2020 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

6 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Teams will much rather the bad contract than the unknown, but I completely agree. If you can cycle through rookie QB deals with a loaded roster you could probably compete just as well as the teams with star QBs eating up a ton of salary.

Highest ever % cap hit to win the Super Bowl was in 1994 when Steve Young was paid 13.1% of the 49ers cap. The next highest since then was Peyton Manning with 12.06% in 2015 for the Broncos.

I take a look at this every year when me and few of my friends are doing bets. No team has won a Super Bowl when a QB cap hit is over 10% unless they're an MVP winner, previous Super Bowl winner or both. Teams never win if they go above 13%.

History points that if you overpay a QB then there's no way your roster will be competitive enough to win. This is even more prominent since the new CBA and cheap 1st round QB money for 5 years.

At some point in the future I see QBs being exempt from the salary cap.  The league wants star QBs in the Super Bowl and if there's enough data to support that it's impossible to pay the QBs and still build a team around them, the league will change.

That's part of the issue with it being a Pandora's Box situation among the QBs.  Every QB wants a contract bigger than the last big QB contract, and teams aren't going to say no when it's a QB they feel they can win with.  The Chiefs will at least always know they got a ring from the Mahomes era but the Chiefs giving him the largest contract in the history of the sport is not a question of if, but when.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, B-li Manning said:

At some point in the future I see QBs being exempt from the salary cap.  The league wants star QBs in the Super Bowl and if there's enough data to support that it's impossible to pay the QBs and still build a team around them, the league will change.

That's part of the issue with it being a Pandora's Box situation among the QBs.  Every QB wants a contract bigger than the last big QB contract, and teams aren't going to say no when it's a QB they feel they can win with.  The Chiefs will at least always know they got a ring from the Mahomes era but the Chiefs giving him the largest contract in the history of the sport is not a question of if, but when.

The league is so much more enjoyable when the best players are meeting every year in the playoffs. But the way the QB contracts and salary cap are structured teams have very short windows. The Pats are an anomaly because Brady took less money for his whole career. I can't fault a QB for not doing that, especially because the NFLPA wants every player seeking max value.

But maybe in an NFL w/o Brady, where players are only on great teams for 3 or 4 years before their window slams shut the league will realize it needs to have a cap exempt rule and naturally most teams will put that designation on their QB.

i can't believe Dak turned down 33 million a year. Russell Wilson is the highest paid QB at 35 million a year, but he's actually been to two Super Bowls and won one of them.

If Dallas does cave in and give Dak what he wants, I hope they don't give him more than a four year deal. Because if they cave in and he doesn't live up to expectations, he is going to pay for it. 

That $33mil figure was 100% leaked by Dallas and an almost pointless figure without the guarantees and contract structure being discussed. $33mil APY means nothing out of context.

Dak owes the Cowboys absolutely nothing, he's been criminally underpaid for 4 seasons earning just $4.7mil and comparing him to Russel Wilson is a moot point. He deserves what his market rate is this year, what Russ got is completely irrelevant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

He'll end up franchise tagged.

I hope so, that worked out great for the Redskins with Kirk. Teams should either pay their guy the market rate or let them walk. Pissing him off on a tag for a year or two just fucks everything up for everybody.

There's no way Dak should be playing under the tag this year and if he gets tagged, he should refuse to sign a long-term deal.

I don't see Brady going to another team. And if he does, there is NO WAY it will be the Cowboys. And the only way I'd be all for it, since Brady is declining and only has 2 or 3 more years, is if he could get White Tiger....I mean Gronk....to un-retire and join him.

However, I can see Dallas franchising (probably going to happen) Dak and *maybe* trading him. 

How can you not help but like Minshew?  He really just seems like a good dude

• Like 3