Britbox launched, apparently? (UK)

K

Was just chatting about Britbox at work, and I went over to the website to have a look, and apparently it has launched already?

I don't know when that happened. I had a look around and apparently this is the 'Beta' version, so has limited functionality, but it works on my work computer and my Amazon Kindle Fire  tablet.

Britbox is a new commercial streaming service, a joint venture between ITV and the BBC, which curates content from the two  broadcasters, as well as Channel 5 and Comedy Central, with Channel 4 in talks to join in as well.

It costs £5.99 a month, and you can currently get a 30 day free trial.

According to this article: https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/britbox-uk-review/ they currently have 236 titles listed, but that might have gone up in the last few days, and doesn't include the classic films they have.

there's a mix of classic and modern stuff, from Only Fools, Ab Fab, Victoria Wood, Harry Enfield, to things like Spooks, Inside No 9, Asian Provocateur, Hustle, etc.

It's probably not worth a rolling subscription right now, but I've been wanting to watch Spooks for ages, so I might try and knock it out during the 30-free days.

It doesn't really feel worth it unless this is preempting them taking a load of the boxed sets off iplayer, between that and UK Gold most of this is covered. Unless they repeat This Morning with Richard Not Judy but that's not going to happen. :(

Most of the streaming services aren't worth it. I'm not liking the premipremium models at the moment, I think it's what sets Netflix apart from Amazon, Apple Plus etc, everything is included in the price, I don't have to wade through things that make me go "oooh I wanted to watch that" to find out I have to pay an additional £4.99 to rent it.

Also, Apple Plus is free for a year, but has about ten things on it on my Apple TV. F streaming services, Britbox has gotta be the worst one? So much of this stuff has either been available on free services or other paid for services for years now. I'd only buy in if Anna In Wonderland goes on there, I've been desperate to watch the episode about Vampires in Wellingborough forever.

4 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

Most of the streaming services aren't worth it. I'm not liking the premipremium models at the moment, I think it's what sets Netflix apart from Amazon, Apple Plus etc, everything is included in the price, I don't have to wade through things that make me go "oooh I wanted to watch that" to find out I have to pay an additional £4.99 to rent it.

Also, Apple Plus is free for a year, but has about ten things on it on my Apple TV. F streaming services, Britbox has gotta be the worst one? So much of this stuff has either been available on free services or other paid for services for years now. I'd only buy in if Anna In Wonderland goes on there, I've been desperate to watch the episode about Vampires in Wellingborough forever.

Prime's worth it purely for the next day delivery stuff.

Mubi is the best streaming service out there. £6 a month and you get 4 free cinema tickets as well. 

18 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Prime's worth it purely for the next day delivery stuff.

Mubi is the best streaming service out there. £6 a month and you get 4 free cinema tickets as well. 

I don't actually pay for Prime as my brother does and he gifted me an account, BUT, I didn't know it was automatically included, which yes, I guess if you're an Amazon shopper (and what monster isn't) it's probably worth it

Edited by Tigerstyle

32 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

If it had old content that was really hard to find on DVD, I'd be giving this a close look. Obviously, uploading the entire BBC archive, which is what some people want, would take a ridiculous amount of time, but I'm looking for obscure content most of all.

Christ, imagine being able to watch EastEnders from the start. My mum would be in heaven.

So how do we think this is ultimately going to affect iplayer, ITV player, All 4 etc?

I mean, if we're already paying a licence fee for BBC it feels pretty despicable if they start stripping iplayer and putting their shows behind a paywall meaning we have to pay twice to see them.

• Like 1