Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ruki

The Outer Worlds

Recommended Posts

So! This game from the creators of New Vegas just came out! How's everyone liking it so far? I've only played 3-4 hours and I love it. The writing is similar to New Vegas, my favorite part so far is when you get a book for the Vicar...

And then he goes into a tirade about it being in French, which he cannot read!

But the first town is super cool, seeing how it's owned by a corporation and how it affects everyones day to day is awesome. 

 

And because of course, I'm building a sneaky, charming character who can talk my way out of problems.

My only real criticism thus far is that two weapons I found (shotgun and grenade launcher) lack that visual/audio 'oomph'. It's just kinda there. And the shotgun is weak as shit (and that's after I fixed it!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait to get cracking with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I think we are in for some cool easter eggs because one time when I got on my ship...

Spoiler

There was a bunch of cows in my cargo bay like in Firefly.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deffo going to be downloading this on Game Pass, all the reviews still to be trending towards it being good. Probably will have a look at it next week, need to finish off my playthrough of Bloodstained first.

I know you guys are obviously still early on but does it seem linear in terms of the storyline stuff? Just, with Fallout 4 having all the multiple factions I never really focused on finishing it with one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it single player or can you have borderlands type groups of multi players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

Deffo going to be downloading this on Game Pass, all the reviews still to be trending towards it being good. Probably will have a look at it next week, need to finish off my playthrough of Bloodstained first.

I know you guys are obviously still early on but does it seem linear in terms of the storyline stuff? Just, with Fallout 4 having all the multiple factions I never really focused on finishing it with one.

So far it's early, but I'm still on the first planet where I've seen the first town and the deserters encampment. So far it's linear, but the main quest I'm on now does seem like I'll have a choice to make that will change the way things are on the planet. 

7 minutes ago, Kaney said:

Is it single player or can you have borderlands type groups of multi players?

Single player only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kaney said:

Is it single player or can you have borderlands type groups of multi players?

Single player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was playing on my computer and it didn't bother me. Might change my tone if I play on my Xbox. Speaking of... does anyone know if this is set up as 'Play Anywhere'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

The font size for the menus, dialogue and descriptions is way too small. 

 

I was thinking the same thing. Can it be changed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I was playing on my computer and it didn't bother me. Might change my tone if I play on my Xbox. Speaking of... does anyone know if this is set up as 'Play Anywhere'?

Apparently it isn't. I find that surprising, but there you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe this is like Dead Rising all over again and you need to upgrade to a 4K TV to read it properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is so refreshing to have a Fallout-like game in which you can actually role-play and your attribute choices actually matter outside of combat.

And I'm thinking about hooking my PS4 up with my PC monitor and play that way to make the text easier to read.

Edited by Hellraiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The developers have already said they will address the issue with text size.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fucking adore this game. I set my region to New Zealand last night just to get a chance to start it right after work and I played for six or so hours. There is so much personality it isn't even funny.

Also it took like 2 seconds to make a character who doesn't look like they've lived through a fire or two.

My biggest gripe is that the talk button also whips out your gun. Feels like it's a mistake waiting to happen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, apsham said:

I fucking adore this game. I set my region to New Zealand last night just to get a chance to start it right after work and I played for six or so hours. There is so much personality it isn't even funny.

Also it took like 2 seconds to make a character who doesn't look like they've lived through a fire or two.

My biggest gripe is that the talk button also whips out your gun. Feels like it's a mistake waiting to happen.

I may have accidentally beat an innocent deserter to death with a cattle prod. Nobody got mad though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given I wanted Fallout 76, but it is hot garbage, and I want to play a Fallout esque game, I assume this is my next best bet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100% - it gave me a feeling like I had when I played Fallout 3 or New Vegas for the first time... and I thought that games like that were honestly done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently you can kill all but 1 character in the game (I haven't looked at who) and the universe will adapt around you, as well, so that's cool.

It really feels like what you do makes a difference. For example I did a quest that had two possible outcomes and it ended badly for one group, however, I then got the chance to fix that situation and make everyone happier.

The combat style feels like a mix between Fallout and Borderlands (though not as frantic as Borderlands), and my only real gripe so far is that weapons seem to be a bit under-powered. I've put points into my gun skills and even getting some good guns they don't seem to be keeping up with the level of enemies and it's been lucky I've had my companions to help out. I think I maybe need to mod them more or buy better mods. But besides that minor gripe this is a really great game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, apsham said:

My biggest gripe is that the talk button also whips out your gun. Feels like it's a mistake waiting to happen.

Yes...that’s why I killed the first person I spoke to after he gave me his gun.  What a convenient excuse :shifty: 

I like that you can just blow off the first mission entirely and go exploring.  I’m doing a high charisma build and it’s been a lot of fun persuading and lying to people

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Yes...that’s why I killed the first person I spoke to after he gave me his gun.  What a convenient excuse :shifty: 

I like that you can just blow off the first mission entirely and go exploring.  I’m doing a high charisma build and it’s been a lot of fun persuading and lying to people

Same!

 

I'm also really liking sneaking around and getting headshots with the sniper rifle that you find. I'm also really looking forward to doing a dumb, brute force playthrough. Like, the first main mission... I just wanna see how things change if you kill the head NPCs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. To learn more, see our Privacy Policy