NFL 2019

Maxx

The early feeling the Giants beat writers get is that Eli doesn’t want to be traded.  He and his wife have four kids under the age of eight and he doesn’t much want to uproot his life at this stage of his career especially when he already has two rings.

I could see the team offering him the chance to take some snaps in the second half of their final home game so the crowd can say goodbye to him, but he doesn’t seem like somebody who would want that.  I’d be surprised if he didn’t retire after the season.

I know a lot of Giants fans have crapped on Eli for years because they waited far too long to start thinking about the future.  But I think whatever bitterness the fans have for him will be gone by 2021 when they bring back the 2011 team for an anniversary celebration.

55 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Trade him to the Jets. He stays in New York, gets play time while Darnold is out, and can mentor Darnold when he returns.

The Jets aren't really playing for anything, which would warrant getting Eli.  Would the Jets give up more than a 7th rounder for an emergency QB making that much money?

If they were a QB away from a playoff run, maybe go for it.  But there's holes in a lot of spots.

Honestly, I'm a firm believer in having a young QB learn from a veteran. Rather its learning from sitting the bench or having that veteran QB on the bench, it's how I would want to train a new QB in the NFL. Is that worth giving up a 7th rounder for two years to somebody making that much money? Glad I'm not a GM and having to make that call.

The thing is, he’s not a Drew Brees or even a Phillip Rivers veteran that has shown he will carry the team by himself. Eli’s not that guy anymore. If you’re good enough to compete, you likely have someone already better than Eli and if you don’t, getting him and eating that cap space is not going to make you good enough for the trade to payoff. Never mind the fact that, as stated, he likely has no desire to up and move his family in the middle of what will likely be his final season.

3 minutes ago, DMN said:

I was annoyed by ESPN passing Kaepernick this morning, but if a team is gonna do that, then why the fuck not sign Kaepernick?

Whilst I'm not defending it, and I would probably prefer Kaepernick as a player, Vick does have experience with the Steelers playbook, and it's not liked its changed much since he retired.

21 minutes ago, Meacon said:

The thing is, he’s not a Drew Brees or even a Phillip Rivers veteran that has shown he will carry the team by himself. Eli’s not that guy anymore. If you’re good enough to compete, you likely have someone already better than Eli and if you don’t, getting him and eating that cap space is not going to make you good enough for the trade to payoff. Never mind the fact that, as stated, he likely has no desire to up and move his family in the middle of what will likely be his final season.

If he's going anywhere, and the money gets eaten significantly, I could see him waving his no trade to go to Jacksonville. 

I also would approve of him being traded for Jalen Ramsey. >_>

13 hours ago, RoHitman Reigns said:

Apparently the Steelers are bringing in Vick for a tryout after hes a couple years removed from the league

yet kap is still blackballed

I don't see how a 39 year old Michael Vick who hasn't played since 2015 is the solution to any problem. Not like he's a scheme fit for any team either. He's a short, mobile and left-handed. It's a major adjustment to put him into any offence.

I think the Kaep stuff is a combination of:

1. His reputation beyond the kneeling controversy
  2. His play on the field and style of play
  3. What he reputedly wants as a contract and role

That being said, he's certainly better than some of the other QBs out there on the market right now TODAY but at this point he's a very known commodity in terms of what he can do as a QB.

• The Jags have Minshew to try out and there's almost 0 chance Kaep signs for a team in Florida
  • The Saints have Bridgewater who has starter potential, Taysom Hill who Payton is high on, and Brees will be back this season
  • The Steelers have Mason Rudolph to try out and Big Ben's return isn't a guarantee so they need to know what they have in Rudolph who was a 3rd rounder (I tried finding the Vick news but didn't see any articles - the only link to it for 2019 gives me a 404 but it wouldn't surprise me if they brought him on as a backup)
  • The Jets have Darnold who is their guy of the future who needs playing time and a stable situation and is aiming to be back by week 5

Where in any of those situations does a 31 year old QB with mediocre talent who plays an outdated collegiate Read-option style of play who has been out of the game for 3 years and who didn't have a sterling reputation in the locker room before this whole mess and certainly does not have one afterwards fit in on any of those situations.

