MLB 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Meacon Keaton

On 01/12/2019 at 12:57, GhostMachine said:

The Reds are my favorite NL team, but Riverfront was better looking than the monstrosity they play in now.

What are you even on about, Great American is super nice. The highest level of seats are kinda ass to get in and out of but that's true of literally every stadium I've ever been to.

Jays tendered a contract to Matt Shoemaker. I am very happy that they did that. Yeah, he's a bit of an injury risk, but he was great in the limited time he played last season and will still cost less than market value for someone who has the potential to impact the team in the same way.

It's also been reported that the bidding for Wheeler has reached the $100 million mark... and the Jays are still involved. That speaks volumes to their willingness to spend when it makes sense. It sucked to miss out on Grandal and Moustakas, but they both ended up being given more on their deals than the Jays would be comfortable with. That's okay too, because we have two catchers, and every infield spot except for 1B is spoken for already. Moustakas would have been a very big upgrade, but it would have come at the expense of Tellez, and for the price he commanded, the idea of signing him made less sense.

Wheeler, on the other hand, is still a young arm and would be contributing still during the team's believed contention-window. He's also a starting pitcher, which the Jays desperately need. I don't believe he ends up in Toronto, if only because it would probably take a massive difference between a Jays top-offer and the second best deal he gets to sway him to join a rebuilding team in the AL East. If the team does make a big splash this off-season though, I think the best bet is on Wheeler.

I didn't think the Jays would get Wheeler, but hot damn does it hurt to see him off the board. Does that leave Michael Pineda as the best rotation arm still available that won't be over $100 million? He's good, but I think I would rather have someone that can start the season with the team.

5 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

I didn't think the Jays would get Wheeler, but hot damn does it hurt to see him off the board. Does that leave Michael Pineda as the best rotation arm still available that won't be over $100 million? He's good, but I think I would rather have someone that can start the season with the team.

Chicago offered him more than what he took from the Phils. If Wheeler wasn't willing to go to Chicago because it was too far, he was never coming to Toronto. 

I kind of feel bad for the White Sox GM. The owners have finally agreed to open their pocketbook and they struck out on Machado and Harper last year, and offered Wheeler more than what he accepted to go to Philly. Can’t blame a guy for trying.

At least he tricked Grandal into agreeing to play there.

Yeah apparently Wheeler’s wife is from New Jersey and she wanted to stay close to friends and family.  So that was the deciding factor.

That said, I think that’s way too much for Wheeler.  He’ll pitch to a sub-2 ERA against the Mets because of course he will, but I don’t like his chances over a full season in that bandbox.

Reports circulating that billionaire hedge fund manager Steve Cohen has increased his equity stake in the Mets, to fully vest in five years.  The Wilpons will remain in control for five more years at which point Cohen will assume 80% control of the team.

Did somebody slip me an aphrodisiac?

• Like 2