Football Manager 2020

Lineker

52 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

From the looks of my game, the AI favours 5-3-2 and 4-4-2 at this level. I have seen a couple of 4-2-3-1s about...but the 'classic 4-3-3' as I call it ('4-1-2-3 DM Wide' is a stupid name, FM) seems strangely absent.

If you look at the 'top' formations people have been sharing for FM20 they are pretty much all a variation of the DM and 2 Wide players. At Cov I play that and another common formation of 5-1-3-1. I think it has a 'big' thing to do with the ai's inability to deal with balls over the top. I've found my Wingbacks and DM's have a tendency to hammer 50 yard cross-field missiles to the forwards who hit the team on the break...striker scoring is another issue though...

2 hours ago, stokeriño said:

From the looks of my game, the AI favours 5-3-2 and 4-4-2 at this level. I have seen a couple of 4-2-3-1s about...but the 'classic 4-3-3' as I call it ('4-1-2-3 DM Wide' is a stupid name, FM) seems strangely absent.

I struggle to think of it as a 4-3-3 and see it as a 4-5-1, if anything. Obviously a flat midfield line is a more standard 4-5-1 formation but, to me, 4-3-3 implies three proper strikers.

3 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

Does anyone else find that the game has a tendency to draw you to face a team in the FA Cup or Carabao Cup that you then have to face immediately again in the league within a few days, or really close together? I'm in season 3 and in season 1 I played Watford two games in a row, Everton twice with a game in between. Season 2 I didn't have any but this season I had Man Utd two games in a row, Man City two games in a row, and Southampton two games in a row. Had it happen a lot in other games, too.

This actually does happen in real life fairly frequently. Perhaps another thing people think is an FM trope that is actually a real life trope and thus is either totally random or realistic of them to have in the game.

If Chelsea and Arsenal had been drawn against each other in the FA Cup third round this year, they'd have played three times in three weeks. It does happen sometimes. FM probably just brings attention to it because you get through a season, especially from game to game, more quickly than real life.

• Like 1

Didn't it happen a while ago when I think it was Chelsea and Liverpool, or maybe Chelsea and Arsenal played each other about four times in a month? I'm sure it happened not too long ago between Barcelona and Real Madrid too.

In fact, can't really find what I'm referring to RE: Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool, but here's the El Clasico one:

16th April 2011: Real Madrid 0 - 0 Barcelona (La Liga)
20th April 2011: Real Madrid 1 - 0 Barcelona (Copa del Rey Final)
27th April 2011: Real Madrid 0 - 2 Barcelona (Champions League Semi Final)
4th May 2011: Barcelona 1 - 1 Real Madrid (Champions League Semi Final)

Went about three months in-game with no injuries outside of a few two or three day stingers. In the last in-game month alone, eight of my starting eleven and a half dozen other bench and U21 guys I had to call up are out for anywhere between three weeks and three months. Apparently nobody wants to play in January.

16 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

Didn't it happen a while ago when I think it was Chelsea and Liverpool, or maybe Chelsea and Arsenal played each other about four times in a month? I'm sure it happened not too long ago between Barcelona and Real Madrid too.

In fact, can't really find what I'm referring to RE: Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool, but here's the El Clasico one:

16th April 2011: Real Madrid 0 - 0 Barcelona (La Liga)
20th April 2011: Real Madrid 1 - 0 Barcelona (Copa del Rey Final)
27th April 2011: Real Madrid 0 - 2 Barcelona (Champions League Semi Final)
4th May 2011: Barcelona 1 - 1 Real Madrid (Champions League Semi Final)

I always thought it was FM taking the piss but that's crazy to know how common it is.

5 minutes ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

Went about three months in-game with no injuries outside of a few two or three day stingers. In the last in-game month alone, eight of my starting eleven and a half dozen other bench and U21 guys I had to call up are out for anywhere between three weeks and three months. Apparently nobody wants to play in January.

They clearly took the phrase "winter break" literally.

6 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

I always thought it was FM taking the piss but that's crazy to know how common it is.

