NFL 2019

Maxx

1 hour ago, livid said:

He's hurt more by having a shorter career than playing in Detroit really. 

Both Moss and Owens played 80+ more games than Johnson. This is the real answer.

9 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Yeah Fitz, Megatron, Tim Brown are all in that next group.

Cris Carter and Michael Irvin in that group, imo, as well.

What I liked on Hard Knocks this week is that you can see why a guys like Glennon and Peterman can't hack it as starters in the NFL, aside from skill, especially in Peterman's case.  Just no energy or urgency or hype in the huddle at all, really bad at rallying or leading.

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself - if you have to pick a player for:

1. Winning one game
  2. As a cornerstone of a franchise

Who are you going to take?

In both cases, I think TO slides way down the list based on his actions which go way beyond being cocky. I loved his celebrations and his confidence, but it turned into things that damaged his team.

If you need to win one game - there's tons of guys I'd want as my top receiver before TO. And if I am building a franchise from scratch, there's tons of other receivers I'd want before TO. He has the numbers and he had the talent to be a top 3 receiver - but at the end of the day, those antics do factor in. 

10 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself - if you have to pick a player for:

1. Winning one game
  2. As a cornerstone of a franchise

Who are you going to take?

In both cases, I think TO slides way down the list based on his actions which go way beyond being cocky. I loved his celebrations and his confidence, but it turned into things that damaged his team.

If you need to win one game - there's tons of guys I'd want as my top receiver before TO. And if I am building a franchise from scratch, there's tons of other receivers I'd want before TO. He has the numbers and he had the talent to be a top 3 receiver - but at the end of the day, those antics do factor in. 

TO balled out in the Super Bowl with a broken leg. One game, I might not take anyone over him.

• Like 2

Difference is that if Jerry Rice said he wanted to come out of retirement for one more season, you'd have 32 teams blowing up his phone. Owens hasn't given up getting signed and he's only slightly ahead of Kaepernick on the chances of being signed this year. 

I love Jerry Rice but I have a hard time buying that 32 teams would be interested in signing a 56 year old. 

Also, TO showed up big in in playoff games so if the criteria is needing him for one game, I'm not sure why his "antics" would matter at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, livid said:

I love Jerry Rice but I have a hard time buying that 32 teams would be interested in signing a 56 year old. 

Also, TO showed up big in in playoff games so if the criteria is needing him for one game, I'm not sure why his "antics" would matter at all. 

1 hour ago, DMN said:

TO balled out in the Super Bowl with a broken leg. One game, I might not take anyone over him.

He no-showed a lot of playoff games too:

• 96 - rookie year so meh
  • 97 - a meh game and a decent game
  • 98 - nothing special overall, did score a great game winner but also did lose a fumble
  • 01 - No show
  • 02 - He bodied the Giants and then was invisible against the bucs
  • 04 - Played through an injury like a warrior and had a good game, but wasn't (understandably) a world beater
  • 06 - Outplayed by Jason Witten and a Punt Returner
  • 07 - Not dominant but did score a touchdown

And yes he was a warrior in terms of fighting through injury but he also created a lot of controversy that took away from his teams and I don't feel he was dominant enough to justify that versus several of those other elite receivers.

I forgot that Rice was a Bronco in 2005, but at the end of preseason when he was told he’d made the roster but would be the 5th or 6th receiver he opted for retirement.

It would’ve been his age 43 season.  Had he theoretically been okay being at the bottom of the depth chart I wonder how long he would’ve kept playing.

8 hours ago, DMN said:

The greatest broken leg Super Bowl player since Jack Youngblood!

8 hours ago, Maxx said:

I don’t think anyone is rushing to sign 56 year old Jerry Rice

If they do, they might as well sign Emmitt Smith while they're at it.

Marvin Harrison and Art Monk were pretty good also. 

Rice is the best, probably the easiest position to determine a greatest of all-time. Calvin Johnson may have been the most athletically gifted (along with Moss) but he obviously doesn't have the stats to back it up.

I think it is somewhat fair to say if he played for another team he'd probably be higher on the list. He wouldn't have retired early if he wasn't a Lion. 

He was something else though, shame we wasted his career (kind of like Barry...)