MLB 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Meacon Keaton

I try not to put any stock into spring results for guys who know they’ll be on the team...but the Mets are hinging a lot of this year on the bullpen, specifically Edwin Diaz and Jeurys Familia bouncing back after the awful seasons they had last year so they should’ve been coming to camp with something to prove.  Both guys look like absolute shit still.

9owz8vh160j41.png?width=2297&format=png&

Normally I'm all happy that it's only two weeks til Opening Day...but it's clear as day now that it's not going to be happening as normal.

The only question now, and the decision MLB is likely working on right now, is how to handle this.  Relocating games?  Empty stadium games?  Just straight up cancel part of the season?

I can see everything being shut down for a month.  In mid-April or so they'll go back to camp for a few weeks of Spring Training games in empty stadiums to gear everyone back up and then the season starts in May.

I suspect the plan is going to be delaying the season until May. I think NHL announces they'll suspend the season today, NCAA probably postpones March Madness and all other tournaments and cancels spring sports seasons, then MLB goes "oh guess it's our turn?"

It'll leave Vince McMahon as the only holdout.

3 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

I suspect the plan is going to be delaying the season until May. I think NHL announces they'll suspend the season today, NCAA probably postpones March Madness and all other tournaments and cancels spring sports seasons, then MLB goes "oh guess it's our turn?"

It'll leave Vince McMahon as the only holdout.

Spring training suspended and regular season delayed by at least two weeks.

Presumably...this would mean they anticipate spring training resuming in two weeks and the season then starts after then.  But two weeks sounds generous since a lot of cities and states are banning public gatherings for a month.  And the longer the delay, the more time they'll have to give teams to essentially do Spring Training Part 2.

If first pitch of Opening Day happens before May I'd be surprised.

Very excited for MLB to try and still fit in 162 regular season games.

Just now, B-li Manning said:

If/when they reduce the schedule I wonder if they're just going to pick the existing schedule up from whenever they start, or if they're gonna try to re-balance.  Maybe hack off most of the stupid interleague play games.

This is honestly the route to go. Just take out interleague and maybe reduce a bunch of 4-game series to 3-games. They, however, will not go this route.