Tell me about the Nintendo Switch

VerbalPuke

4 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

Thread hijack: my nephew is six years old and he’s never played video games but is showing an interest in trying, so I figured I’d lend him my Switch given I never use it. What’s some good games for him? 

Dark Souls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lineker said:

I've managed to buy a Switch plus Mario Kart 8 and Pokemon Sword for £278. What other games are must haves?

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey... if you like classic RPGs like Final Fantas: Octopath Traveller. 

If you'er going to be playing with friends: Mario Kart, Mario Party and Super Smash Bros

On 27/11/2019 at 12:20, Moses Julep said:

Thread hijack: my nephew is six years old and he’s never played video games but is showing an interest in trying, so I figured I’d lend him my Switch given I never use it. What’s some good games for him? 

Ok, real answer. I have a 7 and 5 year old. 

Mario Maker. Great because you can download the levels (or alternatively make the levels) that suits their skill level. May not be as great if you are not involved in his life on a day-to-day basis. 

Yoshi & Kirby: Easy games. Kids love. 

Mario Kart: They love motion controls. Great pick. 

Any Party Game: Overcooked, Mario Party, etc. All of theses games are premised on the same conceit - controls are imprecise, rounds are short and sweet and you have to play with others. 

All Of the Discount Trash Games on the Nintendo Store: True story. My son is 5. There is a game called Battle 2048 or something to that effect. It is 2048. He fucking loves this game because you get to play pranks on the other players (hide their screen, flip their board, etc). He literally dies playing this game. He screams when he gets to prank other people. He does not understand math. 

• Like 1

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey... if you like classic RPGs like Final Fantas: Octopath Traveller. 

If you'er going to be playing with friends: Mario Kart, Mario Party and Super Smash Bros

See of those the Mario games are the ones that appeal to me. Zelda and FF have never done anything for me. Thanks though!

12 minutes ago, Lineker said:

See of those the Mario games are the ones that appeal to me. Zelda and FF have never done anything for me. Thanks though!

BOTW is radically different than older Zelda games. It is more akin to an open world game like Far Cry than older Zelda games. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So my kids have been loving Mario. 

Actually really quick...Ultimate Alliance 3 is too fucking hard and I hate it. It's just absurd how tough they've made the Marvel equivalent of Galsia and Donovan. Fuck the Dr. Octopus boss fight.

With that out of the way, Mario Odyssey is an absolute blast. I've been really out of the loop with Mario games but this is super fun. I've barely played but watched my boys play it and it's very cool.

I love that they decided "hey, why not let Mario become lava or electricity?". Why not indeed. 

So I watched a video of Mario Maker 2 and that just looks fucking crazy in the best of ways. I think we have that, Smash Brothers, and Zelda as our next ones to get. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

So my kids have been loving Mario. 

Actually really quick...Ultimate Alliance 3 is too fucking hard and I hate it. It's just absurd how tough they've made the Marvel equivalent of Galsia and Donovan. Fuck the Dr. Octopus boss fight.

With that out of the way, Mario Odyssey is an absolute blast. I've been really out of the loop with Mario games but this is super fun. I've barely played but watched my boys play it and it's very cool.

I love that they decided "hey, why not let Mario become lava or electricity?". Why not indeed. 

So I watched a video of Mario Maker 2 and that just looks fucking crazy in the best of ways. I think we have that, Smash Brothers, and Zelda as our next ones to get. 

I absolutely HATED Mario Maker. It’s the only game I’ve regretted purchasing

10 hours ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

My biggest (maybe only?) complaint about this system is that the prices for the games never ever seem to drop. I’m wanting to play a whole back catalog of stuff but everything still $60. 

Walmart, at least in my area always has the Nintendo 1st party games $10 cheaper than every other supplier

On 05/01/2020 at 19:47, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

My biggest (maybe only?) complaint about this system is that the prices for the games never ever seem to drop. I’m wanting to play a whole back catalog of stuff but everything still $60. 

Yeah, for sure. I was thinking I could grab a few because prices would have come down, but not so much.

I actually played Mario last night, took the switch off the console and sat on the couch. Game is super fun man.

Nintendo-published games have a history of holding their price over the course of a console cycle. As they don't tend to release more than a couple of entries in their biggest franchises on the same system, they can maintain interest for a long time after the games' initial releases.

What bothers me most about Switch game pricing is the third-party multiplatform titles. You'll see ports of games over a decade old costing as much as new releases on the eShop, which is ridiculous. Resident Evil 4 is on sale in Europe now for £19.79. None of its re-releases on the other consoles cost that much at full price, let alone with a discount. I'll admit that I paid the asking price because I think the game is great and wanted it on a handheld, but I felt like a bit of a mug,

On 07/01/2020 at 20:58, Bobfoc said:

Nintendo-published games have a history of holding their price over the course of a console cycle. As they don't tend to release more than a couple of entries in their biggest franchises on the same system, they can maintain interest for a long time after the games' initial releases.

What bothers me most about Switch game pricing is the third-party multiplatform titles. You'll see ports of games over a decade old costing as much as new releases on the eShop, which is ridiculous. Resident Evil 4 is on sale in Europe now for £19.79. None of its re-releases on the other consoles cost that much at full price, let alone with a discount. I'll admit that I paid the asking price because I think the game is great and wanted it on a handheld, but I felt like a bit of a mug,

It is a bummer,  but on the other hand, you can get reasonable prices on the used market. And I'm good with that because the games are these tiny card things so they really can't get scratched and shit. 

Also, Mario Odyssey is fucking awesome. It is the first Mario game since the first one NES that I have had in my household. I remember really liking Mario 64 a lot, that is the most recent one I had played and I barely played it. 

There was a fucking dragon breathing electricity. Here let me repeat that. There was a fucking dragon breathing electricity. 

Actually....is there a way to buy Mario 64 still? Is that a buy an old N64 and game cartridge or can it be downloaded (not emulator).