NFL 2019

Maxx

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

Cowardly punt percentiles. What a world. :lol: 

41 minutes ago, DMN said:

I *think* it's a Jon Bois thing. I know he did a video on the worst punt ever.

Hope you have 55 minutes to waste watching for the saddest punt ever and learning about the Surrender Index!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pooker said:

I can't figure out if that's a look of confusing on Eli's face or a look of disgust.

100% confusion - "Dan, you didn't close your eyes, how do you expect to hit a pass downfield if you don't close your eyes, we talked about this buddy"

It wouldn’t have impacted the game as the Giants were losing no matter what, but there was DPI against Golden Tate that was one of the most blatant non-calls I’ve ever seen.  The feeling was universal, even amongst Boston sports writers.

Yet even after Shurmur (who was extremely vocal about the refs last week) threw the challenge flag, the refs upheld the call.

There’s a theory now that the referee union was looking for the chance to do something like this in a prime time game, where they refuse to reverse a blatant DPI call on the field even after review.  It’s their way of voicing displeasure about the rule to the NFL as it’s put them under even more scrutiny.

And it might’ve worked, as Goodell today more or less admitted that the DPI review rule was an overcorrection.  So it could well be gone in 2020.

I was talking about it with other people yesterday and I gotta kind of side with the refs here. Allowing nuanced penalties to be litigated is a Pandora's Box. Suddenly you're looking at coaches throwing flags on big runs to try and get a holding call (there's always holding in slow-motion), penalties like PI and defensive holding turning into ridiculous spectacles like "what is a catch?", and so on. League pivoted hard because Sean Payton cried loud enough and I think the refs know what DPI challenges are going to lead to.

There could be a compromise here -- red zone, scoring plays, turnovers, within the last 2 minutes -- the refs can be told to review something. Doesn't just have to be PI, but any blatantly missed penalty can be called down to the field for review. I wonder if that's the route they'll go. It takes it out of the coach's hands to challenge but lets the refs correct their mistakes in game.

Granted in the playoffs that won't matter since they're All-Star Teams and those guys have such egos they're all afraid of telling another guy they're wrong, but nothing is perfect.