Football Manager 2020

Lineker

Copped Sandro Tonali on a free in an excellent deal, now I just need to sign Kai Havertz and I think I'm set. Before the last season ended, I had 90m accepted but the board wouldn't give me the money, so when they set the budget I signed Haaland instead. Now Havertz has been transfer listed because he wants out, so I'll have him signed for 69m instead once I can sell a few players off to make some cash back.

I've also ended up in the Club World Championship thing, which I forgot existed, and I've made it to the final against Barcelona. Third pointless trophy hopefully in bound :P 

Managed to get all the badges and kits downloaded that I needed, looks good. Not sure I want to download a 10gb facepack like, I mean a lot of leagues already have faces it's just those top level leagues, so it's a shame that they don't seem to have these in smaller packs.

Not the end of the world by any means, just a shame the Match screen is set up to show the faces at the start (unless this is changeable?). I could live without them being part of the game entirely but hey ho.

EDIT: Although something I've done today (presumably in applying the real names fix) has wiped every single team's nickname and six-letter name. Which is a bit of a massive pain. Anyone have any idea how I've done that and/or how to fix it?

2 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

Beware signing Havertz, I've literally never managed to get anything out of him on this version. AMC just seems completely ineffective this year.

Mason Mount was one of my best players there in season one, and Ziyech was the standout of season two playing there for me as well before I left Chelsea. I have seen the comments about the AMC role but so far ice not had any complaints myself.

We beat Barcelona 3-0 in the final and have won the Club World Cup. I'm now the best Welsh manager of all time, apparently, which isn't bad for two years' work. Far more importantly, I've reminded the boys how to win, so hopefully this should be a piece of cake. We all know it won't be.

13 hours ago, Adam said:

Managed to get all the badges and kits downloaded that I needed, looks good. Not sure I want to download a 10gb facepack like, I mean a lot of leagues already have faces it's just those top level leagues, so it's a shame that they don't seem to have these in smaller packs.

Not the end of the world by any means, just a shame the Match screen is set up to show the faces at the start (unless this is changeable?). I could live without them being part of the game entirely but hey ho.

EDIT: Although something I've done today (presumably in applying the real names fix) has wiped every single team's nickname and six-letter name. Which is a bit of a massive pain. Anyone have any idea how I've done that and/or how to fix it?

Yeah the sheer size has put me off downloading faces. I don’t care that much. Whereas you see the fake badges so much and they look so bad. My game somehow has all the stadiums pictures and even pictures of cities. I’ve no idea how I picked them up.

I’d also guess - though can’t say with any certainty - that bunging 10GB worth of graphics onto the game is going to slow processing quite a bit.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, metalman said:

Yeah the sheer size has put me off downloading faces. I don’t care that much. Whereas you see the fake badges so much and they look so bad. My game somehow has all the stadiums pictures and even pictures of cities. I’ve no idea how I picked them up.

I’d also guess - though can’t say with any certainty - that bunging 10GB worth of graphics onto the game is going to slow processing quite a bit.

Yeah I don't think I'm going to bother with the faces, the badges were more important to me. I'm going to have to spend some time trying to undo wiping all the club nicknames off before I play properly anyway, if it's even possible.

I missed the discussion but Is there a logo pack that keeps the flags in the game or a quick way to delete the FA ones? Mine are in a big folder together and the little FA emblem next to each player annoys me ore than it should!

3 minutes ago, Gorka said:

It's your tactics, clearly.

They scored just before this to equalise and going from a comfortable 1-0 victory away in Budapest to a 2-1 defeat due to that kind of mistake actually had me speechless. Such a ridiculous goal to concede.

I feel like my Scotland team is 4 players from being great, but three of them don't exist and the over is Harvey Barnes, who is silly and thinks he's English.

First season with Spurs - finished 3rd, won the FA Cup and the Europa League. 

Was somehow nearly in a title race, as everyone collectively dropped points with about 8 games to go, but ultimately fell away when Chelsea won all 8. 

Was half-tempted to apply for the Barca job, because I assume Liverpool and City will be much better next year. Klopp was sacked after finishing 5th.

Have to buy some English players and also spent about 100 mil on a very exciting 21 y/o striker.

Started this season by beating Chelsea to win the community shield. More trophies!!!

Then lost to Chelsea in the opening game of the season after they scored a 91st min goal from a corner after we battered them all game. Fuck sake. 

It's November and I'm undefeated, but I'm cautious of saying "Germany is easy" because I watched DoctorBenjy devastatingly bottle it at least three times before he eventually got there. I keep drawing away from home though, which whilst fine for now, could develop into a problem if I don't start getting some wins.

