2020 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

I really don't know why they haven't changed the name already. Even if it weren't a racial slur, they're automatically the least marketable team because everyone hates the name and logo. It's the perfect chance to rebrand with a fresh start. They can even keep the colour scheme, it's such a small thing to do. 

Their NBA team already did the exact same thing and it went fine.

As someone who lives 45 minutes away from their stadium, not everyone hates the logo. I'm in firm Ravens territory but I don't have to go far to see that fucking logo everywhere.

It gets brought up a lot but the reason Snyder hasn't changed the logo and name is that there are costs in rebranding that he clearly doesn't want to eat. And since he's stupidly stubborn he'll just refuse to do it until the NFL basically forces him or someone, somewhere pays all the costs.

Snyder will get a much more incentive-laden stadium deal in VA somewhere. I don't think there's any interest in the RFK site no matter what. So that threat doesn't really work.

It's a stupid principle thing with him where he just won't pay the upfront costs for a new name and logo when, realistically, he'd reap rewards when everyone has to go and buy new merchandise.

But, yes, the burgundy and gold are great and all they need to is change the logo on the helmet and the nickname on the front of the jerseys. Everything else can stay the same, it's minor tweaks in reality. But, you know, "market research" costs money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TCO said:

I really don't know why they haven't changed the name already. Even if it weren't a racial slur, they're automatically the least marketable team because everyone hates the name and logo. It's the perfect chance to rebrand with a fresh start. They can even keep the colour scheme, it's such a small thing to do. 

Their NBA team already did the exact same thing and it went fine.

Sadly, too many people who don't care. And Snyder will literally have to be forced to change the name. He refuses to even consider it. 

Even if I wasn't a Cowboys fan, I'd hate the Redskins because of their name alone. I have Cherokee ancestry on my mother's side of the family. Fuck the Washington Redskins, Atlanta Braves, and Cleveland Indians.

• Admin

Stadium sponsor FedEx asks Washington to change nickname. It's good to see the pressure ramping back up again but it's going to ultimately require the league to force the team's hand.

"Lift Ev'ry Voice And Sing," traditionally known as the Black national anthem, is expected to be performed live or played before every Week 1 NFL game, and the league is considering a variety of other measures during the upcoming season to recognize victims of police brutality, a source familiar with the league's discussions told The Undefeated on Thursday.

The song would be performed before "The Star-Spangled Banner," the source said. The NFL's season opener is scheduled for Sept. 10, with the Kansas City Chiefs hosting the Houston Texans.

Having recently displayed increased awareness about the problems of systemic racism, the NFL, in collaboration with the NFL Players Association, is also considering listing the names of victims on uniforms through decals on helmets or patches on jerseys. The NFL also may produce educational programs about victims, among other plans.

Early last month, commissioner Roger Goodell in a video admitted that the league had erred in how it handled peaceful NFL player protests of police brutality and systemic oppression. Goodell condemned racism and affirmed that Black lives matter, pledging his allegiance to the players in the battle for equal justice under the law.

Also in June, the league revealed plans to increase its social justice footprint by pledging to donate $250 million over a 10-year period.

The league hopes its efforts demonstrate "a genuine commitment to the public, players and coaches and that player voices continue to be heard," the source wrote in a text message. "This is key to educating fans, and becoming a prominent voice in the fight to end racism."

• Like 2

Did they or did they just disable the search term?

The Nike thing might be a step in the right direction.

Hit Snyder in the wallet by getting rid of Redskins merchandise or at least make it harder to acquire. And even if it doesn't say Redskins on it, don't sell their stuff until they change the name.

When he loses more revenue by not being able to sell team branded items than he would from spending money on rebranding, he'll change his tune or end up selling the team eventually.

Here's hoping this backlash happening also leads to MLB forcing a name change on the Indians and Braves. Or at least banning the tomahawk chop and that fucking annoying chant.....

To put in perspective, if anyone from the MLB thread who knows how much I hate the Yankees is reading:

I'd rather watch 2 straight Yankees squash wins than 1 Braves home game with the sound on. THAT is how much I cannot stand that lame ass chant.

I will never get the whole paying respect or homage to Native Americans argument that gets bandied about with some of these teams. You hear it with FSU because of their relationship with the tribe or whatever. I'm pretty sure having drunken white girls parade around in head dress after a country slaughtered your ancestors and stole your land isn't very respectful.

Florida State University Seminoles fans 'discouraged' from wearing ...

As a rule of thumb, if you commit genocide against a race, you shouldn't be doing anything associated with them ever again apart from apologising and paying repatriations. Not turning their traditions and values into a cute mascot.

So expect lots of injuries in week one and two.