Ollie beats the shit out of his backlog

probablyoliver

I am getting married in six months. The PS5 comes out in eleven months. Money's not crazy tight but I really can't afford to be spending shit on extra games in 2020. Plus I have about 8,000 games I either haven't played or haven't put much time into yet.

I've decided not to buy anything new now until the PS5 comes out. That means no Final Fantasy VII Remake, no Last of Us II, no DOOM Eternal, no nothing. I would be incredibly sad about this but holy shit do I have a bunch of games that I need to put some time into, and most of them are supposedly bloody excellent.

In this thread I'm going to chronicle this endeavour, because if there's anything I like more than playing vidya games, it's ranting about them to no one on the internet.

Here's the backlog, I haven't quite decided what's first to the bat, so feel free to throw recommendations as to what I should jump into.

I've bolded games that I've put at least enough time into to form an opinion on and wish to go back to, but for whatever reason never have. There's also a few games listed that I have played previously, but either on a previous generation where it wasn't as pretty or that I haven't completed properly.

My preference is definitely in shorter narrative games. If a game wants to keep me invested more than 10-15 hours it needs to be really special. I like big sprawling open world's but tend to get decision paralysis if they're too big with too many things to do, which likely explains why I've struggled with things like the Witcher or Red Dead in the past.

• Assassin's Creed Revelations
  • Assassin's Creed III
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Assassin's Creed Unity
  • Assassin's Creed Syndicate
  • Axiom Verge
  • Bastion
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Beyond Two Souls
  • Blood & Truth
  • Control
  • Cuphead
  • Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
  • Dark Souls III
  • Dead Cells
  • Death Stranding
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Dying Light
  • Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
  • Far Cry 5
  • Firewatch
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Heavy Rain
  • Hollow Knight
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
  • MediEvil
  • Nioh
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Persona 5
  • Red Dead Redemption II
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Resident Evil VII
  • Salt and Sanctuary
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Shovel Knight
  • SOMA
  • Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps
  • Statik
  • Titanfall II
  • Transistor
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  • Watch_Dogs 2
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
  • Yakuza Kiwami

So EWB, you big bunch of lovelies, tell me what I should start with.

Persona 5 is about eight times longer than your preferred window but you'll have a blast. Go for it.

• Like 1

Dying Light was fantastic, played it loads on xbox and would have serious thought buying it on ps4 if I got to play with you guys regularly enough.

It's quite long tbf though.

• Like 1

Red Dead II is the best game I've ever played and I'm still going back to it, post-story, 11 months after starting it. So I'd definitely recommend pursuing that one, not sure how far through it you are already but the narrative is well, well worth the time you put in.

• Like 2

Just now, Liam said:

It is just a great little game which is also uber cool in terms of how stylish it all is and the narration, etc.

Yeah and I loved the way they did the perks too with the tonics and weapons and deities and what not

Batman: Arkham City
Not as good as Arkham Asylum but still a great game. It hits the sprawling, open world map which you say you like without going to overboard with it.

Cuphead
I'm with you on this one. Had it installed for six months but haven't played more than six minutes on it yet.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
It looked amazing prior to release but I've heard that it isn't as rewarding as it seems.

Heavy Rain
This came with the Black Friday bundle I bought, and it's the only one I've played other than one of the Tomb Raider games so far. I only played the intro but I can already see why my friend raved about it when it first came out.

I like Heavy Rain and the other David Cage games. The consensus seems to be that they're a little far up their own butt, but that was part of the charm for me. Also Heavy Rain has JASOOOOOOOOOON! JASOOOOOOOOOOON!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2