2020 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

3 hours ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

I don't understand what franchise tagging is.

It's really unfair to players. Basically entices them with a lot of money up front but no guarantee beyond that. I think players should basically refuse to play under it.

Only Kirk Cousins has stared down franchise tags and won. Dude got tagged twice and then got big money from the Vikes. Legend.

• Admin

Multiple team officials are skeptical that the NFL will be able to start its league year next week, expressing doubt to ESPN's Adam Schefter given the ongoing coronavirus outbreak in the country and the typical in-person visits, including physicals, that would have to happen as part of free agency.

It's a situation that is drawing a variety of opinions across the league. Some told Schefter that they believe the NFL is waiting for voting results from the NFL Players Association on the proposed collective bargaining agreement to announce its next step, in hopes of avoiding a third delay to the players' CBA decision. The vote is scheduled to end Saturday at 11:59 p.m. ET, with a simple majority needed to pass.

But the NFL continues to say it's business as usual and that the new league year will start at 4 p.m. ET Wednesday as planned, with legal tampering for free agents set to begin at noon ET Monday.

That typically opens a rash of meetings between teams and players or their representatives. But given the calls for social distancing as the number of coronavirus cases exceeds 2,000 in the United States and approaches 150,000 worldwide, the NFL may need to consider ways to limit direct contact.

The league has already taken steps to do so with NFL draft hopefuls, prohibiting "all in-person, pre-draft visits involving draft-eligible players" as communicated to general managers, head coaches and player personnel directors in a memo that was obtained by ESPN's Dan Graziano.

The move, which went into effect at the end of Friday's business day, prevents draft prospects from visiting team headquarters and team personnel from attending pro days. Teams may communicate with prospects via telephone or video conference, but they must report those instances to the league's player personnel department.

The memo came amid a wave of statements from individual teams announcing they were pulling their scouts and player personnel staff from the road amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The league has also canceled its annual meeting, which was scheduled to be held in West Palm Beach, Florida, from March 29 through April 1.

The NFL has adjusted to a truncated calendar before. In 2011, amid a lockout that ran from March to August, the league year did not begin until Aug. 4, with preseason games starting a week later.

I may be officially tapping out. I'm fine with just watching college football and I've used Sundays to more or less get errands/chores/go on trips with the kids the last few years anyway. I have no reason to spend time watching regular season games if half the league is going to make the playoffs anyway. Maybe I'll catch back up in January when things matter, but meh. I'm content with my college game. 

2 hours ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

I may be officially tapping out. I'm fine with just watching college football and I've used Sundays to more or less get errands/chores/go on trips with the kids the last few years anyway. I have no reason to spend time watching regular season games if half the league is going to make the playoffs anyway. Maybe I'll catch back up in January when things matter, but meh. I'm content with my college game. 

Drew Lock in shambles 

Free agency is starting as scheduled this week. Only difference is teams are no longer flying players all over the country for visits...it’s all being done remotely through Skype and other means.

I’ve seen a lot of writers slamming the NFL for not pushing it back but with no sports going on I feel like any diversion is welcome.

8 minutes ago, B-li Manning said:

Free agency is starting as scheduled this week. Only difference is teams are no longer flying players all over the country for visits...it’s all being done remotely through Skype and other means.

I’ve seen a lot of writers slamming the NFL for not pushing it back but with no sports going on I feel like any diversion is welcome.

Yeah what's the big deal if they aren't being reckless and endangering people? 

The biggest issue I've heard with free agency is that signees are still going to have to get their physicals at a time when doctors and hospitals have a lot more pressing matters at hand and the general advice is that you shouldn't set foot in a medical center unless you absolutely have to right now, just because you don't know what kind of sickness anyone in there has.