FIFA 20

Stevie B

I've hardly touched this FIFA or PES this year. Played it quite a bit initially but just haven't touched either of them. Think I've just lost interest of the same stuff and in particular with FIFA it just bring football: micro transactions 

Between the rona, the widespread delay/cancellation of football and the impending next gen systems, it feels like this one is going to be even more half hearted than normal. Even this reveal doesn't really say much, I think there might have been some footage included in a generic sports package during the EA thing last night and a brief FAQ online that focuses on the technical details of how the jump from current to next gen is going to work.

4 hours ago, Baddar said:

It's going to be even worse this year for that.

People are already complaining that one of the special editions has a catalogue item to scout a future star in Career Mode.

That's the final nail for me. They've officially taken it too far.

Milking the UT addicts isn't enough, they've started charging extra for basic offline features.

Playing devils advocate I really don't blame them as it makes them so much money

But from my own personal view and perspective it's basically gambling and they make so much money from it. They really need to crackdown on this sort of stuff. I mean people are more than justified to spend their money on what they want but when you've got a number of kids playing the game it hits that area or something I'm not comfortable with. Especially given that a lot of the time if you want anyone decent you need to get them by buying FIFA points to then open up a bunch of packs. 

5 minutes ago, TCO said:

That's the final nail for me. They've officially taken it too far.

Milking the UT addicts isn't enough, they've started charging extra for basic offline features.

That scout future star thing sounds like the same in game currency add on you can get once per season in 20 if you wish. It's not removing youth scouting or anything.

This year is the first time I've uninstalled a current FIFA before buying the new one, purely because I wasn't playing it and had no inclination to do so. As soon as you fall behind in FUT you're screwed for the year.

The last time I played it was on Christmas Day as I have a tradition of playing one online match on Christmas Day to try and make someone else's day better by losing to them, working on the theory that anyone playing FIFA online at Christmas probably isn't feeling great.

• Haha 1

Last year I did something a bit different and got PES 2020 instead of FIFA. I think it was better, but to be honest I didn't play it much either. Both games have got a good match experience but they could do a bit more to give you reasons to want to play the matches.

Gameplay is just fine in 20, though I admittedly only play single player and pro clubs.

The problems are that it took months for them to make career mode playable, but even more frustrating, is that tournament mode has never worked. There’s posts on the FIFA forums from release week where tournaments with over a certain number of human controlled teams would crash halfway through week two. Nine months later, that problem has never been fixed, rendering that whole game mode largely obsolete. They even added the South American Champions League, and still didn’t address the issue, so that mid season addition didn’t work properly either. I’ve bought 16 of the last 18 instalments, and this year was the most disappointed I’ve ever been.

• 1 month later...

Thought all the space on the left was meant to be the spine, like when there's fan made covers and they just do the whole thing flat so you can print it and replace the official art? It's largely unimportant in the grand scheme of things but yeah it's pretty bad.