Sign in to follow this  
GoGo Yubari

(Who Watches) The Watchmen Thread

3 minutes ago, tristy said:

Angela has had it rough, but, hey...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

As soon as Trieu said Dr. Manhatten was walking amongst them and queried why Angela didn't ask who it was, I knew it was her husband. Madness.

• Like 1

This fucking show, man. Done so well. 

Also, oh my god, that trial was incredible. 

• Like 1

Love the puntastic title of the episode.

Spoiler

I guess nobody got the origin of the clones right.

Awesome episode again.

As someone who really enjoys the Watchmen, but isn't a hardcore lore nutter, I really like they have expanded on a riveting world.

• Like 1

Seems like I'm the only one who feels like the show jumped the shark with that one? Watched it all with a friend over a couple of days in the last few weeks and, yeah, just did the typical HBO 'this is almost over let's make a comically bad plot choice'.

Hated it. Wasn't necessary, they were telling a great, relevant story, but I forgot that Watchmen is ultimately about

Jon Osterman's incredibly unhealthy relationships, admittedly he seems to have worked on it this time

Wack.

Not really. This wasn't any more out of left field than anything that happened in the comic.

I'm just happy that they're apparently done with the flashbacks and can focus on the present with the next two episodes. I need to know what happened to Wade! 

Nah, it was fucking hackneyed.

That finale was fantastic and I loved it.

My favorite part was when...

The racists died.

:D

But also pretty much everything. I hope they do a second season, but I'm not sure what they would do.

That was incredible. I'm so glad I started watching it, what an outstanding season of television.

Some stray thoughts about the future after the finale:

Spoiler

Also, I know Lindelof said that he probably won't do another season, and if he did, it might not involved these characters, but man, I really want to see more of Matt Reeves and Angela Abar. They're the most compelling characters on the show and are so easy to feel for, plus they're played by exceptional actors (both past and present day). I also kinda' want to see the trial of Adrian Veidt, to be fair. 

Also, Lindelof answers a question that EW asked him that wasn't explicit stated in the finale, so DON'T click if you haven't seen the finale:

Spoiler

I might have missed this: But was it ever explained what was crashed into the field that Lady Trieu purchased?
I’ll answer that because it was not meant to be ambiguous. It was [Lady Trieu’s ship containing Adrian Veidt returning to Earth]. It was knocked off course. It hit a meteor or something. So it was landing in a different spot than it was supposed to.

Also, the last entry in Peteypedia has some answers in it as well that wasn't answered in the finale, DON'T click this if you haven't seen the finale as well:

Spoiler

Similarly, a maintenance crew will be boxing up the contents of Petey’s office later this afternoon. Anyone interested in taking anything from the stacks of media, ephemera, and straight-up junk cluttering his workspace — multiple copies of Rorschach’s Journal, hundreds of “comic” books (why our society is still so obsessed with pirates is beyond me) and a jug of what appears to be some kind of canola oil, help yourselves. Let the record reflect that I have personally removed a new album by The Nine Inch Nails entitled The Manhattan Project, as my son listens to that garbage, it is rotting his brain, and it brought me great personal delight to smash this “music” into pieces.

• Like 1

Edit: Never mind. I figured it out. I completely forgot about that character. 

About the post-credit scene of the last episode:

Spoiler

Did Veidt really spent 3 years digging himself out of his jail cell with a damned horseshoe? Couldn't they have given him something more useful like a small spade or something like that? 

Edited by Hellraiser

15 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Also, Lindelof answers a question that EW asked him that wasn't explicit stated in the finale, so DON'T click if you haven't seen the finale:

Hide contents

I might have missed this: But was it ever explained what was crashed into the field that Lady Trieu purchased?
I’ll answer that because it was not meant to be ambiguous. It was [Lady Trieu’s ship containing Adrian Veidt returning to Earth]. It was knocked off course. It hit a meteor or something. So it was landing in a different spot than it was supposed to.

Also, the last entry in Peteypedia has some answers in it as well that wasn't answered in the finale, DON'T click this if you haven't seen the finale as well:

Hide contents

Similarly, a maintenance crew will be boxing up the contents of Petey’s office later this afternoon. Anyone interested in taking anything from the stacks of media, ephemera, and straight-up junk cluttering his workspace — multiple copies of Rorschach’s Journal, hundreds of “comic” books (why our society is still so obsessed with pirates is beyond me) and a jug of what appears to be some kind of canola oil, help yourselves. Let the record reflect that I have personally removed a new album by The Nine Inch Nails entitled The Manhattan Project, as my son listens to that garbage, it is rotting his brain, and it brought me great personal delight to smash this “music” into pieces.

Canola oil? What's that in reference to?

Hm, been processing the last few episodes.

Ultimately peaked with 4, 5 & 6 for me. 

I loved the slow build, the world-building, the pacing.

I found myself less invested with the emergence and prominence of Dr. Manhattan. Ultimately, if anything, I felt that detracted from the characters and narrative that I found myself investing in, especially because I was specifically enjoying the experience of having Dr. Manhattan on the peripherals on the story. When it started to lean too hard into Watchmen folklore, I found myself a little more disconnected, and a little less willing to go with its story. That might be on me, though. 

Still, a good piece of television. Not fully satisfied by the direction the last few episodes took, but ultimately happy to have gone on the journey. 

• Like 1

I didn't really like the way:

Spoiler

Dr. Manhattan died. It's either, he chose to die, or he doesn't have free will. He knew everything that was going to happen and just let it all happen.

That was the greatest season of a TV show I have witnessed.

That ending was perfection. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RPS said:

That was the greatest season of a TV show I have witnessed.

That ending was perfection. 

Finale spoilers.

Spoiler

Yeah, but do you think she walked on water?

16 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Finale spoilers.

Hide contents

Yeah, but do you think she walked on water?

I find it funny, because I feel like whether she walks on water is the least interesting aspect of the egg. 

Why did she eat the egg? The whole season is about the pitfalls of power and burden it carries. The line of "he could have done more" was the theme of the season and the reason why people do not do more. And not just about Doctor Manhattan, but all the characters. 

Did Angela feel as though she was prepared to take on the burden to do more? Did she eat the egg so no one else and, even if she was not able to meet the burden, she trusted herself to do it more than anyone else? Did she eat the egg to bring a part of Cal with her? Did she do it because she thought Cal could come back? Did she simply want the power? Was she testing Cal's infinite knowledge and how distrustful she was of it the entire show? 

I am way more interested in why she ate the egg than anything else. Angela was an enigma by the end of the show. Her internal discourse was a mystery to me. 

• Like 2