Lineker

2020 NFL Off-Season Thread

ESPN are reporting that the Rams will attempt to trade Todd Gurley away this off-season.

6 hours ago, Lineker said:

ESPN are reporting that the Rams will attempt to trade Todd Gurley away this off-season.

They gotta get out of salary cap hell somehow. But who would take on that contract?

His cap hit for the Rams is $17.25mil this year which is completely absurd for a running back. If they manage to trade him it'll depend on whether they do it before or after his roster bonus.

It'll be a saving of $13mil before or just $5mil after. Either way they're eating $4.2mil in cap on him but I think itd be difficult to trade him before his roster bonus and probably not worth the saving to the Rams after the bonus.

Agreed. And even if they do find a buyer, what’s their return? A 7th? You can’t expect a team to take on that much salary and give you anything really worth a damn.

They *might* get a 6th, if the team that wants him has an idiot owner or general manager.

(Good thing Dallas doesn't need him, or Jerry Jones would probably pull the trigger on that.)

It is kind of amusing that the Rams loaded up because they thought their window was wide open for a few years, but it turned out they were a flash in the pan.

I honestly think unless you have an elite, top tier QB then the only way to win is with a rookie on a good contract. Paying average QBs top QB money just doesn't allow you build a Super Bowl winning roster. 

With the likes of Goff or Dak, you're better off cutting ties and trying again in the draft. If you're paying over 14% of the cap on a QB then you're just not winning a Super Bowl.

4 hours ago, TCO said:

I honestly think unless you have an elite, top tier QB then the only way to win is with a rookie on a good contract. Paying average QBs top QB money just doesn't allow you build a Super Bowl winning roster. 

With the likes of Goff or Dak, you're better off cutting ties and trying again in the draft. If you're paying over 14% of the cap on a QB then you're just not winning a Super Bowl.

Teams will much rather the bad contract than the unknown, but I completely agree. If you can cycle through rookie QB deals with a loaded roster you could probably compete just as well as the teams with star QBs eating up a ton of salary.

6 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Teams will much rather the bad contract than the unknown, but I completely agree. If you can cycle through rookie QB deals with a loaded roster you could probably compete just as well as the teams with star QBs eating up a ton of salary.

Highest ever % cap hit to win the Super Bowl was in 1994 when Steve Young was paid 13.1% of the 49ers cap. The next highest since then was Peyton Manning with 12.06% in 2015 for the Broncos.

I take a look at this every year when me and few of my friends are doing bets. No team has won a Super Bowl when a QB cap hit is over 10% unless they're an MVP winner, previous Super Bowl winner or both. Teams never win if they go above 13%.

History points that if you overpay a QB then there's no way your roster will be competitive enough to win. This is even more prominent since the new CBA and cheap 1st round QB money for 5 years.

At some point in the future I see QBs being exempt from the salary cap.  The league wants star QBs in the Super Bowl and if there's enough data to support that it's impossible to pay the QBs and still build a team around them, the league will change.

That's part of the issue with it being a Pandora's Box situation among the QBs.  Every QB wants a contract bigger than the last big QB contract, and teams aren't going to say no when it's a QB they feel they can win with.  The Chiefs will at least always know they got a ring from the Mahomes era but the Chiefs giving him the largest contract in the history of the sport is not a question of if, but when.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, B-li Manning said:

At some point in the future I see QBs being exempt from the salary cap.  The league wants star QBs in the Super Bowl and if there's enough data to support that it's impossible to pay the QBs and still build a team around them, the league will change.

That's part of the issue with it being a Pandora's Box situation among the QBs.  Every QB wants a contract bigger than the last big QB contract, and teams aren't going to say no when it's a QB they feel they can win with.  The Chiefs will at least always know they got a ring from the Mahomes era but the Chiefs giving him the largest contract in the history of the sport is not a question of if, but when.

The league is so much more enjoyable when the best players are meeting every year in the playoffs. But the way the QB contracts and salary cap are structured teams have very short windows. The Pats are an anomaly because Brady took less money for his whole career. I can't fault a QB for not doing that, especially because the NFLPA wants every player seeking max value.

But maybe in an NFL w/o Brady, where players are only on great teams for 3 or 4 years before their window slams shut the league will realize it needs to have a cap exempt rule and naturally most teams will put that designation on their QB.

12 hours ago, Lint said:

I don't know if it was the Harvard education or FitzMagic, but there was dust on my screen.

i can't believe Dak turned down 33 million a year. Russell Wilson is the highest paid QB at 35 million a year, but he's actually been to two Super Bowls and won one of them.

If Dallas does cave in and give Dak what he wants, I hope they don't give him more than a four year deal. Because if they cave in and he doesn't live up to expectations, he is going to pay for it. 

That $33mil figure was 100% leaked by Dallas and an almost pointless figure without the guarantees and contract structure being discussed. $33mil APY means nothing out of context.

Dak owes the Cowboys absolutely nothing, he's been criminally underpaid for 4 seasons earning just $4.7mil and comparing him to Russel Wilson is a moot point. He deserves what his market rate is this year, what Russ got is completely irrelevant.

• Like 1

GhostMachine is and always has been anti-player. He thinks they should all show up, shut up, and get what they get. Pay no attention to him. He’s a Red Sox fan and they’re cheaters.