EWB's Top 51 TV Shows of 2019: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Previously, on EWB's Top 51 TV Shows of 2019:

The cutoff this year was 16 points and three ballots. So let's get straight to it, for the final appearance from a whole damn corner of the MCU.

V3udvvm.jpg

50 (tie). The Punisher (16 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

sLBc56y.jpg

50 (tie). Letterkenny (16 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

vM9zwNf.jpg

49. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (17 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #6)

0c3QGTo.jpg

48. Rick and Morty (17 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

JOYkVBf.jpg

47. THEY'LL NEVER STOP* SUPERNATURAL (18 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #26)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 51 TV Shows of 2019: We could play a sexy little game. It’s called, “What Musician Do You Hate?” Not sure how that’s sexy, but… I guess Maroon 5 kind of sucks.

(* - they're stopping Supernatural)

• Like 1

It actually took me awhile to realize The Punisher S2 had come out in 2019. I liked it a lot but 2019 was an especially good year for TV.

I have friends that really want me to watch Letterkenny. I'll get around to it. 

I have been intrigued by Sabrina but am still on the fence about whether or not I want to watch it.

Rick & Morty was great when it came back but it felt weird putting it on my list since the season 5 episodes just doesn't seem like enough to warrant that.

I am glad Supernatural is ending so I can (hopefully) stop feeling intrigued by the idea of catching up on it. 

Genuinely worth saying that it's crazy that I've been running this thing since 2009 and I'm pretty sure Supernatural has made the list every damn time. Can only think of like one show tops that might ever match that. Here's another set before I go see what is supposedly a Lovecraftian Nicolas Cage movie.

22FmEkd.jpg

45 (tie). Arrow (19 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #43)

LwLMQMg.jpg

45 (tie). Ramy (19 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

dbfsLei.jpg

44. Santa Clarita Diet (19 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #31)

7cnPjN9.jpg

43. The Flash (20 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #21)

8Fw9HkD.jpg

42. The Other Two (21 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

3PtwCvS.jpg

41. Veep (21 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 51 TV Shows of 2019: You are full-blown grass-roots. You are the Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of Astoria. You're the Jewish Shirley Chisholm of toilets!

Yeah, The Other Two rules and I hope more people watch it this year. That's a show I hope gets a good four or five seasons. And speaking of Comedy Central shows that ran exactly that length...

qVkEhLx.jpg

40. Broad City (22 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

N5KQWrK.jpg

37 (tie). South Park (23 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

TX7k4Ir.jpg

37 (tie). RuPaul's Drag Race (23 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

1ocIEfa.jpg

37 (tie). It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (23 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #33)

9qAvAtV.jpg

36. Lucifer (24 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 51 TV Shows of 2019: It's okay if you feel weird. You just killed someone for the first time. With an axe.

Sorry for the delay but we are back, and since it's a smaller batch of shows let's get Best New Character out of the way! Which... was a three-way tie! So congratulations to the three characters joining Bob Newby and Nora West-Allen:

tumblr_pmobwbZcn61upazamo3_500.gifv

Nadia Vulvokov (Russian Doll),

tumblr_pur4blpIEk1qgwefso1_540.gifv

Robin (Stranger Things), and

babyyodabcafebaea543db8f.gif

Baby Yoda (The Mandalorian)! They all tied at two votes apiece, pour one out for Annie Wilkes from Castle Rock and Lily from Barry. Thanks to the folks who voted on that one. Here's some more shows.

qnB7p9N.jpg

35. Kim's Convenience (25 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

6zoEyBG.jpg

34. Killing Eve (26 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #19)

v2O9L58.jpg

33. My Hero Academia (27 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #15)

9618v7D.jpg

32. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (28 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 51 TV Shows of 2019: We should have done the crossover.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd have liked a larger turnout for Best New Character but at the same time, it was always going to be one of those three winning it so the result felt right anyway. Anyway, my brain's working correctly so let's use this brief window to get another update out there.

ns9IEqw.jpg

30 (tie). I Think You Should Leave (28 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

VRvyXUc.jpg

30 (tie). The Deuce (28 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #39)

qTvjQiD.jpg

29. Legends of Tomorrow (28 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: #9)

WBGStR8.jpg

27 (tie). Taskmaster (29 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #11)

HKXhRWp.jpg

27 (tie). Mr. Robot (29 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

l1BDXYn.jpg

26. Orange is the New Black (30 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #41)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 51 TV Shows of 2019: I can’t just call Dad in the afterlife and be like, "Dad, could you just stop playing tennis with Hitler for a moment and take a quick call?"

• Like 1

Yay! I Think You Should Leave! I quote that show way too much. Are you kiddin’?! He said gimme something SPOOKY!

• Like 1

Great group.

I Think You Should Leave is amazing. Bizarre but amazing too. Which actually kind of describes Legends of Tomorrow too tbh.

I think @GoGo Yubari and I were the only ones to vote for Mr. Robot and we both put it at #1. Since the rest of y'all didn't vote for it I can only assume you're behind so you should catch up! They really stuck the landing on the end. 

18 hours ago, Your Mom's Side Chick said:

I'm a little over a season behind on Mr. Robot. I like it but it's just really involved and I've been more about stuff I don't have to think about lately :P 

Exactly the same. I love it, but it is a show that needs and deserves real focus, and I just haven't had time for that as of late.