EWB's Favorite TV Show 2019: The Voting Thread

GoGo Yubari

Previously, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2018:

I think I went with "Don't Kidnap" for the "Next On" clip last year but that one got deleted so it doesn't count!!

so yeah, we're back! You vote on shows and I promise that within the next calendar year I'll tally them up! Probably within the first month of that calendar year!

THE RULES:

1. You will be fielding a list of your top fifteen shows of the year. Voting, of course, goes like so; list the shows from 1 to 15, the show you listed at 1 gets fifteen points, the show you listed at 2 gets fourteen points, and so on. That being said, if you didn't watch fifteen TV shows (or fifteen TV shows you actually liked enough to vote for) feel free to just leave the rest of your ballot blank once you run out. That is totally valid!

2. This is a list for your favorite TV shows of 2019, and by that I mean that every show you vote for must have been airing new episodes in its country of origin. For example, My Hero Academia aired new episodes in Japan this year so it's eligible! (hooray, I get to keep the same example three dang years in a row)

3. Shows don't necessarily have to be scripted comedies or dramas. Hell, last year Taskmaster very nearly made the top 10!

4. But there is an exception; no wrestling (ignoring, obviously, scripted series about wrestling like GLOW). That stuff will all be in the wrestling awards, if there is one this year.

5. And finally, you don't need to tell me you've edited your list up until I post saying that voting is closed, because that's when I'll start tallying everything. Then if you really, really want to make a change you should probably let me know, and I may or may not allow it. 

AND DON'T FORGET BEST NEW CHARACTER IF YOU'RE INTO THAT SORT OF THING: It's that fun side event that a couple people vote on every year, limited to characters who made their debuts as full-fledged chaacters on either a new or returning TV show this year! All you have to do is add something like "Best New Character: (character name)" at the end of your ballot and you've had your say in who joins Bob Newby and Nora West-Allen in the hall of past winners!

So get voting, or get to catching up on shows and then vote! Deadline is.... I don't know, maybe the end of the month? Depends on when ballots stop trickling in.

Ok here are my first thoughts. will update and think more.

1. Taskmaster
2. Star Trek Discovery
3. Years and Years
4. Kim's convenience
5. Line of Duty
6. Derry Girls
7. The letdown.
8. Criminal (UK)
9. Good Girls
10. Living with yourself
11. Rhythm & Flow
12.  Stranger things
13. The Rap Game UK

1. Mr. Robot
2. Russian Doll
3. The Deuce
4. What We Do In the Shadows
5. Watchmen
6. The Other Two
7. Barry
8. Veronica Mars
9. The Good Place
10. My Hero Academia
11. Bojack Horseman
12. Veep
13. Mindhunter
14. GLOW
15. Legends of Tomorrow

Best New Character: Nadia Vulvokov (Russian Doll)
(Honorable mentions: Nadja (What We Do In the Shadows), Wade Tillman/Looking Glass (Watchmen), Brooke Dubeck (The Other Two), Robin (Stranger Things))

Bottom five is basically wide open right now, none of the bottom four shows have full seasons out and there are other shows like Arrested Development and Bojack that I've not watched in full yet either.

1. The Good Place

2. The Witcher

3. Stranger Things

4. My Hero Academia

5. Watchmen

6. Steven Universe

7. Brooklyn Nine Nine

8. BoJack Horseman

9. The Mandalorian

10. Game of Thrones (Oh, how the mighty have fallen :( )

11. Letterkenny

12. Rick And Morty

13. Barry

14. Silicon Valley

15. The Boys

1. Watchmen
2. Succession
3. Barry
4. Euphoria
5. Patriot Act
6. The Righteous Gemstones
7. On Becoming a God in Central Florida
8. Chernobyl
9. Veronica Mars
10. Remy
11. Dollface
12. Schitt's Creek
13. Madam Secretary
14. Santa Clarita Diet
15. Dead to Me

1. Mindhunter

2. BoJack Horseman

3. Black Lightning

4. Orange is the New Black

5. Black Monday

6. Veronica Mars

7. Succession

8. Euphoria

9. Queen Sugar

10. Desus & Mero

11. Castle Rock

12. Black Mirror

13. City on a Hill

14. Snowfall

15. American Soul

Edited by Tyrone

1. The Good Place
  2. Watchmen
  3. Kim's Convenience
  4. Veep
  5. Broad City
  6. The Crown
  7. Black Mirror
  8. GLOW
  9. Chernobyl
  10. DC's Legends of Tomorrow
  11. When They See Us
  12. Speechless
  13. Supergirl
  14. Documentary Now!
  15. F is for Family

Honorable mentions: Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Goldbergs, Fresh Off the Boat, Angie Tribeca, Patrio Act with Hassan Minhaj

Shows that are too new but I'm really enjoying: Sunnyside, Perfect Harmony

Huh, thought I wouldn't be able to fill that. So many of my favorite comedies have ended this year (Veep, Broad City, Documentary Now!) or are gonna' end next month (The Good Place is gonna' hurt). 

