Football Manager 2020

Lineker

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

Alena should walk into the Newcastle team if he's as good in the game as he is in real life. 

I don't know if he's quite as highly rated in game as real life but he is certainly an upgrade to Jonjo fucking Shelvey who is now relegated to sitting on the bench and polishing his bald head for £70K p/w(!). Seriously Shelvey is trash. Alena, Sean Longstaff and Isaac Hayden are all playing before him. Matty Longstaff would be, too, but he's playing U23's. Oh and if Joelinton gets injured I am fucked. Andy Carroll has made 2 appearances off the bench (allegedly, there's no statistical proof that he took part in the games), and Dwight Gayle has returned from injury to play in 4 games off the bench and contribute absolutely nothing. Neither have even performed well with the U23's. I think Muto will be my replacement for Joelinton if he gets a knock 😕

1 minute ago, Baddar said:

Is Asprilla still knocking about somewhere? 

I wish! It is funny you should mention him as I have my scouts looking into his fellow Colombian striker Alfredo Morelos from Rangers. The board flipped flopped and decided to give me an extra £18M and hopefully I can flog Carroll, Gayle & Shelvey off in January to raise some funds.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2020 at 22:17, Arjen Robben said:

My Tottenham squad in this network save I've been playing with a few people, just after the January window of the first season has closed, is what can only be described as a nonsense.

zwfeJEc.png

Everyone fuming at me for spending £363m :lol:

start giving Erik Lamela the respect he deserves!! 

When fit, he's weirdly really good for me. You just gotta show him a bit of love. 

I did start an FM game this year - with Spurs as well - also ended up with Ruben Dias. But man, Harry Kane misses so many one on one chances, it's completely killed me results wise. I just can't figure out how to get the best out of him, despite my team making a bunch of changes. Kinda nice to hear they've patched finishing. 

I also bought Bruno Fernandes and Atal, and made Lo Celso permanent. 

Similarly, sold Eriksen to United for 90m because PSG never came in for him and Liverpool took Toby. 

But just can't sustain big interest - or I don't want to because I'm too worried about losing my life to this silly game. 

52 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

When fit, he's weirdly really good for me. You just gotta show him a bit of love. 

I did start an FM game this year - with Spurs as well - also ended up with Ruben Dias. But man, Harry Kane misses so many one on one chances, it's completely killed me results wise. I just can't figure out how to get the best out of him, despite my team making a bunch of changes. Kinda nice to hear they've patched finishing. 

Similarly, sold Eriksen to United for 90m because PSG never came in for him and Liverpool took Toby. 

But just can't sustain big interest - or I don't want to because I'm too worried about losing my life to this silly game. 

The one on ones being missed is getting fixed, I think you can opt in to a Beta with an updated match engine if it's killing your game.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2020 at 04:55, Baddar said:

I remember reading that if you're at a club with Excellent/Very Good training facilities, a player will grow more just by staying there on the bench than if they go to a lesser team on loan. Can't speak for FM 2020 but that's been the case in the last few at least. 

Mental stat growth always requires game time.

Not that I can take a great deal of credit, since I loaned him in purely on the basis of my DoF's recommendation (such are the NLTL rules and my scouts were too slow), but after having multiple reporters asking questions that amounting to "Are you really going to play Morgan Roberts? We think he's shit"...it's pretty glorious to give him his first start as a "fuck you" and get rewarded with a perfect hat-trick.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

If it’s any consolation, Kane is shit for me too. I think primarily down to the one on one finishing. His stats there I think are padded because I missed a game session and he did this while I wasn’t there:

Ei3Z5td.png

Match engine is actually an active hinderance. Strikers seem to perform way better when the game just generates scores for you than actually playing the game.

Lamela I just can’t really find space for. Bernardeschi has been amazing on the right, and I’m so glad I have a £40m future fee in that loan. On the left Son has been pretty good, and I have Alli and Maddison as options there too. 

A solo striker set as a pressing forward has been my only way to create regular, consistent goalscorers (about a goal every other game). Most of my goals seem to come from the wings, though, especially if you use inverted wingers. I haven't opted in to the latest match engine Beta yet, though, so I'm not sure if that will make other types of strikers better (I would hope so).

This game is too easy sometimes!

