1,001 songs to listen to before you die...

Liam

I like old Elvis. This Elvis is just not for me. I really need us to get to 1974 soon. I've decided I'll also listen to all of these songs. It's a nice challenge and I don't mind listening to things I wouldn't normally listen to, but still, what a decade (for my tastes).

• Like 1

‘Most People I Know (Think That I’m Crazy)’, Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs (1972)

A big song in Australia it would seem, this apparently was the signature song of Billy Thorpe and his Aztecs as they began to move away from a more poppy sound to a rockier take, both aurally and aesthetically. The simplicity of the guitar and the narrative are things that I like; it was introduced at a festival in 1972 and I can imagine this going down well with many thousands of pissed up music fans. They even throw in a brief guitar solo to enjoy. Really fun if nothing out of the ordinary.

‘Taj Mahal’, Jorge Ben (1972)

Mixing samba with rock and funk, Jorge Ben attempted to tell the story about the love of Mughal Prince Shah Jahan for Princess Mumtaz Mahal, though the bulk of the vocal work seems to be noise rather than lyrics. The whole thing is very catchy to give it credit, something Rod Stewart noted when he borrowed from the song for ‘Da Ya Think I’m Sexy?’. Jorge Ben either sued or was going to, though the resolution saw Stewart donate the royalties to UNICEF. The chorus is very, very catchy.

‘Walk On The Wild Side’, Lou Reed (1972)

Influenced by: Sweet Talkin’ Guy • The Chiffons (1966)   

Influence on: Animal Nitrate • Suede (1993)   

Covered by: Vanessa Paradis (1990) • The Skids (1991) • Company B (1996) • Texas Lightning (2005) • Paul Young (2006) • Editors (2007) • Jesse Malin (2008)   

Other key track: Perfect Day (1972)

This is another song that I can file under the ‘know of it, but never heard it fully’ category. The chorus and Reed’s ‘do do do’-ing afterwards is firmly imprinted on my mind, yet I don’t remember ever hearing it from open to close. Referencing oral sex, transvestites and drugs in his telling of the live of some real Manhattan hustlers who Andy Warhol knew, the song at once feels both seedy and affectionate. Of the little bit of Reed I’ve heard, either as solo or Velvet Underground, he doesn’t have the voice you might expect when you see pictures of him. There is a clarity and melody I always like, when you expect a certain level of gruffness.

• Like 2

I prefer Velvet Underground although I don't dislike the way he sings in his solo work. Also, while walk on the wild side is definitely his most famous single on Transformer, I would have been happier if they had picked Vicious. Not surprised with the choice though.

• Like 1

I'd never heard of that first guy. Sounds alright.

Taj Mahal is great. The album it comes from is really good as a whole.

I don't listen to Lou Reed as much as I used to but I still really like Walk on the Wild Side. Everyone knows it is his second best song - the best one is obvs the Dab Hands remix of Satellite of Love from 2004.

8 hours ago, Malenko said:

I prefer Velvet Underground although I don't dislike the way he sings in his solo work. Also, while walk on the wild side is definitely his most famous single on Transformer, I would have been happier if they had picked Vicious. Not surprised with the choice though.

Yeah, I really like Vicious also. Transformer is really good overall, I would say I agree that I prefer Velvet Underground. But still, Transformer is excellent.

"Satellite of Love" is my favorite song off of Transformer, personally, though "Walk on the Wild Side" is great and the right inclusion for this book. I love that song, though it's always kind of weird hearing it get so much play in commercials given what it's about. That's how it always goes, though.

• Like 2

‘Virginia Plain’, Roxy Music (1972)

Influenced by: I’m Waiting for the Man • The Velvet Underground (1967)   

Influence on: A Glass of Champagne • Sailor (1975)   

Covered by: Spizzenergi (1979) • Slamm (1993) • Griff Steel (2007)   

Other key track: Do the Strand (1973)

Yadda yadda yadda band I know that I’ve not heard a lot of yadda yadda yadda – sorry, feel like I say that a lot at points. What does surprise me is that I assumed Roxy Music were more of a late 70s/80s acts, so to have them pop up in 1972 is interesting. Admittedly, this is only their first single and what a weird and wonderful single it is. The keyboard, saxophone parping and sci-fi sounds all add together to create a song that feels incredibly strange, yet also ahead of its time. There is a lot going on, that’s for sure.

‘You’re So Vain’, Carly Simon (1972)

Another song that fits into the ‘universal’ category for me; I can’t imagine many people don’t know this, even if they don’t know who did it or anything outside of the chorus.  It is an unarguably catchy song, though the question as to who warranted such a song to be written about them may explain its longevity. Between the autobiographical lyrics and a vocal delivery that mixes almost ‘talk singing’ with moments of melody, Simon had a nailed on hit here; it went to number 1 for a few weeks at the start of 1973. Would it have such a following if it wasn’t for the mystery behind it? Quite possibly – it is a really good song.

