NFL 2019

Maxx

I always assumed the league constantly proposing an 18 game schedule they knew would never pass was just so they could negotiate back down to what they actually wanted ahead of the next CBA negotiation.  With that said, the 18 game schedule has reportedly been scrapped.  New proposal on the table from the NFL:

-Later start to training camp
-Preseason reduced to 2 games, 3 for the teams that play in the Hall of Fame Game 
-2 scheduled scrimmages per team at camp which functionally replaces the lost preseason games
-17 game regular season
-Playoffs expanded to 14 teams, #1 seed in each conference gets a bye
-With these changes, the Super Bowl would be in mid-February

I kinda like the idea of the top seed being the only one to get a bye week - adds more importance to playing until everything is clinched.  But if I was doing that it would be a 10 team playoff with 1 wild card, not the other way around.  You just know when the year comes that the 12-4 #2 seed gets knocked off by the 8-8 third Wild Card there's going to be a complete shitstorm.

I do wonder how it would work schedule wise for that Wild Card weekend.  The most practical would be triple headers on Saturday and Sunday (1 PM, 4:30 PM, 8 PM).

But since the league doesn't believe in oversaturation I could see the Saturday and Sunday games remaining unchanged while extra playoff games happen on both Friday and Monday night despite the fact that it's an unfair advantage/disadvantage for those teams heading into the next round.

The problem with giving the #1 seed only a bye is how unbalanced schedules are. Giving it also to the #2 balances things out a bit.

A 17-game regular season is stupid, does every team get a neutral site game built in? Only way to do it otherwise some teams have 9 home games, others have 8. Must be a joy for teams that live off of season ticket revenue to say "hey you're gonna pay the same price as last year but get one less game."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

What happened to the Patriots kicker? He just missed an XP

There's been four of those so far this year.  Usually he does poorly in Miami.  Looks to be a little breezy today in Buffalo.  Does have a new holder this year too, since Allen was cut.

Just now, Lineker said:

Haskins is in for Washington.

Outside of Mahomes when is the last time someone has held their young QB out and put them in when they wanted to? Everyone always says they are going to and then end up putting the poor bastards in at like halftime of a random game or something.

yea that was a TD in the Lions/Chiefs game.  Ball movement does not equal loss of control