Sign in to follow this  
VerbalPuke

Tell me about the Nintendo Switch

On 11/28/2019 at 3:00 PM, Lineklaus said:

See of those the Mario games are the ones that appeal to me. Zelda and FF have never done anything for me. Thanks though!

Yoshi's Crafted World and Luigi's Mansion 3 have been a blast

• Like 2

So my kids have been loving Mario. 

Actually really quick...Ultimate Alliance 3 is too fucking hard and I hate it. It's just absurd how tough they've made the Marvel equivalent of Galsia and Donovan. Fuck the Dr. Octopus boss fight.

With that out of the way, Mario Odyssey is an absolute blast. I've been really out of the loop with Mario games but this is super fun. I've barely played but watched my boys play it and it's very cool.

I love that they decided "hey, why not let Mario become lava or electricity?". Why not indeed. 

So I watched a video of Mario Maker 2 and that just looks fucking crazy in the best of ways. I think we have that, Smash Brothers, and Zelda as our next ones to get. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

I think we have that, Smash Brothers,  Untitled Goose Game, and Zelda as our next ones to get. 

Do it. :(Y):

7 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

So my kids have been loving Mario. 

Actually really quick...Ultimate Alliance 3 is too fucking hard and I hate it. It's just absurd how tough they've made the Marvel equivalent of Galsia and Donovan. Fuck the Dr. Octopus boss fight.

With that out of the way, Mario Odyssey is an absolute blast. I've been really out of the loop with Mario games but this is super fun. I've barely played but watched my boys play it and it's very cool.

I love that they decided "hey, why not let Mario become lava or electricity?". Why not indeed. 

So I watched a video of Mario Maker 2 and that just looks fucking crazy in the best of ways. I think we have that, Smash Brothers, and Zelda as our next ones to get. 

I absolutely HATED Mario Maker. It’s the only game I’ve regretted purchasing

They just announced a Brigandine sequel and its for the switch so Im assuming i'll be scrounging to find the cash for that

10 hours ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

My biggest (maybe only?) complaint about this system is that the prices for the games never ever seem to drop. I’m wanting to play a whole back catalog of stuff but everything still $60. 

Walmart, at least in my area always has the Nintendo 1st party games $10 cheaper than every other supplier

On 05/01/2020 at 19:47, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

My biggest (maybe only?) complaint about this system is that the prices for the games never ever seem to drop. I’m wanting to play a whole back catalog of stuff but everything still $60. 

Yeah, for sure. I was thinking I could grab a few because prices would have come down, but not so much.

I actually played Mario last night, took the switch off the console and sat on the couch. Game is super fun man.

Nintendo-published games have a history of holding their price over the course of a console cycle. As they don't tend to release more than a couple of entries in their biggest franchises on the same system, they can maintain interest for a long time after the games' initial releases.

What bothers me most about Switch game pricing is the third-party multiplatform titles. You'll see ports of games over a decade old costing as much as new releases on the eShop, which is ridiculous. Resident Evil 4 is on sale in Europe now for £19.79. None of its re-releases on the other consoles cost that much at full price, let alone with a discount. I'll admit that I paid the asking price because I think the game is great and wanted it on a handheld, but I felt like a bit of a mug,

On 07/01/2020 at 20:58, Bobfoc said:

Nintendo-published games have a history of holding their price over the course of a console cycle. As they don't tend to release more than a couple of entries in their biggest franchises on the same system, they can maintain interest for a long time after the games' initial releases.

What bothers me most about Switch game pricing is the third-party multiplatform titles. You'll see ports of games over a decade old costing as much as new releases on the eShop, which is ridiculous. Resident Evil 4 is on sale in Europe now for £19.79. None of its re-releases on the other consoles cost that much at full price, let alone with a discount. I'll admit that I paid the asking price because I think the game is great and wanted it on a handheld, but I felt like a bit of a mug,

It is a bummer,  but on the other hand, you can get reasonable prices on the used market. And I'm good with that because the games are these tiny card things so they really can't get scratched and shit. 

Also, Mario Odyssey is fucking awesome. It is the first Mario game since the first one NES that I have had in my household. I remember really liking Mario 64 a lot, that is the most recent one I had played and I barely played it. 

There was a fucking dragon breathing electricity. Here let me repeat that. There was a fucking dragon breathing electricity. 

Actually....is there a way to buy Mario 64 still? Is that a buy an old N64 and game cartridge or can it be downloaded (not emulator).

Most places that sell used retro games will have copies of Mario 64. Some of them are outrageously priced, so be careful looking around if you do. I had Mario 64 on the Wii when the Wii Shop had Nintendo 64 games available to download, but they've since shut down the online portion of that.

You should be able to get a Nintendo 64 for $50-$100 depending on where you go though. I've seen good copies of Mario 64 sell for as little as $30, but as much as $200 in some shops.

If you have the means, there's a DS port that benefits slightly from being played on a 3DS due to the circle pad.

18 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

It is a bummer,  but on the other hand, you can get reasonable prices on the used market. And I'm good with that because the games are these tiny card things so they really can't get scratched and shit. 

That's true for physical games, but a lot of ports on Switch are digital only. The big saving grace for me has been that I've been able to get good deals on eShop credit, which effectively makes digital games cheaper. If you're living in a country where eShop vouchers are never sold at less than face value, however, your only option is to fork out ridiculous prices for games that are over a decade old.

10 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

That's true for physical games, but a lot of ports on Switch are digital only. The big saving grace for me has been that I've been able to get good deals on eShop credit, which effectively makes digital games cheaper. If you're living in a country where eShop vouchers are never sold at less than face value, however, your only option is to fork out ridiculous prices for games that are over a decade old.

Where do you get good deals on eShop credit?

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Where do you get good deals on eShop credit?

Shopto sometimes has £30 cards on sale for under £25, and I've come across some cheap ones on eBay once or twice. It's the sort of thing that you don't see often, so it's worth snapping up on the rare occasions they pop up.

• Like 1

My son got straight A's, so we rewarded him with Mario Maker 2. Really fun so far and have only done story mode. Really cool that my kid is getting an chance to play Mario as I remember it (with alterations of course). Actually I'm watching him play as Mario in a boot right now. 

I'm really looking forward to making my own levels.

What's the cheapest, decent version of the switch on the market ?

I suppose that would depend on your definition of "decent". The Switch Lite is the cheapest option, but it's solely a handheld device and doesn't have detachable controllers or television screen functionality.

On 01/02/2020 at 14:59, VerbalPuke said:

My son got straight A's, so we rewarded him with Mario Maker 2. Really fun so far and have only done story mode. Really cool that my kid is getting an chance to play Mario as I remember it (with alterations of course). Actually I'm watching him play as Mario in a boot right now. 

I'm really looking forward to making my own levels.

Puke, my kids love Mario Maker. How old is your son again? 

My kids suck at platforming at the moment, so I give them puzzle levels with lots of power-ups and few enemies. 

When I get home, I'll find out my Mario Maker ID and flip it to you. 

1 hour ago, RPS said:

Puke, my kids love Mario Maker. How old is your son again? 

My kids suck at platforming at the moment, so I give them puzzle levels with lots of power-ups and few enemies. 

When I get home, I'll find out my Mario Maker ID and flip it to you. 

8 and 7.

We didn't get too far into the creation aspect which I'm hoping I can play with more. 

I don't know if I have an ID, haven't seen that aspect yet?