The 2020 Music Thread

Roster Depth Sicko No. 2

On 09/02/2020 at 08:10, RPS said:

It was literally just announced last week. 

Yeah I looked it up after you mentioned it. I assumed the algorithm on Spotify would catch it but guess not. It's of course great. 

In other news, big fan of the new Tame Impala so far. Headphones are a must. 

50 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Balance, Not Symmetry was great, but yeah I've seen a lot of negative comments for the new track, not listened to it myself yet.

The production is 'please put us on a mobile phone advert' Imagine Dragons. There's a such thing as too modern.

And yeah, I hoped (and still hope for) more stuff like Balance, Not Symmetry - slightly experimental without chasing zeitgeists. I thought it was their best album of the 2010s, and I maintain that Plead and The Naturals are two of their best songs.

On 29/02/2020 at 00:51, RPS said:

Lady Gaga's return to music and music videos is so welcomed.

Yeah I was surprised with how good that new song was. First thing she's done that properly impressed me for about a decade. And can you believe it has been a decade? Time flies, I'm getting old, etc.

After managing 249 last year, I've sent myself a target of listening to 500 albums this year. Currently well on track for this, about to log my 118th so far. 

My taste generally veers towards rock, metal and prog, but with some other bits too (occasionally dabble in jazz, ambient, drone, acoustic and, very occasionally, classical). I do want to try and branch out on the genres a bit, so if anyone could recommend stuff that they've been digging so far this year, I'll look to do those too :). 

For the record, my fav album so far this year is "Shape Without Form" by Hungarian band Ghost Toast. Instrumental prog / post-rock / post-metal with audio samples from select films added. One track does have vocals - a cover of an Icelandic folk song - though the vocals are technically sampled from an acapella version a YouTuber uploaded. Interesting stuff.

If anyone is interested, I keep an ongoing ranking of the current year's albums here: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Haldamir319/2020-ranked-albums/

On 09/02/2020 at 06:29, livid said:

How did I (and my Spotify at the very least) miss this? Damn 

Nicolas Jaar has a new album on the 28th. The first single is incredible. 

• Like 1

Very much into new US Girls, Princess Nokia, Soccer Mommy, Porridge Radio and King Krule. 

Gonna devote some more time to new Grimes, Summer Camp and Caribou.

LEYA isn't my usual type of thing, but also digging that new album. 

Also thankful for a new little Purity Ring EP.