The Outer Worlds

Ruki

Apparently you can kill all but 1 character in the game (I haven't looked at who) and the universe will adapt around you, as well, so that's cool.

It really feels like what you do makes a difference. For example I did a quest that had two possible outcomes and it ended badly for one group, however, I then got the chance to fix that situation and make everyone happier.

The combat style feels like a mix between Fallout and Borderlands (though not as frantic as Borderlands), and my only real gripe so far is that weapons seem to be a bit under-powered. I've put points into my gun skills and even getting some good guns they don't seem to be keeping up with the level of enemies and it's been lucky I've had my companions to help out. I think I maybe need to mod them more or buy better mods. But besides that minor gripe this is a really great game.

19 hours ago, apsham said:

My biggest gripe is that the talk button also whips out your gun. Feels like it's a mistake waiting to happen.

Yes...that’s why I killed the first person I spoke to after he gave me his gun.  What a convenient excuse :shifty: 

I like that you can just blow off the first mission entirely and go exploring.  I’m doing a high charisma build and it’s been a lot of fun persuading and lying to people

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Yes...that’s why I killed the first person I spoke to after he gave me his gun.  What a convenient excuse :shifty: 

I like that you can just blow off the first mission entirely and go exploring.  I’m doing a high charisma build and it’s been a lot of fun persuading and lying to people

Same!

I'm also really liking sneaking around and getting headshots with the sniper rifle that you find. I'm also really looking forward to doing a dumb, brute force playthrough. Like, the first main mission... I just wanna see how things change if you kill the head NPCs. 

I've been playing this a bit more and I can definitely say I prefer it to Bethesda's Fallout games. It has so much more colour and character to it, plus it's nowhere near as buggy as New Vegas, Obsidian's last game of this ilk.

Coming into the game, I thought that the choices would be a simple matter of "evil corporate tyrants vs. noble freedom fighters", but I'm glad to see that there's more nuance. I've had to weigh up my decisions quite carefully so far, and I've been second-guessing myself a couple of times already. 

6 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I've been playing this a bit more and I can definitely say I prefer it to Bethesda's Fallout games. It has so much more colour and character to it, plus it's nowhere near as buggy as New Vegas, Obsidian's last game of this ilk.

Coming into the game, I thought that the choices would be a simple matter of "evil corporate tyrants vs. noble freedom fighters", but I'm glad to see that there's more nuance. I've had to weigh up my decisions quite carefully so far, and I've been second-guessing myself a couple of times already. 

This!

There's been a bunch of times already when I've gone "hmm who am I gonna side with" and had to actually rationally think about what effect my choice will make and if will there be an option to make both sides happy or not.

My build has points put mainly into dialogue, hacking/lockpicking and long range guns. I'm playing him as a sort of chaotic good character. Good at the heart of it but I've killed people that I decided needed killing.

24 minutes ago, RPS said:

I'm not sure if the game is a open as I am led to believe or the experience is immersive and I think it is.

They've openly stated that it's not quite as open as previous games that people are comparing it to - certain planets are gated behind story beats and the areas themselves are smaller. But they're packed with a ton of content personality so that offsets it. I finished the first area almost completely in my first evening with the game - there weren't a ton of quests, but at the same time all of them were enjoyable and there were other stories that weren't guided at all. For instance...

Spoiler

There were two bodies decaying behind a building in town with a letter from (at least one of) their fathers stating that their mother had died, and he couldn't afford to pay the company graveyard fees - so he had taken her down by the water and buried her there. Later when walking around by the landing pad, I found a pack of the canine creatures near a skeleton and a grave with a shovel in it. That was totally organic and I wouldn't have found the second part of the story had I not gone out of my way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, apsham said:

They've openly stated that it's not quite as open as previous games that people are comparing it to - certain planets are gated behind story beats and the areas themselves are smaller. But they're packed with a ton of content personality so that offsets it. I finished the first area almost completely in my first evening with the game - there weren't a ton of quests, but at the same time all of them were enjoyable and there were other stories that weren't guided at all. For instance...

Reveal hidden contents

I meant open in the game mechanisms. I'm not sure anything I do matters. 

33 minutes ago, Barbaro CaverLUKIEo said:

What's this text issue?

Was aiming to pick the game up on Friday but might hold off if it needs a big patch?

Do you have a 4K television or play on a monitor/closer to your screen? You should be fine. Font is a bit small for some people (fine on my end) but it's getting priority patched.