Sign in to follow this  
Lineker

Football Manager 2020

My main irritation with replacing half the squad in lower leagues is impatience, really. It takes time to scout players and I just want to get on with it. :shifty:

But I've started the new season in the Vanarama National with 'only' eight signings, a predicted finish of 23rd and promotion odds of 1000-1...and I've got 10 points from the first four games. One goal conceded.

I feel this is getting ridiculous now. I can only presume that the following formation is somehow kryptonite to non-league opposition.

fm09.png

1 hour ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

Is that his Glory Hunter series? 

Yep: 

There's nothing quite as satisfying than when a defender who rejected your contract offer to go to another club in your division scores an own goal.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stokeriño said:

My main irritation with replacing half the squad in lower leagues is impatience, really. It takes time to scout players and I just want to get on with it. :shifty:

But I've started the new season in the Vanarama National with 'only' eight signings, a predicted finish of 23rd and promotion odds of 1000-1...and I've got 10 points from the first four games. One goal conceded.

I feel this is getting ridiculous now. I can only presume that the following formation is somehow kryptonite to non-league opposition.

fm09.png

I haven’t used another formation in FM since 2009

3 minutes ago, metalman said:

I haven’t used another formation in FM since 2009

From the looks of my game, the AI favours 5-3-2 and 4-4-2 at this level. I have seen a couple of 4-2-3-1s about...but the 'classic 4-3-3' as I call it ('4-1-2-3 DM Wide' is a stupid name, FM) seems strangely absent.

Does anyone else find that the game has a tendency to draw you to face a team in the FA Cup or Carabao Cup that you then have to face immediately again in the league within a few days, or really close together? I'm in season 3 and in season 1 I played Watford two games in a row, Everton twice with a game in between. Season 2 I didn't have any but this season I had Man Utd two games in a row, Man City two games in a row, and Southampton two games in a row. Had it happen a lot in other games, too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

From the looks of my game, the AI favours 5-3-2 and 4-4-2 at this level. I have seen a couple of 4-2-3-1s about...but the 'classic 4-3-3' as I call it ('4-1-2-3 DM Wide' is a stupid name, FM) seems strangely absent.

I’ve not actually played FM 2020 yet (I set parental controls on Steam and arranged for an email with the code to be sent to me the day after I submit my thesis :shifty:) but I didn’t see it too much in other games. I basically used it because it tends to be reasonably successful and I can’t really be bothered tinkering around with tactics. It basically means that I’ve never had any place for AMCs and as a result have missed out on some of the best players in the world or played them woefully out of position...

37 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

Does anyone else find that the game has a tendency to draw you to face a team in the FA Cup or Carabao Cup that you then have to face immediately again in the league within a few days, or really close together?

Pretty sure this has been a common FM trope for years. Not that I'm aware of any logic to it.

52 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

If you look at the 'top' formations people have been sharing for FM20 they are pretty much all a variation of the DM and 2 Wide players. At Cov I play that and another common formation of 5-1-3-1. I think it has a 'big' thing to do with the ai's inability to deal with balls over the top. I've found my Wingbacks and DM's have a tendency to hammer 50 yard cross-field missiles to the forwards who hit the team on the break...striker scoring is another issue though...

2 hours ago, stokeriño said:

I struggle to think of it as a 4-3-3 and see it as a 4-5-1, if anything. Obviously a flat midfield line is a more standard 4-5-1 formation but, to me, 4-3-3 implies three proper strikers.

3 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

Does anyone else find that the game has a tendency to draw you to face a team in the FA Cup or Carabao Cup that you then have to face immediately again in the league within a few days, or really close together? I'm in season 3 and in season 1 I played Watford two games in a row, Everton twice with a game in between. Season 2 I didn't have any but this season I had Man Utd two games in a row, Man City two games in a row, and Southampton two games in a row. Had it happen a lot in other games, too.

This actually does happen in real life fairly frequently. Perhaps another thing people think is an FM trope that is actually a real life trope and thus is either totally random or realistic of them to have in the game.

If Chelsea and Arsenal had been drawn against each other in the FA Cup third round this year, they'd have played three times in three weeks. It does happen sometimes. FM probably just brings attention to it because you get through a season, especially from game to game, more quickly than real life.

• Like 1

Didn't it happen a while ago when I think it was Chelsea and Liverpool, or maybe Chelsea and Arsenal played each other about four times in a month? I'm sure it happened not too long ago between Barcelona and Real Madrid too.

In fact, can't really find what I'm referring to RE: Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool, but here's the El Clasico one:

16th April 2011: Real Madrid 0 - 0 Barcelona (La Liga)
20th April 2011: Real Madrid 1 - 0 Barcelona (Copa del Rey Final)
27th April 2011: Real Madrid 0 - 2 Barcelona (Champions League Semi Final)
4th May 2011: Barcelona 1 - 1 Real Madrid (Champions League Semi Final)

Barcelona won 3-2 on aggregate despite Madrid getting home advantage three times. Nice.

Went about three months in-game with no injuries outside of a few two or three day stingers. In the last in-game month alone, eight of my starting eleven and a half dozen other bench and U21 guys I had to call up are out for anywhere between three weeks and three months. Apparently nobody wants to play in January.

16 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

Didn't it happen a while ago when I think it was Chelsea and Liverpool, or maybe Chelsea and Arsenal played each other about four times in a month? I'm sure it happened not too long ago between Barcelona and Real Madrid too.

In fact, can't really find what I'm referring to RE: Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool, but here's the El Clasico one:

16th April 2011: Real Madrid 0 - 0 Barcelona (La Liga)
20th April 2011: Real Madrid 1 - 0 Barcelona (Copa del Rey Final)
27th April 2011: Real Madrid 0 - 2 Barcelona (Champions League Semi Final)
4th May 2011: Barcelona 1 - 1 Real Madrid (Champions League Semi Final)

I always thought it was FM taking the piss but that's crazy to know how common it is.

5 minutes ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

Went about three months in-game with no injuries outside of a few two or three day stingers. In the last in-game month alone, eight of my starting eleven and a half dozen other bench and U21 guys I had to call up are out for anywhere between three weeks and three months. Apparently nobody wants to play in January.

They clearly took the phrase "winter break" literally.

6 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

I always thought it was FM taking the piss but that's crazy to know how common it is.

Well...the top two teams in Spain being in the latter stages of the cup competitions (and therefore meeting several times in April/May) doesn't strike me as anywhere near as unusual as all the FM occurrences of "in the 4th round you will play...Burnley. Your league match against Burnley has been postponed for three days to accommodate this."

1 minute ago, Arjen Robben said:

Burnley are everywhere and inescapable.

Fucking nightmare material, that is.

Let Ben Gibson serve as a cautionary tale as to what the mayhem that is Burnley can do. They took him a year and a half ago and he hasn't been seen since.

Here’s a tip: if it looks like it could be a coincidence it’s definitely a conspiracy.

thats kept me right in my life 

Edited by metalman