I was concerned Chelsea were going to magically improve after I left since they went the rest of last season unbeaten and won the first four of this season, but they've followed that up by winning 1 of the next 8 (including five 1-1 draws) and now my old arch nemesis Liverpool are firmly in pole position. Even in this game I've got the classic conundrum of hating Liverpool for doing well but Jurgen Klopp being a top bloke kinda makes it a begrudging hatred.

19 minutes ago, Jericode said:

It's November and I'm undefeated, but I'm cautious of saying "Germany is easy" because I watched DoctorBenjy hilariously bottle it at least three times before he eventually got there.

FTFY.

You're not wrong.

I will say that Rummenigge is a complete arsehole and I really hope I don't have to spend more than a year in Germany. The Wales job randomly opened up with them already having qualified for the World Cup becasue Marcelo Lippi decided to retire, so I applied and the bastard threatened to sack me because he doesn't want me splitting my time, so I'm probably gonna have to turn it down.

They don't have any fucking games until the summer you ballbag.

Now I get this message two days later, mixed signals much??

F900878060166587FD33FD70E9BD1CACD6E28D79

Gonna be honest lads, this online game I play is starting to make me thing Spursing it is just hardcoded in to FM. Every season is just the same, struggling after Christmas and falling apart and finishing 4th.

cHnITOa.png

LOOK AT THIS FUCKING SQUAD.

Yet to win a single fucking thing. I'm furious, let me tell you. 

2 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

Gonna be honest lads, this online game I play is starting to make me thing Spursing it is just hardcoded in to FM. Every season is just the same, struggling after Christmas and falling apart and finishing 4th.

cHnITOa.png

LOOK AT THIS FUCKING SQUAD.

Yet to win a single fucking thing. I'm furious, let me tell you. 

I don't want to go full Miles 'It's your tactics, mate' Jacobsen on you, but honestly... it might be your tactics.

Generally when I start seasons extremely hot, the team starts to struggle heavily starting somewhere around december/january because whereas in the early part of the season teams might've came at you with attacking/positive gameplans, they adjusted and are instead coming at you at cautious or even fully dig themselves in against you in the hope to salvage points or catch you unawares.

If you're ingame, you can check the opposing team's mentality by enabling the formation widget which shows how they're playing (e.g. cautious 4-1-2-3DM Narrow).

If you're running a tactic that is heavily dependent on high pace and high intensity forward play, you might be getting nullified now that teams are expecting to have a tough out and are going with a deeper backline, meaning those passes to the wing or over the last man towards Harry Kane are getting intercepted more often, and if they aren't, the players are getting less space to run into because the defense are still in front of them rather than behind them. As such your players will take worse shots, crosses get blocked more often, and passes can't find their way behind the defense.

Seeing that most of your assists come from your wingers and full backs, Kane and Erling might simply be struggling because they're one (great) man versus a packed box of defensive minded players.

You might be able to turn things around by slowing pace down, retaining possession, and maybe even letting your wingers attack the box to provide extra threats to the defense overloading and meaning Kane/Haaland are marked by one less defender.

Depending on the role of the sole striker, they might also be out of position too often to provide that killer spark you need when you're facing off against defensive squads. Advanced/Complete Forwards/False Nines add a lot of dynamicism, but they might be simply out of position too often to score themselves. Then again, I don't know what role they're in, so they might already be a TM(A)/P(A)/PF(A) or any other goal focused player.

Games where you're expected to dominate you can also run without the DM, slotting him in at MC/AM or even ST to add more scoring threats. Perhaps dropping your back line or running offside traps a bit to prevent a club from yeeting it over and catching you out on the counter.

Basically when you're trying to beat a defensive teams, which around mid-season as a winning team will be pretty much 15 out of 19 clubs, you need to try and slow the pace down and just try to dominate possession and overload the opposing team. Prevent them from double teaming your striker out of the game, force them to mark everyone and thus allow your stars to beat people one on one.

I personally run with a wide 433 like yourself, but I often have three versions of them depending on the formation I face and what my expectations will be. When the other team runs with an AM, I slot in a DM to nullify their midfield dynamics. If they run a DM, I run with a flat midfield 3. If they don't have a DM, I run with an AM. And so forth. As a top team it's not a requirement for success, but matching your formation to take advantage of the other team's formation can give you great success down the line.

And sometimes facing #20 Brighton is just going to be your team trying to breakdown a brick shithouse for 90 minutes only for Brighton to kick one in late for the cheeky win or draw.

Edited by Jasonmufc