I just don't see it - Kenny Stills kneels in freaking Texas of all places and yet still has a job and was praised for his character by the Houston Chief of Police, Eric Reid is still taking a knee and is constantly targeted by the NFL for drug tests but he still starts every game

If teams thought Kaep was a viable option for a starter role for their team, he'd be on a team. Ray Rice was still employed by the Ravens right up until the video came out of him Mortal Kombat'ing his lady - why? Because after an injury he was starting to find his Pro Bowl form at the end of 2013 and their other options at the point the video came out was untested Justin Forsett and Bernard Pierce. Had that video not been released, he'd have suited up for the Ravens after his 2 game suspension.

2 hours ago, JMarushin said:

I think the Kaep stuff is a combination of:

1. His reputation beyond the kneeling controversy
  2. His play on the field and style of play
  3. What he reputedly wants as a contract and role

That being said, he's certainly better than some of the other QBs out there on the market right now TODAY but at this point he's a very known commodity in terms of what he can do as a QB.

• The Jags have Minshew to try out and there's almost 0 chance Kaep signs for a team in Florida
  • The Saints have Bridgewater who has starter potential, Taysom Hill who Payton is high on, and Brees will be back this season
  • The Steelers have Mason Rudolph to try out and Big Ben's return isn't a guarantee so they need to know what they have in Rudolph who was a 3rd rounder (I tried finding the Vick news but didn't see any articles - the only link to it for 2019 gives me a 404 but it wouldn't surprise me if they brought him on as a backup)
  • The Jets have Darnold who is their guy of the future who needs playing time and a stable situation and is aiming to be back by week 5

Where in any of those situations does a 31 year old QB with mediocre talent who plays an outdated collegiate Read-option style of play who has been out of the game for 3 years and who didn't have a sterling reputation in the locker room before this whole mess and certainly does not have one afterwards fit in on any of those situations.

I just don't see it - Kenny Stills kneels in freaking Texas of all places and yet still has a job and was praised for his character by the Houston Chief of Police, Eric Reid is still taking a knee and is constantly targeted by the NFL for drug tests but he still starts every game

If teams thought Kaep was a viable option for a starter role for their team, he'd be on a team. Ray Rice was still employed by the Ravens right up until the video came out of him Mortal Kombat'ing his lady - why? Because after an injury he was starting to find his Pro Bowl form at the end of 2013 and their other options at the point the video came out was untested Justin Forsett and Bernard Pierce. Had that video not been released, he'd have suited up for the Ravens after his 2 game suspension.

I agree with all that about Kaepernick. The other reason he doesn't have a job (though its kind of part of #3) is that he thinks he should just outright be handed the starting job. If he was willing to be a backup or at least compete for the starter role, he'd probably have already been signed by a team.

Also, the one team I think would never sign him is the Ravens, because of that stupid Twitter post his girlfriend made.

I would not mind him back in the league as long as a. He stops the protesting and kneeling. and b. Isn't a Cowboy or Titan. 

Another thing? People have inquired a few times if I've wished injuries on players. The answer to that is hell no. But if Ray Rice had ever been allowed back in the league once he was done after the video came out, he would have been the exception. You do that to a woman, you deserve a broken neck.

5 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Why can’t he protest and kneel, GM? Just “Shut up and do ya job, boy!”, right?

It's abundantly clear that GM hasn't been following this at all considering that Kaepernick's people have said he is willing to take 'any position'. He's clearly willing to be a back-up.

Every team that loses a QB is always going to have a more 'reasonable' back-up plan than a guy who hasn't played in three years. That's the issue for Kaepernick, that literally every team can ignore him for completely feasible 'football reasons'. It's not starters he needs to go down, it's back-ups, no one is taking him over a guy who might be less talented but has been in the organization, even if it's only been a few weeks.

He definitely deserves a chance, I'm just not sure where it could happen.

• Like 1