‘Today I Started Loving You Again’, Bettye Swann (1972)

The gestation of this song is as much of interest as the song itself. A country standard given a soul makeover by Swann, a duet version with Buck Owens had remained unreleased as it was still considered too controversial to mix white country and black soul in such a fashion. It also was one of the last songs by Swann before she quit the business to focus on her faith. It is short and sweet, with Swann’s vocals doing a wonderful job over the woodwind and strings that form a beautifully simplistic melody.

Edited by Liam
  • Like 1

The only Roxy Music album I really go back to listen to these days is Avalon. In spite of that I'm actually more inclined to think of them as an early 70s band. I think of their time with Brian Eno there as their "classic" lineup. Anyway, Virginia Plain is.a good one. Lots of fun noises.

You're So Vain was one of those bizarre blank spots for me. I only heard it for the first time a year or so ago. It's fine.

That Betty Swan song sounds good.

That first Roxy Music album is fantastic. I wrote them off for years as being a bit of glossy style over substance wank, until someone introduced me to stuff like Virginia Plain and Do The Strand, and even weirder tracks like 2HB, Ladytron, and Every Dream Home A Heartache. I don't think anyone has ever really truly found that balance of weird and experimental with stylish and poppy as well as they did.

• Like 1

‘Il mio canto librero’, Lucio Battisti (1972)

My (and your) mileage might vary on some of the non-English language songs, often because they just come from a different contextual place in terms of their musical mores. I was initially feeling a little bit dubious about ‘Il mio canto librero’, but as the instrumental began to swell, I began to see what might appear to someone, especially if they knew what the lyrics meant. A love story that talks about coming out of an acrimonious situation and meeting someone new, it touched a nerve in 1972 that saw it translated into many different languages along the way. There have been better ‘foreign’ songs on the list, but this has its moments.

‘Superfly’, Curtis Mayfield (1972)

I can only imagine that I’ve heard a song that sampled the introduction as this immediately sounds familiar, though it definitely a song I’ve never heard before. Super Fly was a Blaxploitation film that had the soundtrack written and performed by Mayfield, who used his lyrics to explore the story of a drug dealer trying to get out of the business – apparently the lyrics being less ambiguous than the movie in its condemnation of drugs. An early example of a soul ‘concept album’ with this as what I assume was the main song, this is funky with some effective use of percussion and brass to support Mayfield’s high vocal stylings.  Just a good song that fit perfectly for a film exploring black issues of the time period.

‘Crazy Horses’, The Osmonds (1972)

This was a wild release from the otherwise pretty strait-laced Osmonds. Funky and rocking from the opening notes, this was apparently a song that aimed to raise some awareness of being eco-conscious, the lyrics providing something of an anti-pollution message. The crunchy guitars and squealing Buchla synth don’t hide the fact that this is at heart a very competent piece of pop music. I imagine it must have opened some eyes and raised some eyebrows upon its release, but fair play to a band whose lead singer claimed Led Zeppelin as his biggest influence.

• Like 1

‘All The Young Dudes’, Mott the Hoople (1972)

Written and produced by David Bowie after the band had originally passed upon ‘Suffragette City’, this was a song that I had no idea I’d heard before, yet the chorus immediately reminded me of the song. Outside of the church organ work, it is the organ that for me is the most standout part of the song. It just has a way of wheedling into your head, probably helped by the clapping that isn’t too prominent, but just adds another layer of catchiness for the listener.

‘Personality Crisis’, New York Dolls (1973)

Influenced by: Brown Sugar • The Rolling Stones (1971)   

Influence on: Blitzkrieg Bop • Ramones (1976)   

Covered by: Sonic Youth (1993) • Teenage Fanclub (1998)   

Other key track: Looking for a Kiss (1973)

I actually saw these live at Reading Festival the year that Morissey headlined one of the nights. I’ll be honest, I can’t actually remember a thing about their set, but it wasn’t so bad that it stuck in my head, so that is something. This feels ahead of its time, with the book suggesting that different elements of what the Dolls did earned the Ramones, KISS and The Sex Pistols fame in the years to come. I really enjoy it – there’s a swagger writ large amongst the noise and it doesn’t forget that music largely needs to be memorable and catchy. Nothing technically impressive, yet music doesn’t have to be that way.

