MLB 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Meacon Keaton

The Athletics won’t be paying their minor league players their $400/week come the end of this month. They’re also barred from working for any other club or seeking unemployment. 

In case it wasn’t already obvious how screwed up the salaries are for players in the early stages of their career, if the players had accepted the proposed second pay cut, in three years of play, Aaron Judge would only have made $2.5 million.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, El Tiburon said:

Can we just talk about how good Kevin Brown was? I had almost forgotten how much I liked him as a kid until I saw this video. 

Saw him pitch against the Reds at Riverfront Stadium (R.I.P.) when he was with the Marlins. It was a forgone conclusion who was going to win going into the game, as the Reds' starter was crap.

(Marlins won 3-1, in Cincinnati)

• Like 1

He was apparently an insecure baby. I’ve read several books written by ex-players who say he was always half-a-cry and doubting his abilities and if you cut so much as a fart around him, he’d be likely to blame you and your toot for his next bad outing. He somehow constantly doubted himself while also having excuses for his failings. Which granted, were few and far between. But he was allegedly quite a handful.

I was a huge marlins fan in those days because I loved the jerseys and so adopted them as my NL team. I remember watching both world series with my mom who made us chocolate shakes for each game.

Nowadays we dont talk, haven't actually seen her for a year or so...

4 hours ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

He was apparently an insecure baby. I’ve read several books written by ex-players who say he was always half-a-cry and doubting his abilities and if you cut so much as a fart around him, he’d be likely to blame you and your toot for his next bad outing. He somehow constantly doubted himself while also having excuses for his failings. Which granted, were few and far between. But he was allegedly quite a handful.

He didn't make any friends his one year in Baltimore.

3 hours ago, JMarushin said:

I was a huge marlins fan in those days because I loved the jerseys and so adopted them as my NL team. I remember watching both world series with my mom who made us chocolate shakes for each game.

Nowadays we dont talk, haven't actually seen her for a year or so...

Sorry about your mom. :(

The Marlins' old uniforms when they were the Florida Marlins and didn't look like a minor league or create-a-team were pretty nice. I liked their original all teal hats.

• Thanks 1

Back in '97 I didn't really have a pony in the race so to speak, so I was rooting for the Marlins that year simply because they had a great underdog story. First winning season in franchise history! Playoffs! WORLD SERIES VICTORY! :w00t:

The MLBPA's counter-proposal to the owners:

-114 game schedule from June 30 - October 31 (that's 10 off days per team unless they create off days by scheduling doubleheaders in advance)
-Expanded playoffs in 2020 and 2021 (warm weather or domed cities in 2020 since they'd be playing deep into November)
-Should playoffs be cancelled due to another outbreak that causes playoff cities to shut down, owners can defer up to $100 million in player salaries (any player making over $10 million would be eligible for the deferral)
-Any player who does not feel safe playing can opt out of the season, players who opt out will earn service time but no pay unless they are high risk or live with a high risk individual

On 30/05/2020 at 02:02, El Tiburon said:

The black alts with the silver lettering were pretty great. 

This. Those were their best uniforms, period.  Though the all-teal hats looked better than the black ones. 

I do not like the Miami Marlins uniforms at all. They look too much Minor League for my tastes.

• Like 1