Spotify 2019 top songs/artists

VerbalPuke

Mine was pretty much just the Hamilton musical. 21 hours of listening to it this year. Other non-musical related bands: Ninja Sex Party, Blink-182, and Dollar Signs. 

Here is my 2019 Playlist (minus Hamilton): https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3z2FQ4nS4nCxWrGAd3mQlV

(I also added some songs that I've been really digging... just the last 5 songs on there).

I always feel left out in the cold when this comes along because most years I barely use Spotify so I don't qualify, and the year-end stuff is always the only time I'm actually kind of disappointed by that fact. But I can say with great confidence that the albums I listened to the most this year are the following:

- Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful? by The Waitresses

- Confident Music For Confident People by Confidence Man

- On the Beach by Neil Young

- Crush on Me by Sir Babygirl

- Kind of Blue by Miles Davis

- Emotion by Carly Rae Jepsen

- Cologne by Kaoru Akimoto

My #1 is surprising but the rest not as much.

The Toxic Avenger
TOOL
Nine Inch Nails 
Mt. Joy
Tame Impala

Interestingly the only one of those artists to have a song in my Top 5 are Mt. Joy's "Silver Lining". 

Edited by livid

I love the way my playlist turned out, outside of white noise making it on.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1Etqy20u1bIA7I?si=AN2yrR4BQWy6h5s6p7iLJA

Here's some of the interesting slides.

Screenshot_2019-12-05-15-22-41.png

Screenshot_2019-12-05-15-22-50.png

Screenshot_2019-12-05-15-23-21.png

Screenshot_2019-12-05-15-22-59.png

Screenshot_2019-12-05-15-21-27.png

Screenshot_2019-12-05-15-20-46.png

Screenshot_2019-12-05-15-23-03.png

Screenshot_2019-12-05-15-23-09.png

Screenshot_2019-12-05-15-22-53.png

Songs of 2019

• NASA - Ariana Grande
  • Thank u Next - Ariana Grande
  • Mighty Love - RuPaul
  • Bloodline - Ariana Grande
  • High Horse - Kacey Musgraves

Artists

• RuPaul
  • Ariana Grande
  • Kacey Musgraves
  • Hot Chip 
  • Tacocat

I have a playlist that I listen to while I'm falling asleep that consists of System of a Down, Linkin Park, Korn, Slipknot, and Ghost.

... those are my top 5. No surprise. 

You can tell I only really use Spotify when I'm in the shower, doing housework or in the car. Also have to qualify that the Red Dead 2 soundtrack features so heavily because I always put it on as something relaxing in the background, it's such a good slate of music. My Top 5 artists for the year are:

1. Fozzy

2. Kate Bush

3. Woody Jackson (RDR2 soundtrack)

4. Iron Maiden

5. Skindred

The "World Citizen" selections were amusing, and show my genre taste a little bit better than the above: AC/DC, ABBA, Queen, Eminem, Enya. Imagine that festival.

Top Genres were Rock, Alternative Metal, New Wave Pop and Metalcore. Not sure what the last one is for unless Skindred are classed as that somehow. Guess I listen to Killswitch Engage a fair bit too.

Top 10 songs were...5 Kate Bush classics, 3 songs off the Red Dead soundtrack, Fozzy's newest single and, hilariously, "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" by Will Smith because we put it on in the car a lot. Okay, put it on in the car a lot.

I've only had the Spotify app on my phone this year, so the Decade stuff is disappointing as I've had Spotify since 2008 and used to use it all day, every day, but it hasn't registered any of that from a few years back unfortunately.

I don't have Spotify but I have Last.fm (remember that?). And for 2019 I get:

1. Bach

2. Wagner

3. Handel

4. Mozart

5. Verdi

Mostly because I like to listen to that sort of stuff when I write. If I strip out all the old fogey stuff I get:

1. Steely Dan

2. The Clash

3. Bob Dylan

4. Christine and the Queens

5. Janelle Monae

Which is still pretty old fogeyish, I grant you.

I think this may be a little off. I feel like Paramore should be my artist of the decade. They were my artist of 2015 and they've placed in the 5 every year till this one.