Well...the top two teams in Spain being in the latter stages of the cup competitions (and therefore meeting several times in April/May) doesn't strike me as anywhere near as unusual as all the FM occurrences of "in the 4th round you will play...Burnley. Your league match against Burnley has been postponed for three days to accommodate this."

fm10.png

Okay, three things:

1) You're in the division below me.

2) "Not having the desired experience of leading teams to promotion"? I won YOUR division LAST YEAR.

3) You have the audacity to come in here with THAT GOATEE and say this?

Get out.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Also, last night I knocked up some daft tactic based on that shit City were knocking about with last night.

Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 09.52.00.png

And, well...

Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 09.53.50.png

I mean, it is the Austrian league so... take that for what it's worth, but I wasn't really expecting success with it. 

Particularly considering the huge red spaces down the sides where there was no player coverage. Wonder what it'd be like for a team that aren't far and away the best in the league. Ripped to shreds endlessly I expect.

• Like 1

So for the 2021/2022 season I didn't add anyone else in January. Went on to win the league by 3 points (again) ahead of Man Utd this time. Won the FA Cup against Barnsley (who were my affiliate but got promoted) and got knocked out of the Champions League in the first knockout round against PSG. Joelinton wasn't as prolific as the last two seasons but still contributed with 18 goals in the Premier League with Carles Alena backing him up from the midfield with 11. Had a pretty good run with only a few injuries. Still having problems nailing down a good left winger as Sigurdsson has been a disappointment.

2022/2023 Transfers Out:
Jorge Mere to Bayer Leverkusen for £30M
Ricardo Esgaio to Sheffield United for £20M
+ various loans including Sigurdsson on loan to Fiorentina to hopefully find some form

2022/2023 Transfers In:
Jose Javier Murillo (DC newgen) from Real Zaragoza for £650K - previously arranged
Jose Manuel Rodriguez (AML newgen) from Alaves for £1M - previously arranged
Haviv Ohayon from Maccabi Tel-Aviv for free (Israeli GK prospect)
Breel Embolo from Borussia Monchengladbach for £16.5M
Ben Godfrey from Norwich for £31M
Karoly Sallai (AML newgen) from IF Elfsborg for £1.1M
Adil Aouchiche from PSG for free (MC prospect, immediately loaned out)
Vinicius Junior from Real Madrid - loan with option to buy for £60M

Troy Parrott ends up becoming home-grown at Newcastle but isn't re-loaned as I have Arezo and Embolo for striker depth now and my HG numbers are better with a few players qualifying. Godfrey is an upgrade from Mere, who was one of my first signings and had fallen behind Marco Varnier in the pecking order, and should end up better than Varnier. Hopefully Vinicius Junior does well for me and I keep him (I've left money in my budget for it) or Sigurdsson finds form while on loan. Had to give Onguene a new contract to ward off interest from Real Madrid and few others, too.

First competitive game was again the Community Shield, this time against Man Utd which I won 3-0 with Saint-Maximin scoring a hat-trick. So have 2x Community Shields, 1x FA Cup, 1x Carabao Cup, 2x Premier Leagues. Just lacking European glory...

My Estonian overlords are still tight so I don't have the money to compete in the Champions League. There's been talks of takeovers on and off for almost 18 months now. Still have no backup left wing-back as I haven't been able to find anyone for cheap enough. Terrier continues to train there and Matheson can fill in, too.

Lineup:
GK - Andre Onana / Freddie Woodman / Rob Elliot
DCR - Ben Godfrey / Marco Varnier
DC - Jerome Onguene / Jamaal Lascelles
DCL - Ferro / Axel Tuanzebe
WBR - Jayden Bogle / Luke Matheson
WBL - Ben Chilwell
MCR - Carles Alena / Sander Berge / Jude Bellingham
MCL - Sander Berge / Sean Longstaff / Matty Longstaff
AMR - Allan Saint-Maximin / Breel Embolo
AML - Vinicius Junior / Martin Terrier
STC - Joelinton / Breel Embolo / Matias Arezo

Pretty happy with my lineup. Won't make anymore major changes unless the club gets taken over and I get lots of money and can challenge for the Champions League as that's my main goal now. Rejected Juventus in the off-season as well.