MLB 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Meacon Keaton

4 hours ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

Oh! Someone else I absolutely adored, but was very good, was Julio Franco. Playing whiffle ball in the backyard and mimicking his fantastic batting stance was a staple at family barbecues. 

Julio Franco was one of my favorite players, and he never even played for any teams I actually like. Hard to believe how many teams he did play for.

On 01/05/2020 at 20:26, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Travis Snider is a guy I thought was going to be a star and even though he never broke through, was very sad when he was traded. 

I wanted to find his home run against Minnesota that went upper deck in the Metrodome, but this came up instead.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

This is now the KBO thread

My TV is a Samsung because of my undying love for the Samsung Lions

Here’s some help for you non-Lions lifers

1 hour ago, damsher hatfield said:

Yeah they're basically airing overnight. On the east coast a game starting after 4 is fine since I'm usually up around 5 so I can catch most of it. But I have no idea how the rest of the country is gonna watch much.

Gonna guess they will re-air them in the evening as they are desperate for content

That “sweetest swing” question....Griffey is the immediate one that jumps to mind with Darryl Starwberry and Will Clark as other strong contenders.

Come to think, just about everyone I’ve heard described as a having a “sweet swing” is a lefty hitter.  They’re just more aesthetically pleasing.  I’d guess it’s something to do with the fact that their follow through is cleaner as their swing already has them pointed towards first base where they’ll have to start running.

"The DX sign". Also, Trammell is only 22 (!), so he's probably only ever known the HBK-HHH modern-day DX..

• Like 1

Here's a question for you all

So if we're looking at teams that had a sustained run with vibrant personalities the best two answers I think are the late '80s A's and the early '70s A's. Big Red Machine and the Yankees of Jeter get honorable mention but both those teams didn't have a lot of vibrant personalities.

If we're looking at covering a single season then '86 Mets or '81 Dodgers.

If we're gonna cover teams that didn't win it all then the '93 Phillies or a twin billing of the '12 Orioles and then the '13 Pirates.