Britbox launched, apparently? (UK)

K

18 minutes ago, Colly said:

Is Roast Battle like Bakeoff but for Sunday dinner?

A hundred television executives just picked up the phone.

Roast Battle is the comedy joke battle thing. Like a rap battle but with offensive comedy. It's not amazing, but it's something I've wanted to watch. I think I pirated a few episodes a couple years ago.

To be honest I think I knew that, is Alex Brooker on one? I think content wise it'll be great, the only thing stopping me getting it is it's literally content that's already been on the free to air channels. I wouldn't be surprised if Comedy Central aren't still showing that anyway.

That's the galling thing with "Britbox" for me. Primarily, it's taking shows away from other platforms we have/had, aside from Nerflix they're free platforms, and putting them behind a subscription paywall. Broadchurch used to be on Netflix and was one of the leading titles that they reported ITV were taking away from the service in order to put it on BritBox, before they'd even decided they were calling it that.

Some people may be happy/financially able to subscribe to all these different streaming services but me and my girlfriend already share Netflix and Amazon (and we only have that for the delivery options, the streaming platform is a bonus) and I have NJPW World for wrestling. Apple TV, BritBox, Disney+ etc. are all just not worth the additional outlay.

It will be interesting once this is more established what BBC and ITV do to balance their platforms - they have to think about what they're offering between BritBox, the iPlayer/Hub and their actual channels, since the secondary channels are often full of old shows being rerun as well.

For instance, I happened upon a repeat of Fleabag after the News last week and enjoyed it so much I want to watch the entire series. Right now I can do that on the iPlayer so I probably will watch it and, if there was ever another series, that's a new viewer for BBC. But if it was behind a paywall? I doubt I'd bother. And if they just didn't air a repeat because it's behind that paywall then I'd never have even had the opportunity to stumble upon it. So it's a tricky one.

I don't think BBC is planning to change its iPlayer service, in fact they just successfully got the law (rules?) changed to be allowed to keep stuff up there for longer. Previously they could only keep stuff up there for weeks after it aired, now it's a year? I think. I think BritBox is more of an archive, whereas iPlayer is a catch-up service.

14 minutes ago, K said:

I don't think BBC is planning to change its iPlayer service, in fact they just successfully got the law (rules?) changed to be allowed to keep stuff up there for longer. Previously they could only keep stuff up there for weeks after it aired, now it's a year? I think. I think BritBox is more of an archive, whereas iPlayer is a catch-up service.

It used to be, but they have started to put "box sets" on recently, so full back catalogues of Fleabag, Luther, Louis Theroux etc are up there. It'll be interesting to see if that remains the case.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colly said:

It used to be, but they have started to put "box sets" on recently, so full back catalogues of Fleabag, Luther, Louis Theroux etc are up there. It'll be interesting to see if that remains the case.

Until recently they were only allowed to keep things for a few weeks though. I can't see them going to all the trouble to have that changed, just to mug it off for BritBox

• Admin
12 hours ago, K said:

I believe this is indeed the case now. Things will stay on iPlayer for a year (obviously not stuff like MOTD etc) before transferring onto BritBox.

Here is all the stuff I have watched, or tried to watch, on BritBox this last week, while I've been out-of-action with my messed up ankle:

Broadchurch (Amazing)
Happy Valley (Amazing)
Wild Bill (Really good)
Spooks (Not as good as I was hoping. Gave up after episode one)
Unforgotten (Not as good as I was hoping. Gave up after episode one. I'm not sure I really *get* it)
Harry Enfield and Chums (Doesn't hold up as well as I was hoping - watched a few episodes. Good in a 'Ah, I remember that' kind of way)
Goodness Gracious Me (Holds up pretty well from my youth - watched a few episodes)
Michael Palin on North Korea (Very good actually. Surprisingly good for a Channel 5 thing)
Mock the Week (Very good. Not my favourite panel show, but pretty good. Watched some at random)
Roast Battle (Good actually. A little too 'edgy', but I guess that's the point. Some of the humor feels a bit Trans-unfriendly at times...)
Life on Mars (Didn't like it. None of the characters were particularly likeable. Found it pretty dull tbh - watched a few episodes)
Hatton Garden (Didn't like it, no likeable characters, much prefered the films take on the subject matter)
Adventurers Guide to Britain (Just a background-noise travel show really. Fine)

Anyway, that's it so far. Some good content, but mostly it's just old people solving crimes and sheridan smith shows. Some of the above stuff has been on other streaming services before. Definitely worth trying the thirty-day free trial, but i'd wait until the new year when hopefully they've bulked up their catalogue a bit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

Oh man, I loved Life on Mars. Been wanting to rewatch it for a long time but hadn't got around to tracking it down.

So I should stick with it?

3 minutes ago, metalman said:

is dads army on it

Not yet. I imagine it will be there eventually though.

All the classic Dr. Who's go up on Boxing Day I think.

I randomly watched 10 minutes of Harry Enfield last week too. I always preferred the Fast Show anyway because I'm a cool kid, but it didn't hold up too well. My biggest takeaway was how skinny Kathy Burke was. 

I was going to complain about you not liking Spooks, then I remembered I was mixing it up with the sitcom Ghosts so don't care. Is the Spooks of Bottle Bay on there? That was good.