shoulder labrum
-Torn abdomen
-Two torn ribs
-Lacerated kidney that caused him to piss blood
-And now calf and ankle issues that he's been dealing with this year

Luck owes the fans nothing.

Annnnd then he abruptly retired two weeks before the season started.  It’s not about owing anyone anything, it’s entirely understand the fans would be pissed off at him for doing this as their first reaction.  This could potentially set their franchise back for years.  

The Colts shouldn't be in the Tank for Tua sweepstakes.  There's enough of a team around Brisett and the AFC South isn't the greatest of divisions.  They might not get to the playoffs, but they should have at least 6-7 wins.

Now the Giants, they should of passed on Daniel Jones and went on the Tank for Tua.

The fans can react however they want, this is America and you still (as of this moment) have your right to free speech but...

...anyone that booed Andrew Luck is a dumbass.

That man has given up a lot of his bodily and mental well being trying desperately to drag the Colts to a Super Bowl win for them. He isn't going to a rival team, he isn't holding out for a new contract, he isn't demanding a trade. He's giving up his multi-million dollar job to preserve his quality of life for both himself and his family. 

I love football but it's not worth someone dying on the field or being put in assisted living immediately after their career is over just so my team can win a title.

• Like 6

The timing of it is the only reason I can see why somebody would boo him. Finding out your franchise QB is retiring in the middle of a game, one in which you can see him laughing and joking on the sidelines? I could see why they would be upset. Bad form on whoever broke the news, instead of letting Luck announce it himself.

Oh yeah I think the way the news broke and the herd mentality in the crowd definitely affected the reaction. Some sports fans are dumbasses no matter what but some are really emotional about their team and if they hear the news, see him on the field, and then hear boos they'll just jump in. And the fans not booing were just gonna stay quiet. I know I would have. I'm not standing up to a drunk guy prone to violence for booing Luck.

I can't honestly say I wouldn't have booed last night. I would have regretted it today but if I'm at a game and optimistic that my team might have a good chance this year and then our franchise QB retires "out of the blue" I imagine I would react emotionally. Now if people are still talking shit about him today that's where I take issue but I think it was an understandable, but regrettable action from a fanbase that just got gut punched. I mean has there ever been a retirement that happened in this fashion?

• Like 1

• Sad 3

Just by doing a quick gauge of Colts boards, the people mad at Luck feel he owed the team this season, that if he'd told them he was retiring at the end of the year everyone would be okay with it.  They're likening it to walking out of a job rather than at least putting your two weeks in.

First off, the comparison is bunk because the "real world" and sports are totally different.  But if you want to be technical, the point of giving two weeks notice is to allow the company to transition your work to other people.  Well, the Colts now have two weeks to prepare for Brissett being the starter.  It's not like Luck just walked out of practice during the middle of the season.

But let's play ball.  Say Luck gives the Colts one last year.  They're likely to be pretty good.  Very possibly a playoff team.  But if you have a star QB that you know is leaving and no backup plan, it's gotta be Super Bowl or bust.  Is this team good enough to get past both the Pats AND the Chiefs?  More likely is that they end up with a draft pick in the mid 20s and no long-term plan at QB.

At least now, they can learn if Brissett is good enough to be a starter.  And if he's not, they're probably going to be in a position where they can make a realistic play for one of the big three QBs in the 2020 class.  I know emotional fans don't want to hear it but if Luck's heart wasn't in it, it's far better for the long-term future of the team that he exits now.

• Like 2