1. The Good Place

2. I Think You Should Leave 

3. Big Mouth

4. The Punisher

5. Broad City

6. Santa Clarita Diet

7. Game of Thrones?

• Like 1

1.  DC's Legends of Tomorrow.  Any show that can have a James Taylor song sung by Biff Tannen and make me cry deserves #1

2.  Catch-22.  Think this gets overlooked because it was a Hulu exclusive, but it was seriously good

3.  Agents of SHIELD.  Always loved the show and will always be a top 5 to me

4.  What We Do In The Shadows.  Never saw the movie, but the series made me laugh my ass off many times

5.  Jessica Jones.  Really hated what they did with Trish, but S3 overall was fantastic

6.  Letterkenny.  Am still surprised how much rural Canada reminds me of rural PA

7.  Stranger Things.  Did like S3 more then S2

8.  Arrow.  Last half of last season plus the build up to Crisis on Infinite Earths has been great

9.  GLOW.  Glad they are getting a final season to wrap everything up

10.  Batwoman.  Yea, its starting off rough, but the seeds are planted for something good.  I'm hoping its a Legends of Tomorrow thing where season 2 is a vast improvement over season 1

11.  The Flash.  The new season seems like they might take the Agents of SHIELD route and go with smaller story arcs connecting an overall season story.  Much needed.  The Thinker did not need 24 episodes

12.  Supernatural.  The show has been building up great leading into its final season

13.  Supergirl.  While I largely agree with the shows politics, there are times when I find it a bit overly preachy.  I watch superhero shows for the escapism from reality, not be bombarded with Trump allegories

14.  Nailed It.  Nicole Byer is WAY too over the top at times.  She can be just annoying.  If she dialed it back a bit, this would be much higher

15.  The Punisher.  I liked season 2 for the most part.  Ok, I didn't at all care about the girl he was trying to protect.  And it ended with The Punisher opening fire on 2 street gangs who were in peace talks.  Didn't like that at all

01. BoJack Horseman
02. Barry
03. The Boys
04. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
05. The Rookie
06. South Park
07. My Hero Academia
08. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
09. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
10. The Deuce
11. Stranger Things
12. 9-1-1
13. The Unicorn
14. Seal Team
15. Attack on Titan

Not yet caught up with One Piece, so that one might pop in next year!

1. Game Of Thrones. I can't help myself, it's very important to me.

2. Stranger Things. This was an absolute return to form.

3. Dark Crystal : Age of Resistance.

4. GLOW.

5. The Umbrella Academy.

6. When They See Us.

7. The Crown.

8. Daybreak.

9. F Is For Family.

10. Big Mouth.

11. Good Omens.

12. The Boys.

13. Living With Yourself.

14. The Circle.

15. Rhythm & Flow.

Edited by Tigerstyle

1. Big Mouth

2. Lucifer

3. Final Space

4. Disenchantment

These are the only new-to-air things I've watched this year, and even then only because I've watched them all through from the beginning since the summer...

14 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Bottom five is basically wide open right now, none of the bottom four shows have full seasons out and there are other shows like Arrested Development and Bojack that I've not watched in full yet either.

Season five is sooooooo good and definitely making my list and more people should watch it because I tried to get my girlfriend to and she quit after like three episodes of season 4. :(

• Like 1

1. Bojack Horseman

2. The Good Place

3. South Park

4. What We Do in the Shadows

5. White Gold

6. Big Mouth

7. Game of Thrones

I think that's all I watched. The last couple didn't do much for me, but my limited number of shows means they get in by default. I'd like to get round to watching Chernobyl too because it's supposed to be very good.

On 06/12/2019 at 06:06, Benjamin said:

Huh, thought I wouldn't be able to fill that. So many of my favorite comedies have ended this year (Veep, Broad City, Documentary Now!) or are gonna' end next month (The Good Place is gonna' hurt). 

I just looked up Documentary Now! because I hadn't heard of it before (looks fun though), and apparently it was renewed for a fourth season after season 3 ended earlier this year?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MistletOwen said:

I just looked up Documentary Now! because I hadn't heard of it before (looks fun though), and apparently it was renewed for a fourth season after season 3 ended earlier this year?

Oh shit, yeah, thanks! The app I use to track shows I watch doesn't have it shown as renewed, that's why I thought it wasn't.

Also, you should totally check it out if you can. Bill Hader and Fred Armisen are great. 

1. This Is Us

2. Mindhunter

3. The Mandalorian

4. Stumptown 

5. Stranger Things

6. Russian Doll

7. Castle Rock

8. Jack Ryan

9. The Boys

10. Good Omens

11. The Good Doctor

12. Orange Is The New Black