In January I sold Dwight Gayle to West Brom for £9.25M, Emil Krafth to Burnley for £9.5M, Federico Fernandez to Everton for £4.6M, Jonjo Shelvey to Bournemouth for £15M, Rolando Aarons to FC Kobenhavn for £3.8M and Martin Dubravka to Al-Gharafa for £4M. No one was interested in Carroll, unsurprisingly.

This let me confirm Jetro Willems permanent signing for £7M (although he has been really inconsistent since), Jayden Bogle arrived and took over the RWB spot as previouisly arranged, since I was in continental contention I thought let's go all out and brought in Andre Onana as my new 'keeper for £38M, and signed Carles Alena permanently in a deal which I may end up regretting - had to meet his £65M release clause - £20M upfront and 3 installments of £15M each. Also got Spurs to send Troy Parrott to me on loan as well for £150K p/m.

End up floating around 7th for most of the season, knocked out of the Carabao Cup and FA Cup both in the quarter finals. Joelinton only picks up a few niggles and manages to play every single PL game, scoring 21 goals. Him, Alena, Fabian Schar, Jorge Mere and Allan Saint-Maximin manage to carry us to our final position of 3rd, something Newcastle haven't achieved since 02/03. The board has given me £80.48M in the transfer budget but only £115K p/w free in the wage budget. Still have a lot of rebuilding of the squad to do but now I have to keep hold of some home grown players since I'm in the Champions League way ahead of schedule. Need a backup striker to Joelinton. Parrott scored 3 goals in 9 games in all competitions (mostly off the bench) so I might see if I can extend his loan. Think I'll start from the back and work my way forwards and focus on defense.

Been a funner save than I expected already.

I'm in my first November and am currently underperforming, which is fun in a way...provided it gets sorted out soon. :shifty:

The crux of the matter was that my entire August was garbage, which I've still not really recovered from (my target is play-offs and I'm consistently about 5 points outside them). This was complicated further in early October when the squad atmosphere plunged through the floor...thanks to a combination of:

* making a player unhappy by trying to move him out (for the sake of the wage budget)...but not realising that he was the 2nd-most-influential player at the club (a game dynamic that has been introduced since I was last into FM...). And worse still, no one would take him so he remains sulking in the squad.
* another player getting upset because he thought a signing was going to replace him, and not believing me when I told him otherwise (thankfully, after 2 months of them both playing in the team together, he finally figured it out).
* some other petty stuff that I forget.

So yeah. Still only mid-table, and about £500pw over wage budget due to the aforementioned inability to successfully get rid of unwanted players. Need to sort at least one of those things out or this first NLTL run will be a short one.

10 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

* another player getting upset because he thought a signing was going to replace him, and not believing me when I told him otherwise (thankfully, after 2 months of them both playing in the team together, he finally figured it out).

I have this happen all the time. Example - I'm playing with 2 central midfielders one a BBM and one a DLP. DLP is playing like shit so I sign a new one BBM goes "Oh no you're replacing me?" No, dipshit, he clearly is a DLP and you are clearly a BBM you are not comparable in any way and he has been signed to complement you with how well you are playing, he'll be replacing your current partner. "Oh no he's replacing me I knew it..." *Locker room supports x against manager* fuuuuuuu

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RazorsEdge said:

I have this happen all the time. Example - I'm playing with 2 central midfielders one a BBM and one a DLP. DLP is playing like shit so I sign a new one BBM goes "Oh no you're replacing me?" No, dipshit, he clearly is a DLP and you are clearly a BBM you are not comparable in any way and he has been signed to complement you with how well you are playing, he'll be replacing your current partner. "Oh no he's replacing me I knew it..." *Locker room supports x against manager* fuuuuuuu

Once, in another fm my main playmaker got injured for 8 months around December and I had to buy someone in January because my backup was shit. 

That idiot got upset just like your BBM. After trying to tell him what I felt was the truth he was still upset so I thought "this is just a game, let's see if he relaxes a bit if I tell him not to worry that he will be the one playing" even if it didn't make much sense because he was injured. He was all like "I hope you keep your promise" and his morale did improve which is nonsensical but who am I to complain.

However, a few months later he was complaining I didn't keep my word and demanded to be transfer listed!

I hope this was fixed because it was very annoying.