The 2020 Music Thread

Roster Depth Sicko No. 2

On 18/05/2020 at 01:37, tristy said:

Whole Life made me cry.

A  few songs really hit me hard on his new album. The song Jason hit me on such a personal level. It was basically describing the relationship with my husband when we first met. Except the stealing part. 

Perfume Genius occupies a territory that I cannot think many other male singer songwriters do. It is redundant to call his lyrical focus queer, if I was meaning only the fact that he is gay. But he approaches songs and their content from such interesting and introspective perspectives. There is a darkness running underneath even his most uplifting songs. On The Floor sounds like an uplifting indie rock country dance song, but he is singing about his body being safe and hiding away his violent energy. There are not many singers out there who are willingly to explore masculinity and femininity and how they overlap in such an interesting way. 

On 23/05/2020 at 10:01, metalman said:

is blocking people on Grindr a particularly gay thing?

no, very heterosexual.

leqqwx93o4151.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

School of Language, aka one half of Field Music, have (has? Whatever) released a five track EP of songs inspired by Prince. They aren't covers, and they're ace. Story vaguely behind it is that Prince retweeted FMs The Noisy Days are Over not long before his death, so it's a little thank you.

SoL's last release before that was a completely Trump themed concept album which is also well worth a listen, give Nobody Knows a go if you want a sample.

• Like 1

The bare-bones recording, with Earle unaccompanied on acoustic guitar, stresses the urgency of ending the Trump administration. The song was written early in 45’s reign and was originally supposed to be part of a new full-length before it became the Ghosts of West Virginia concept album. Its lyrics are sadly evergreen and reflect the problems that the country continues to face today.

“This is a song I wrote for a moment at the beginning of the Trumpian nightmare that I planned on releasing closer to the election, but I reckon its time has come today,” Earle said of the song.

https://www.spin.com/2020/06/steve-earle-shares-acoustic-version-of-times-like-these/

On 08/06/2020 at 16:12, Colly said:

School of Language, aka one half of Field Music, have (has? Whatever) released a five track EP of songs inspired by Prince. They aren't covers, and they're ace. Story vaguely behind it is that Prince retweeted FMs The Noisy Days are Over not long before his death, so it's a little thank you.

SoL's last release before that was a completely Trump themed concept album which is also well worth a listen, give Nobody Knows a go if you want a sample.

Just listened to the EP; it's pretty great! 

I didn't even realize there's new Orville Peck, and it comes out today! EDIT: Incorrect! I just learned that it's been postponed to July. But still, a new Orville Peck song!

• 3 weeks later...

What has everyone's favorite albums of the year been? 

My top 5 are Jeff Rosenstock - NO DREAM, Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia, Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters, Perfume Genius - Set My Heart on Fire Immediately and Lady Gaga - Chromatica. All 5 have been outstanding albums. 

I've been pondering this question myself recently and was in the process of whittling it down.

If I was doing a top five right now, it would probably be (in no particular order): "Wake Up, Sunshine" by All Time Low; "Glue" by Boston Manor; "Power" by Twin Atlantic; "Everything Changes In The End" by Vistas; "Point of No Return" by Those Damn Crows

So far this year I have enjoyed Every Bad by Porridge Radio, Scacco Matto by Lorenzo Senni, Suite for Max Brown by Jeff Parker and the Fiona Apple one. I've got a lot on my list of stuff I intend to listen to, including the Perfume Genius and Dua Lipa ones. And big old Bobb Dylan at some point too.

Edited by metalman
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, RPS said:

What has everyone's favorite albums of the year been? 

My top 5 are Jeff Rosenstock - NO DREAM, Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia, Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters, Perfume Genius - Set My Heart on Fire Immediately and Lady Gaga - Chromatica. All 5 have been outstanding albums. 

According to my Rate Your Music account, I'm up to 297 albums for the year so far (I can listen to music at work most of the time) - 

Current top 10 - 

01. Ghost Toast - "Shape Without Form" - Mostly prog/post-metal with some audio samples 
02. Oded Tzur - "Here Be Dragons" - Instrumental smooth jazz
03. Kooba Tercu - "Proto Tekno" - Experimental / Psych Rock
04. JG Thirlwell & Simon Steensland - "Oscillospira" - Avant-Prog / Zuehl / Modern Classical 
05. Alestorm - "Curse of the Crystal Coconut" - Folk-Metal / Symphonic Metal
06. Godthrymm - "Reflections" - Trad Doom
07. Myrkur - "Folkesange" - Dark folk 
08. King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - "Chunky Shrapnel" - (Mostly) Live Album - Garage Rock / Hard Rock / Psych / Prog / Thrash / Krautrock 
09. Forndom - "Faþir" - Ritual Ambient / Dark Folk 
10. Dool - "Summerland" - Rock / Prog / Psych / Goth 

• Like 1