Football Manager 2020

Lineker

3 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

It feels more fun to me than the last one I played...but that was FM17. :shifty:

fm17.png

"No, I don't think the risk of injury is strange. It's only [lists the vast majority of my squad] who are at high risk."

I may have to fire this guy.

It's your own fault for not seeing through Dr. Nick's false identity

I'm in 17th at the moment and my two wins are against clubs below me...and would have completed the set against Newcastle if they hadn't scored in the final minute :shifty:

Funnily enough, I thrashed Southampton away 5-1 with West Ham on my other save and then ran into the exact same run of form.

7 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

This might be the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen on FM. And here I was after reading the SI forums thinking that the ME engine was a bit broken this year.

ME was badly broken but the last update seems to have fixed it. I was impressed, too, until I clicked through and saw he had the editor enabled which explains how he has the players he has in just 2 seasons as QPR.

I mean whilst they've 'fixed' the 1 v 1 thing - which was always overblown and actually fairly close to realistic, if a little on the harsh side - they've now made the deep cross to a winger on the far post an insta-goal. 8 heading, 8 jumping, 7 bravery Ashley Young has 5 headed goals for me since the update.

4 minutes ago, Mad Jack Frost said:

I mean whilst they've 'fixed' the 1 v 1 thing - which was always overblown and actually fairly close to realistic, if a little on the harsh side - they've now made the deep cross to a winger on the far post an insta-goal. 8 heading, 8 jumping, 7 bravery Ashley Young has 5 headed goals for me since the update.

1 step forwards, 2 steps back. It really does boggle the mind that each year SI hype up the game with minor additions (although the dev. center this year was a big one for me) but they don't just go "Okay, we've got most of the game in a good place. Let's spend the year fixing the fucking match engine once and for all." What makes it further confusing is that it seems to be the same match engine issues every year. It's like they go back to the ME they started the previous game with instead of what they ended with after all the fixes.

23 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

1 step forwards, 2 steps back. It really does boggle the mind that each year SI hype up the game with minor additions (although the dev. center this year was a big one for me) but they don't just go "Okay, we've got most of the game in a good place. Let's spend the year fixing the fucking match engine once and for all." What makes it further confusing is that it seems to be the same match engine issues every year. It's like they go back to the ME they started the previous game with instead of what they ended with after all the fixes.

To be honest, there will always be a loud minority of people who have x issue with the ME and it is the most important thing ever and ruins the game and SI are awful etc etc etc no matter what SI do.

And then SI will 'fix' that and there'll be another issue.

On the basis that a ME can never be 100% realistic (or even if it somehow was, most would still believe it wasn't), it's really just a matter of finding the flaws that cause the least aggravation to the player. The fact that they've 'replaced' the 1-on-1 issue with the Super Cross To The Back Post is obviously not perfect, but I think it comes up less often in the game and is therefore better overall.

And I'm not just saying that because left wing-back Tristan Cover has scored at least three of those for me recently. :shifty: 

The general feeling I have gotten from reading various "complaints" about this seasons match engine is that it feels that there is even less control over how your team plays than is previous versions. 

I do think that when they overhauled the tactics engine in 18 (I think?), they didn't fully map it with the match engine. I had similar issues in FM19, for example, I'd tell the team to only hit low crosses yet the majority of crosses were definitely not low. They constantly went to the back post, and although I'd play "play through the middle", they would more often than not, play wide...

This is what happens when you're under financial pressure to release a new game every year. I would rather them focus on getting the mechanics as close to perfect as they can and release data updates on a yearly basis to be honest.

• Like 2

The thing with the match engine is like all engines in games, you fix one thing, but that then might create a problem further down the line with another thing due to how complex the code is.