I only started using Spotify in 2016, so it's not very useful in terms of decade-long stuff, but here's what I've got;

Top Artists for 2019:
Johnny Clegg
David Bowie
Nick Drake
Tom Waits
Savuka

Top songs for 2019:
"Happy Hour" - The Housemartins
"Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain
"Maggot Brain" - Funkadelic
"Androgynous" - The Replacements
"Satsuko & Seita (Main Theme, Grave Of The Fireflies)" - daigoro789
"Im Garten der Gemeinschaft" - Popol Vuh
"Ghost Of A Horse Under The Chandelier" - World's End Girlfriend
"Song To The Siren" - This Mortal Coil
"Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence" - Ryuichi Sakimoto
"Rothko Chapel 5" - Morton Feldman

That's really skewed though, as a number of those songs are on a playlist I use to fall asleep to during bouts of insomnia.

In 2016, my top song  was "Human Fly" by The Cramps and top artist was Kate Bush.
In 2017, top song was "The Guns Of Brixton" by The Clash, and top artist was Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein - I can tell I wasn't using Spotify much yet, as I had to Google who they were.
In 2018, top song was "The Campaign For Real Rock" by Edwyn Collins, top artist was Prince.

Artist of the decade is Johnny Clegg, almost solely because of how much I've listened to him this year, as I don't think he would have got more than a few token plays before that.

I've listened to artists from 40 countries. The examples they gave were Neil Young from Canada, Queen from the UK, Billie Eilish from the US, Sinead O'Connor from Ireland, and Crowded House from New Zealand. None of those are really the interesting ones I wanted to find out, country-wise!

I was "genre-fluid", with my top genres being Dance Rock (?!), Singer-Songwriter, Alternative Rock, Psychedelic Rock and Britpop.

Top Artists 2019:
1. Avicii
2. Blink-182
3. Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes
4. Sabaton
5. Streetlight Manifesto

Avicii, Blink, and Sabaton don't surprise me but the other two do a bit. My top 10 songs are all Avicii because I'd often stick on his "This is" playlist and let it run for a few hours every other evening, before I moved in with the missus. Apparently I spent 22 hours listening to him over the course of 2019. The rest of the 2019 playlist consists of more Avicii before breaking out into ska punk, more EDM, and a couple of Jimmy Eat World and Frank Carter songs.

My EDM listening habits have sky-rocketed this year because it's been really handy for writing content at work since August. Post-grunge, Ska punk, Pop punk, and Modern rock fill out the genres due to my usual listening habits and gym playlists.

I'm at 22.5k minutes in 2019, which is actually my lowest yet on account of being restricted to commutes and evenings for half of the year, and then being restricted even further when I started having company on the train. I'd wager that around half of the total time is from August onwards, and will return to the 45-55k region I had in 2017 and 2018 next year.

Top Artist by Year:
2010: Within Temptation
2011: A Day to Remember
2012: Less Than Jake
2013: Sabaton
2014: State Champs
2015: Against Me!
2016: Story of the Year
2017: Reel Big Fish
2018: PVRIS
2019: Avicii

Top Song by Year:
2010: The Birth of the Blues by Sammy Davis Jr
2011: Over My Head (The Fray cover) by A Day to Remember
2012: Murder on the Dancefloor by Sophie Ellis-Bextor
2013: Over My Head (The Fray cover) by A Day to Remember x2
2014: Elevated by State Champs
2015: The Last Garrison by Enter Shikari
2016: One by One - (Acoustic Version) by Against Me!
2017: The Impression That I Get by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
2018: I'm Shipping Up To Boston by Dropkick Murphys
2019: Wake Me Up by Avicii

None of the top artists surprise me in the slightest, except perhaps the absence of Enter Shikari and Fozzy. I even correctly predicted 2011, 2014, 2015, and 2019. Songs are obviously a little harder to guess but also doesn't have any surprises for me.

Story of the Year apparently take my Artist of the Decade title, which makes sense seeing as they're the first band I ever saw live and only got to see again at Slam Dunk earlier this year. Enter Shikari, State Champs, Against Me!, and New Found Glory round out that top 5.