MLB 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Meacon Keaton

I wish the report gave more clarity into Beltran's role in it all. The fact that the report said "a group of players, including Carlos Beltran..." is so strange. Why single out Beltran unless he was some sort of ring leader. And if he was, why be so vague about it?

19 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I wish the report gave more clarity into Beltran's role in it all. The fact that the report said "a group of players, including Carlos Beltran..." is so strange. Why single out Beltran unless he was some sort of ring leader. And if he was, why be so vague about it?

I feel like Manfred named him to pressure the Mets into firing him, which they stupidly did. You don't see Manfred naming Brian McCann (another retired former Astro) because he isn't in a position of power. That and he can't punish the players like he would want because of the Union so he just simply named the one he could get rid of. 

• Like 1

It’s a bad look to keep him around. Hinch was involved, fired.  Cora was involved, fired.  Reportedly players were heavily involved, and while yes they got immunity, Beltran isn’t a player anymore.  He’s a manager and every other manager involved got canned.  It’s not great optics to be like oh this was player driven, but the managers have all been fired, but this guy who was a player during this player driven scheme is a-okay to keep managing.

Beltran’s niece is tweeting that players like Bregman and Altuve were wearing devices that could get buzzed by the hallway video guys.  So maaaybe giving players immunity wasn’t the best idea

• Like 2

This more than likely also kills any chance of Beltran making the HOF.  I don't even know if he'll hang around on the ballot for a decade like Bonds, etc.  Their thing is it's an ongoing struggle between the older voters who insist they cheated and the younger voters who feel they shouldn't be punished for something that wasn't against the rules when they were playing.  Something like this is clearly against the rules in any circumstance.  Might be bounced off the ballot after a year.

Pete Rose, of all people, wondered why the players aren't being punished when they're just as complicit as everyone else.

If they're not being punished for the sign stealing, at least strip Altuve (season) and Springer (World Series) of their MVPs.

11 hours ago, El Tiburon said:

This is one of the most Mets things that could happen... still a top ten Mets manager tho <_<

Never lost a game as a Mets manager, that is pretty stellar.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, SeanDMan said:

Never lost a game as a Mets manager, that is pretty stellar.

I can do a lot better. I've never lost a game as a manager of any MLB team! :P

Dusty Baker as Mets manager? Nah. I'd say make him the Astros' new manager,  but why punish him?

10 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Dusty Baker as Mets manager? Nah. I'd say make him the Astros' new manager,  but why punish him?

I mean, Houston is still likely going to be a very good team. I don’t think they just fall off the face of the earth now. They just won’t destroy every team that comes into Houston.

I still think it’s ridiculous that Beltran was the only 2017 player named in the report.  The league dropped his name in because he’s no longer in the union but still in baseball.  They may not have suspended him but they knew his employer would be forced to do something - Yankees would’ve been forced to fire him too.

It seems clear from photos that Altuve, Bregman, Reddick and others were all actively involved.  At bare minimum I’m certain everyone on their 2017 postseason roster knew.  Pitchers included, Mike Fiers blew the whistle after all, but he just waited until after he already got the ring to do it.

Everyone still active from that postseason roster should get a suspension with zero exception.

I don't understand how none of the players are getting in trouble. Its basically sending a message that cheating is ok. At best, you'll win a World Series, even if it is tainted. At worse, nothing happens and you continue on playing. MLB is a joke.

That’s also why while I’d recommend suspending everyone from that team, I can’t get behind vacating championships.  When you win a championship, that singular moment of winning it is what the fans will remember.  Taking it away on paper won’t ever take away the memories, so it’s kinda useless to strike it from the record.

27 minutes ago, Carlos Buschtran said:

That’s also why while I’d recommend suspending everyone from that team, I can’t get behind vacating championships.  When you win a championship, that singular moment of winning it is what the fans will remember.  Taking it away on paper won’t ever take away the memories, so it’s kinda useless to strike it from the record.

Blacklist the championship. Suspend the players for however long, but let them continue their careers. But winning the championship? Never mention, don't put it on anybody's resume, basically put, just ignore that it never happened.