Childhood games

Lineker

52 minutes ago, Gazz said:

You have no idea how much it aggrieved me to get past a world, only to then die in a game of rock, paper, scissors.

I remember getting to one of the castle leaves, and you fight Rockhead for a second time. 

Beat him, happy days, then he throws his fucking head at you. I had no idea what to do, ran straight into his body and died. You have to punch the flying head three times, touching his body instantly kills you. Obviously.

I just think I took the Rock, Paper, Scissors thing for granted as a kid, rather than it being an insane, needlessly harsh gameplay mechanic. It feels weirder for me if I play any of the later Alex Kidd games, which I never played as a kid, so it must just be that I'm used to it in Miracle World, and had basically memorised at least the first two or three, then relied on the mindreader doohickey for the others.

Speaking of arcade games, there was an Avengers arcade game that I played a lot every time I went to Chuck E. Cheese, and of course TMNT: Turtles In Time. That was also at Chuck E. Cheese, but my most vivid memory of it is playing it at a bowling alley in Dallas while my grandma bowled with her friends. Some random chubby kid wandered up and started playing alongside me and we wound up beating the game together.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

and the Encarta Encyclopedia Mindmaze. Surely we all played that?

I'd completely forgotten about that. I didn't have any consoles at the time, so this was something I played a lot, along with all the Windows Entertainment Pack games (Chip's Challenge, SkiFree, Rodent's Revenge and all the rest).

What I played the most, though, was Hover, the game that came free with the Windows 95 CD. You can download a free version that runs on Windows 10 now, and I still give it a go from time to time.

• Like 1

My Amstrad days didn't throw up many classic games, but my Amiga days did:

Sensible World of Soccer

Theme Park

Syndicate

Monkey Island

Beyond a Steel Sky

UFO: Enemy Unknown

Flashback

Settlers

Worms

Formula 1 Grand Prix

Championship Manager

Cannon Fodder

Wings

Civilization

Colonisation

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chris2K said:

and the Encarta Encyclopedia Mindmaze. Surely we all played that?

YES.

More that came up: You Don't Know Jack, Super Double Dragon, Earthworm Jim 2, and Super Mario Land

• Like 1

I actually think arcades shaped me more in the early 90s than say my NES. The NES was cool but honestly, my best memories of that are probably the Mega Man 2 cartridge my grandma had for some reason (seriously, I think with having so many grandkids my grandma accumulated odd stuff at her house. The Mega Man 2, a taped copy of White Men Can't Jump?) 

Anyway, arcade wise the Simpsons, Terminator 2 Judgement Day, Wrestlefest, X-Men, and Cruising USA were among my favorites.

Sega Genesis is where I really became interested in the home gaming consoles. Streets of Rage 2 is #1 for me, never owned it but I rented it so often I probably should have just bought it. Also loved Pit Fighter, Tecmo Super Bowl, Ren and Stimpy, and Jungle Strike. Seems we all had our own Strike experiences in one way or another, those were brilliant games though. Oh shit, and NBA Live 95, still one of my favorite sports games ever. OH and NHL 94, my other favorite sports game ever. Actually this one silly beat em' up from that era called Two Crude Dudes, it was pretty cool even if not that great. Captain America and the Avengers was fucking solid as well, loved me some Beat Em' Ups back in the day. If I rented Streets of Rage 2 all of the time, Captain America and the Avengers was probably a close second. 

PS1 was pretty sweet though, remember the year I got it for Christmas and got Destruction Derby, Die Hard Triology, Jet Moto, and WCW vs. the World. No offense to Jet Moto, but the other three games were classics I loved, just absolutely brilliant games. I mean ok, maybe brilliant isn't the right word, but I had a ton of fun with those three games, especially with my friend. We also obviously loved all the WWF games that came out (from War Zone to Smackdown 2 basically) and had a blast with those. Bushido Blade 2 was another one that we just fucking played the shit out of, my buddy and I were teenage stoners giggling away our summer playing Bushido Blade 2, the original GTA, and the wrestling games I mentioned. Also want to mention Tony Hawk Pro Skater, I sunk so many hours into that game, and still love that soundtrack. Oh Warcraft 2 as well. 

Wow, didn't realize how much I really got out of the PS1. I could maybe mention the PS2 but I was about 16-17 when I first got that? 

I didn't do a lot of PC gaming which bums me out because they seem cool and more...I don't know, thought provoking? I've always wanted to fuck around with real time strategy games and all the cool little simulators. My extent as a child was Sim City, the brilliant Oregon Trail made in the mid 90s, and Street Rod 2 (seriously, this game was fucking cool. Build a hot rod and drag race it, dope). 

It is one thing I miss about gaming from the old days. Where are the games where you beat the fuck out of people in the streets to save the citizens? Or fly a helicopter and blow shit up. Or be a samurai and fight other samurais and ninjas. Everything feels like it's an epic sandbox, sports, or a first person shooter these days. 

• Like 1

Man, so many PC games. Scorched Earth, Worms, Doom, The Sims, You Don't Know Jack, Duke Nukem, Postal, the Final Fantasy games, Half Life, Starcraft, Unreal Tournament, Warcraft 1 & 2, Quake 2, Oregon Trail, Team Fortress Classic. This is not even getting into the old DOS games I used to play that there is no way I could even remember the names of the games. I consider my childhood pre-2000. I did own consoles and loved Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Mario Kart games, Bomberman 64, all of the Wrestling games (literally all of them). But in reflecting upon the question, most of the time I played consoles was with my brothers and I mostly played single player games on my computer.