NFL 2019

Maxx

Cowboys always do this shit where they lock up 3 or 4 core superstars for above what they're actually worth and then don't have the money to fill in holes elsewhere and as a result never make it past the wild card round. It's like they're taking being good at scouting and coaching and sabotaging it by being bad at managing the salary cap.

So based on that I think Dak's getting the biggest contract in history.

The problem now is that it’s the 3 most offensive skill positions, one of which is the most expensive position.   Signing Dak to $30 million isn’t great but it’s basically what the market demands, and in a few years it’s going to look reasonable.

10 hours ago, Maxx said:

The problem now is that it’s the 3 most offensive skill positions, one of which is the most expensive position.   Signing Dak to $30 million isn’t great but it’s basically what the market demands, and in a few years it’s going to look reasonable.

Yeah as the cap and average salaries go up the QB deals look reasonable. It's a weird window where when that huge QB contract starts a team usually takes a step back and then they retool with a lot of rookie contracts. Seahawks did it with Wilson, Saints with Brees have done it twice, Steelers with Ben, Colts with Luck, Ravens had basically done it with Flacco before they got Lamar. Eagles will have to do it with Wentz at about the same time that the Cowboys are doing it with Dak.

I think in some regards if they altered the NFL salary cap to create positional caps or a rule where one salary is off the books (basically your QB salary) then teams would overall be better and bring a higher quality of play instead of the constant roster reshuffling teams do to stay under the cap. I don't like it when a team is punished for drafting and scouting well is what I'm saying.

Jerry is still chasing the Triplets era, and they built their team around an on-field meta that doesn't match the leagues current financial meta, basing it around Zeke. So you end up with Zeke wanting a ton of money because they have a pre-2004 offense, while Dak wants a ton of money because that's how QB contracts work.

They should pay Zeke and Cooper. I wouldn't pay Dak, I don't think he's a top 10 QB (maybe, I'd have to actually make a list), and I think you can find someone to fill that role on that team.

If I had to choose I wouldn't pay Zeke because the drop off to a cheaper RB is more than offset by the cost savings. QB is a risk because of scarcity and WR is pretty close, look at the Ravens who have gone 23 years without a true number 1 WR. But you can take an UDFA RB put them behind a good line and get production.

The issue is you just will forever be running into this problem with a quarterback.  If they slotted in Kellen Moore and he did well and took them to the playoffs, then he's going to want $30 million, because that's what starting QBs who take their teams to the playoffs, and Jimmy Garoppolo, make in the NFL when they aren't on rookie deals right now.  

Who has won a Superbowl with big money shelled out on offense lately?  The Pats get there constantly because Brady never asked for a giant contract and they've never had to shell out big money to any skill position players besides Gronk recently.  Rams put most of their money into their defense, broke the bank with Gurley, but because Goff is on a rookie contract they had the flexibility to do that.  Falcons went before Matt Ryan got his big contract.  Damshow is dead on, you draft well and get yourself a small window, then you're fucked when its time to pay those players. 

13 minutes ago, Maxx said:

The issue is you just will forever be running into this problem with a quarterback.  If they slotted in Kellen Moore and he did well and took them to the playoffs, then he's going to want $30 million, because that's what starting QBs who take their teams to the playoffs, and Jimmy Garoppolo, make in the NFL when they aren't on rookie deals right now.  

Who has won a Superbowl with big money shelled out on offense lately?  The Pats get there constantly because Brady never asked for a giant contract and they've never had to shell out big money to any skill position players besides Gronk recently.  Rams put most of their money into their defense, broke the bank with Gurley, but because Goff is on a rookie contract they had the flexibility to do that.  Falcons went before Matt Ryan got his big contract.  Damshow is dead on, you draft well and get yourself a small window, then you're fucked when its time to pay those players. 

I'm not really arguing this, and I don't really disagree with either of you.

I just wouldn't pay Dak because I don't think he's actually that good. I think a QB worth that money, with the team the Cowboys had around him, even under a rookie contract, would have done more. They haven't made it out of the divisional round, while other teams with, arguably, less talent, like the Eagles and Rams, have made Superbowls.

Edit: How the fuck have we had 4 fucking Raiders segments on First Take? 

Umm in what world were the Rams less talented than the Cowboys?  I can't be objective when judging the Eagles, because they suck regardless, but that Rams team last year was stacked on both sides of the ball.  Unlike the Cowboys, who still had to deal with Romo's contract and Dez' contract for most of Dak's rookie year, the Rams had cap room and spent it.

And "A QB worth that money" is not really an applicable term now, because like it or not, and ooooh boy I sure don't like it, that's what the market now says QB like Dak is now worth, thanks to teams like the 49ers shelling out huge money for far less accomplished players. 

I agree with Maxx about the Eagles and Rams. The Rams might even be better this year than last. 

If anyone, I wouldn't pay Zeke. At least not until the preseason is over. If one of the other RBs looks good by the end, fuck Zeke. Tony Pollard is showing some promise, according to some reports. And it does take the whole preseason to really be sure. Though none of the RBs  really looked all that good in the 49ers game.

Dak wanting $40 million is laughable. But in the end, I will not be surprised if Jones pays it. If he does, and the Cowboys don't make at least a deep playoff run, they should let him walk once the contract is up. No way he'll get $40 million then.

Glad the Antonio Brown helmet bullshit has been taken care of.  But Tom Brady apparently isn't a fan of the new helmets, either.

Edited by GhostMachine

Would you two agree that the Cowboys are in the same tier of talent as both those teams?

I may be underestimating the Rams, though. Better WRs, Goff is better, obviously better coaching. Cowboys are better on the o-line and at linebacker. Rams probably have the better d-line which I somehow didn't think about. I think it's close, but Aaron Donald probably does put the Rams a tier above the Cowboys, they don't have a piece as good as that.

Answering DMN's question, I'd put them on the same tier as the Eagles, but not the Rams. I also think the Eagles may regret keeping Wentz over Foles, if (when) Wentz gets hurt again.

Dallas has had some bad luck, and I don't think they'll ever make it to a Super Bowl with Jason Garrett as their head coach. I've been wanting them to dump Garrett for going on three years now.

Edited by GhostMachine