IT'S WHAMAGEDDON MOTHER FUCKERS

K

Whamageddon is a game played during the Christmas season where the player has to go from the 1st of December to midnight on the 24th of December without listening to "Last Christmas" by Wham!. If the player hears the song between the 1st and midnight on the 24th, they are out of the game.

As soon as you recognise the song, you're out. That means if you notice it flicking through the radio, if you hear it from a passing car, on a television advert, playing in a shopping centre, your sister calls you up and plays it down the phone LIKE MY FUCKING SISTER DID LAST YEAR, the second you realise, you're out.

https://www.whamageddon.com/

aea918_6455319.png

Lol. I'm out, then. Heard about 20-30 seconds of it earlier today.

Good luck, you poor bastards!

(Lets make it a harder challenge: Add Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You". Good luck finding a way to NOT hear that a song before Christmas Eve!)

I'll be interested to see how long I last this year. Want to say last year it ended in a mall. I always tempt fate by hanging out in a Plug.dj room where folks play Christmas music but generally speaking that particular song never gets picked.

• Like 1

Oh I can totaly win this.  I have no idea what the song sounds like, so I'll never know if I recognize it or not

Work doesn't play music.

I never listen to the radio.

Barely watch TV.

I hate Wham so I wouldn't seek it out.

This'll be easy. Especially since it's only the original version. I'd be fucked if it was the Jimmy Eat World version.

I briefly thought I'd fallen at the first hurdle, but got my dates wrong, as it was actually only 30th November when I heard it.

That said, it's an absolute banger, so not even upset if/when I lose. 

We don't have the radio on at work, my local pub tends to lean more towards '70s and earlier Christmas tracks on their playlist, and I've got most if not all of my Christmas shopping done already, so it basically comes down to if I happen to be in a supermarket without having my headphones in, or if it gets played while I'm stuck at an airport - which, given I have three flights booked between now and Christmas Eve, is not unlikely.

Sidenote: "Last Christmas" is the answer to one of my favourite pub quiz questions, as the highest selling number two single of all time.

• Like 1

There's no fucking chance I'm going to make since my girlfriend has been listening to 'Heart Xtra: Christmas', a radio station that plays nothing but uninterrupted Christmas songs, since mid-November.

I have already 'committed suicide' in this by intentionally playing the song on my own Christmas playlist...but I'll still keep an ear out to see how long I last otherwise. :shifty:

Since I listen to a lot of Classic FM and watch very little TV, probably my main vulnerability will come during trips to Tesco.

3 hours ago, Stevie B said:

Well i'm fucked... I work in retail. 

The opposite game would be 'Who hears it the most.' Chance of winning that one.

My sympathies! I had five Christmases at HMV and one at River Island and I honestly think it's ruined Christmas for me forever.

Edited by metalman
  • Like 1

The shops I used to work in didn't tend to play Christmas music often, and I was very thankful for that. There was the odd day or two when someone would put in a Christmas CD, but we mostly had a radio next to the PA system. Because we worked at night, the music licence was much cheaper too.

I'm a miserable git when it comes to this time of year, anyway. There are very few Christmas pop songs that don't irritate me. I quite like most carols, though.

Is this the one that's like "Laaaaaaaast Christmas, I gave you my heart" etc etc etc?

But yeah, I already didn't like Christmas and then I worked retail for years and year and now I'm a soldier on the front lines of the war against Christmas, so sure, can probably manage it.