‘Ballroom Blitz’, The Sweet (1973)

Like many people of my age, I’m going to assume that many had their first introduction to this song during Wayne’s World. Apparently the lyrics are based on a genuine incident where a hostile crowd kicked off at them and began lobbing bottles – Scotland will Scotland. This has a lot going for it, from the catchiness of the chorus to the power chords and the campness of the bridge vocals, but I must say that I prefer watching Tia Carrere performing it. Can’t help that.

• Like 2

Love the New York Dolls, just cool rock and roll. Johnny Thunders is one of my favorite guitar players and David Johansen is probably one of my favorite frontmen. Personality Crisis isn't a surprising choice, probably the best choice.

I really like Mott the Hoople. Not at all surprised by All the Young Dudes. From what I know, Ian Anderson is still actand still puts on a great show. 

This is a very glam rock trio.

yeah, that's a run of songs right up my street!

Crazy Horses is an absolute banger.

All The Young Dudes is something that, even knowing the most famous version was recorded by Mott The Hoople, I still 100% think of as a Bowie song. There are plenty of other versions, but it just drips early '70s Bowie. Obviously he wrote it, but I think his style permeates it even beyond that. A wonderful song, by an underrated band. 

The New York Dolls tend to get credit for what came after, rather than what they actually did at the time, and in many ways it's understandable. But Personality Crisis is a song at least as good as anything by anyone they influenced. 

Ballroom Blitz is much more on to the novelty, goofy side of British glam rock than anything we've seen before (even Slade!), but it's great fun. Love The Damned's version too.

• Like 1

‘Jolene’, Dolly Parton (1973)

A very simple song that tells a very simple narrative, based around a real life run in with a woman who was given Dolly’s husband the eye. I’ve used the term twice already, but it is hard to avoid talking about the relative simplicity of the song. The guitars and rising chords of the chorus don’t do anything particularly impressive, yet they create an eminently catchy tune. This, in my experience, tends to be a song much more liked by women than men, perhaps finding more to empathise with in the narrator’s attempts to stop Jolene.

‘Next’, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band (1973)

Influenced by: (Whiskey Bar) Alabama Song • The Doors (1967)   

Influence on: Burst • Magazine (1978)   

Covered by: Marc Almond (1989) • Gavin Friday & The Man Seezer (1989)   Other key track: Delilah (1975)

It is hard not to talk about this song with saying how very Scottish it is (well, at least the vocalists delivery is). This was originally a Jacques Brel song, which Harvey took to even weirder extremes. This is very much music as performance art it feels with Harvey’s Northern talk/sing getting increasingly fractious and erratic in places. Apparently, these were an interesting band to see live – not necessarily good, or bad, but you definitely left with an opinion. I personally love the drama of the mask-wearing violinists, both in terms of the sharp notes they add and the air of the eerie in the video.

‘20th Century Boy’, T-Rex (1973)

Influenced by: (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction • The Rolling Stones (1965)   

Influence on: Teenage Kicks • The Undertones (1978)   

Covered by: Siouxsie & The Banshees (1979) • The Replacements (1984) • The Big Six (1998) • Placebo (1998) • Naked Raygun (2001)

Whenever I read about T-Rex, there seems to be a suggestion that after bursting onto the music scene, Marc Bolan became somewhat of a parody of a rock star. I can’t attest to that, but this song is heralded as somewhere of a re-emergence in the book, a chance for Bolan to show that he was still capable of fronting a band that could still churn out a good tune or two. Of the T-Rex songs on the list so far, this is my preferred tune with its crunch and swagger throughout. There feels like more of an urgency here that I can get behind and enjoy that just doesn’t come from ‘Bang a Gong’.

If ever there felt like a @Skummy song, it is 'Next'. I might be wrong, but it has you all over it.

• Like 1

Jolene is the motherfucking jam. It's simple, it hits all the right beats, and goddamnit, Jolene, please don't take my man. :(

I really like Miley's cover of it from the Backyard Sessions.

These are all really good. SAHB doing Next is amazing, but I’m surprised to see it here. Certainly deserves its place though.

The unruly Scottish show that inspired Ballroom Blitz took place in Kilmarnock, the same town that your very own Metalman is from.

Specoal shout out to All the Young Dudes too.

58 minutes ago, Liam said:

If ever there felt like a @Skummy song, it is 'Next'. I might be wrong, but it has you all over it.

100%! I love Jacques Brel, love Alex Harvey, and it's a perfect combination of the two.

Scott Walker is one of my favourite artists ever, but his Brel covers tend to be over-produced and a bit too crooner-y - the increasing desperation and insanity in Harvey's voice is perfect for Brel. His version of "Delilah" is superb for similar reasons.

Another great list for me, really - Jolene is superb, and 20th Century Boy is (as I think I've mentioned before) my favourite T-Rex song.