Sign in to follow this  
VerbalPuke

Tell me about the Nintendo Switch

I have gotten more way more play time out of my Switch in the year and a half I’ve had it than numerous years with my X-Box One. Mostly because there are so many games I can play with my wife and three year old son. Not sure how old your kids are but my son’s top games are:

1. Yoshi’s Crafted World 

2. Super Smash Bros

3. Splatoon

4. Super Mario Party

5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I own a majority of the first party Nintendo Games and have enjoyed most of them. I think the only exception is Super Mario Maker. That’s the only one I’ve had buyer’s remorse on.

2 minutes ago, iDOL said:

I have gotten more way more play time out of my Switch in the year and a half I’ve had it than numerous years with my X-Box One. Mostly because there are so many games I can play with my wife and three year old son. Not sure how old your kids are but my son’s top games are:

1. Yoshi’s Crafted World 

2. Super Smash Bros

3. Splatoon

4. Super Mario Party

5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I own a majority of the first party Nintendo Games and have enjoyed most of them. I think the only exception is Super Mario Maker. That’s the only one I’ve had buyer’s remorse on.

The story mode to Mario Maker was pretty cool, but the downloading of levels is not as easy as it should be, and most levels that get uploaded are just frustrating as all hell.

8 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

The story mode to Mario Maker was pretty cool, but the downloading of levels is not as easy as it should be, and most levels that get uploaded are just frustrating as all hell.

I was expecting the maker community to want to be focused on making levels in the spirit of the actual Mario games. It’s completely the opposite. Instead you get a bunch of crap levels that involve head scratchingly hard precise jumps, an over reliance on switches and enemies falling on your head as you come out of warp tubes.

Also, I have the red and purple versions of this Nyko Core Wireless Controller. They’re a good, cheap alternative to the expensive pro controller and my son prefers using them over the joycons.

Nyko Wireless Core Controller - Bluetooth Pro Controller Alternative with Turbo and Android/PC Compatibility for Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNRFLPP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_C6kVDbVHRDJQG

35 minutes ago, iDOL said:

1. Yoshi’s Crafted World 

2. Super Smash Bros

3. Splatoon

4. Super Mario Party

5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

8, 7, and 3.

I think they'll be happy with what I've started with. 

Splatoon looks pretty fun, so that might be on the list for later. 

Yoshi's Crafted World seems intriguing, is that sort of a make your own levels kind of game?

Luigi's Mansion 3 came out yesterday and my god is it a reason to own a Switch as well.

20 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Yoshi's Crafted World seems intriguing, is that sort of a make your own levels kind of game?

Nope, it's a standard Yoshi platformer but everything is made out of craft material and it's REALLY great to play with two players. Lots to do and costumes are not only adorable but they give protection. And when one player is having problems, the other can carry them around in their mouth to get around rough obstacles.

3 hours ago, apsham said:

Luigi's Mansion 3 came out yesterday and my god is it a reason to own a Switch as well.

Nope, it's a standard Yoshi platformer but everything is made out of craft material and it's REALLY great to play with two players. Lots to do and costumes are not only adorable but they give protection. And when one player is having problems, the other can carry them around in their mouth to get around rough obstacles.

Also known as the “DAD! SPIT ME OUT!”

I figure this is the best place to ask. Can you play most of the classic SNES games on this? I want to know whether to buy an old SNES or just go for a Switch to play all the classics. We had one but it was technically my son's Christmas present and he wanted to sell it so it's gone now :( 

1 minute ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I figure this is the best place to ask. Can you play most of the classic SNES games on this? I want to know whether to buy an old SNES or just go for a Switch to play all the classics. We had one but it was technically my son's Christmas present and he wanted to sell it so it's gone now :( 

There is about twenty SNES games on the Switch right now. There is probably 50-70 NES games. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Switch_Online#NES_games

• Like 1

I don't see the ones I want yet. I don't know what to do though because if I got an SNES I would have to be wired and I needs my freedom when I play. I'm one of those people who jerks around as they play and I could totally see myself pulling the console off the shelf

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I don't see the ones I want yet. I don't know what to do though because if I got an SNES I would have to be wired and I needs my freedom when I play. I'm one of those people who jerks around as they play and I could totally see myself pulling the console off the shelf

If you don't mind getting hacky...

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I mean, if there is no possible way of obtaining the games on a service that Nintendo is offering, could you not justify privacy? 

You can get 8bitdo wireless controllers and adaptors so they work on an actual SNES. Might get pricey though if you want multiple as I think you have to get the adaptors separately. There's possibly other similar items, that's just the one I'm familiar with.

Alternatively, SNES Mini Classic + 8bitdo controller(s) for your wireless needs. You'd need to mod it if you wanted more then just the base games and there's the odd compatibility issue with certain games. Not got an adaptor for the real SNES but the 8bitdo is great for the mini.

7 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Just use an emulator and get some ROMs.

Thread hijack: my nephew is six years old and he’s never played video games but is showing an interest in trying, so I figured I’d lend him my Switch given I never use it. What’s some good games for him? 

Some sort of simple party game might be a good entry point. 1-2 Switch or Mario Party, perhaps. Mario Kart ought to be a reasonable bet too, and the Lego games are very beginner-friendly.

4 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

Thread hijack: my nephew is six years old and he’s never played video games but is showing an interest in trying, so I figured I’d lend him my Switch given I never use it. What’s some good games for him? 

Dark Souls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't think of it earlier, but I think Scribblenauts could be a good idea. It has touch controls in handheld mode and is a really good game for stretching the imagination. I suppose it could also be educational in terms of expanding a child's vocabulary and spelling knowledge.

I've managed to buy a Switch plus Mario Kart 8 and Pokemon Sword for £278. What other games are must haves?

8 minutes ago, Lineker said:

I've managed to buy a Switch plus Mario Kart 8 and Pokemon Sword for £278. What other games are must haves?

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey... if you like classic RPGs like Final Fantas: Octopath Traveller. 

If you'er going to be playing with friends: Mario Kart, Mario Party and Super Smash Bros

On 27/11/2019 at 12:20, Moses Julep said:

Ok, real answer. I have a 7 and 5 year old. 

Mario Maker. Great because you can download the levels (or alternatively make the levels) that suits their skill level. May not be as great if you are not involved in his life on a day-to-day basis. 

Yoshi & Kirby: Easy games. Kids love. 

Mario Kart: They love motion controls. Great pick. 

Any Party Game: Overcooked, Mario Party, etc. All of theses games are premised on the same conceit - controls are imprecise, rounds are short and sweet and you have to play with others. 

All Of the Discount Trash Games on the Nintendo Store: True story. My son is 5. There is a game called Battle 2048 or something to that effect. It is 2048. He fucking loves this game because you get to play pranks on the other players (hide their screen, flip their board, etc). He literally dies playing this game. He screams when he gets to prank other people. He does not understand math. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey... if you like classic RPGs like Final Fantas: Octopath Traveller. 

If you'er going to be playing with friends: Mario Kart, Mario Party and Super Smash Bros

See of those the Mario games are the ones that appeal to me. Zelda and FF have never done anything for me. Thanks though!

10 minutes ago, Lineker said:

See of those the Mario games are the ones that appeal to me. Zelda and FF have never done anything for me. Thanks though!

30 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

Untitled

Goose

Game

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lineker said:

BOTW is radically different than older Zelda games. It is more akin to an open world game like Far Cry than older Zelda games. 

• Like 1