Tell me about the Nintendo Switch

VerbalPuke

1 hour ago, RPS said:

Pokemon Let's Go (Pikachu or Eevee, plus the incoming Pokemon Sword/Shield games), Smash Bros, Splatoon 2, Minecraft, Fortnite, Overwatch, Rocket League, Mario Maker 2, Mario vs. Rabbids, Dragon Quest XI are the bigger studio releases that I like in addition to BOTW and SMO. In terms of indie games, Dead Cells, Binding of Isaac, Wargroove, Steamworld Quest, Cuphead, and Slay the Spire.

There is also a shit load of dirt cheap mobile ports and party games you can pick up cheap. My kids love a game called Party Golf. I paid 3$ for it. 

So the Switch as a different amount of variety as it pertains to controller.

You can play every game (with like one or two exceptions) with split joycons (aka, a joycon in each hand). It also comes with an accessory to put your joycons together like a controller. Some games allow you to play with a single joycon (like Smash Bros or Mario Party). This is not the most ideal way to play games. Joycons are quite expensive. 

You can also buy wired or wireless controllers. I bought my kids two wired controllers that were third party. Paid 30$ CAD for them. They are shaped like a Gamecube controller. They work perfectly for my 7 and 5 year old. Got the girl Peach and the boy Pikachu. The wireless pro controller is much more expensive. The wired controllers plug into your Switch dock in a USB, but I believe there is only two USB plugs for the controllers. 

Online Switch (19$ a year) comes with Nintendo and Super Nintendo games and the ability to play online. 

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu is super cool and can be played two player. 

The joycons are super tiny. They are very kid friendly, awful for adults. 

My PS4 playing time basically stopped the second I got my Switch. When you play the Switch handheld, you will say "why the fuck can every game not be on the Switch?" It is the perfect gaming system. 

Sweet.

I will eventually get them the Pokemon game but figured I had to have Mario and wanted a fun multiplayer.

I'm always hesitant on the third party controllers but the Nintendo ones seem to have good reviews. I ended up getting the Power thingy anyway just because I've been burned going through different third party controllers (would have been cheaper not getting the cheaper one over and over).

Any of you play with Super Mario Maker? That looks like it could be time consuming,  but also a ton of fun.

15 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

I'm always hesitant on the third party controllers but the Nintendo ones seem to have good reviews. I ended up getting the Power thingy anyway just because I've been burned going through different third party controllers (would have been cheaper not getting the cheaper one over and over).

Any of you play with Super Mario Maker? That looks like it could be time consuming,  but also a ton of fun.

These are Hori controllers licensed by Nintendo. I got a Princess Peach one for my daughter and a Pikachu one for my son. 

Super Mario Maker is great. My kids love it. It is frustrating as an adult to play with 2 kids, but they have a blast. I like to make puzzle and maze levels with no bad guys for my kids to play. 

• Like 1

I have gotten more way more play time out of my Switch in the year and a half I’ve had it than numerous years with my X-Box One. Mostly because there are so many games I can play with my wife and three year old son. Not sure how old your kids are but my son’s top games are:

1. Yoshi’s Crafted World 

2. Super Smash Bros

3. Splatoon

4. Super Mario Party

5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I own a majority of the first party Nintendo Games and have enjoyed most of them. I think the only exception is Super Mario Maker. That’s the only one I’ve had buyer’s remorse on.

2 minutes ago, iDOL said:

I have gotten more way more play time out of my Switch in the year and a half I’ve had it than numerous years with my X-Box One. Mostly because there are so many games I can play with my wife and three year old son. Not sure how old your kids are but my son’s top games are:

1. Yoshi’s Crafted World 

2. Super Smash Bros

3. Splatoon

4. Super Mario Party

5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I own a majority of the first party Nintendo Games and have enjoyed most of them. I think the only exception is Super Mario Maker. That’s the only one I’ve had buyer’s remorse on.

The story mode to Mario Maker was pretty cool, but the downloading of levels is not as easy as it should be, and most levels that get uploaded are just frustrating as all hell.

8 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

The story mode to Mario Maker was pretty cool, but the downloading of levels is not as easy as it should be, and most levels that get uploaded are just frustrating as all hell.

I was expecting the maker community to want to be focused on making levels in the spirit of the actual Mario games. It’s completely the opposite. Instead you get a bunch of crap levels that involve head scratchingly hard precise jumps, an over reliance on switches and enemies falling on your head as you come out of warp tubes.

Also, I have the red and purple versions of this Nyko Core Wireless Controller. They’re a good, cheap alternative to the expensive pro controller and my son prefers using them over the joycons.

Nyko Wireless Core Controller - Bluetooth Pro Controller Alternative with Turbo and Android/PC Compatibility for Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNRFLPP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_C6kVDbVHRDJQG

35 minutes ago, iDOL said:

1. Yoshi’s Crafted World 

2. Super Smash Bros

3. Splatoon

4. Super Mario Party

5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

8, 7, and 3.

I think they'll be happy with what I've started with. 

Splatoon looks pretty fun, so that might be on the list for later. 

Yoshi's Crafted World seems intriguing, is that sort of a make your own levels kind of game?

Luigi's Mansion 3 came out yesterday and my god is it a reason to own a Switch as well.

20 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Yoshi's Crafted World seems intriguing, is that sort of a make your own levels kind of game?

Nope, it's a standard Yoshi platformer but everything is made out of craft material and it's REALLY great to play with two players. Lots to do and costumes are not only adorable but they give protection. And when one player is having problems, the other can carry them around in their mouth to get around rough obstacles.

3 hours ago, apsham said:

Luigi's Mansion 3 came out yesterday and my god is it a reason to own a Switch as well.

Nope, it's a standard Yoshi platformer but everything is made out of craft material and it's REALLY great to play with two players. Lots to do and costumes are not only adorable but they give protection. And when one player is having problems, the other can carry them around in their mouth to get around rough obstacles.

Also known as the “DAD! SPIT ME OUT!”

I figure this is the best place to ask. Can you play most of the classic SNES games on this? I want to know whether to buy an old SNES or just go for a Switch to play all the classics. We had one but it was technically my son's Christmas present and he wanted to sell it so it's gone now :( 

1 minute ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I figure this is the best place to ask. Can you play most of the classic SNES games on this? I want to know whether to buy an old SNES or just go for a Switch to play all the classics. We had one but it was technically my son's Christmas present and he wanted to sell it so it's gone now :( 

There is about twenty SNES games on the Switch right now. There is probably 50-70 NES games. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Switch_Online#NES_games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I don't see the ones I want yet. I don't know what to do though because if I got an SNES I would have to be wired and I needs my freedom when I play. I'm one of those people who jerks around as they play and I could totally see myself pulling the console off the shelf

If you don't mind getting hacky...

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I don't see the ones I want yet. I don't know what to do though because if I got an SNES I would have to be wired and I needs my freedom when I play. I'm one of those people who jerks around as they play and I could totally see myself pulling the console off the shelf

I mean, if there is no possible way of obtaining the games on a service that Nintendo is offering, could you not justify privacy? 

You can get 8bitdo wireless controllers and adaptors so they work on an actual SNES. Might get pricey though if you want multiple as I think you have to get the adaptors separately. There's possibly other similar items, that's just the one I'm familiar with.

Alternatively, SNES Mini Classic + 8bitdo controller(s) for your wireless needs. You'd need to mod it if you wanted more then just the base games and there's the odd compatibility issue with certain games. Not got an adaptor for the real SNES but the 8bitdo is great for the mini.

7 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Just use an emulator and get some ROMs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...