• The Invisible Man
  • The Hunt
  • A Quiet Place Part 2
  • The New Mutants
  • Antlers
  • Antebellum
  • Spiral: From the Book of Saw
  • Candyman

Are all out or due out by June. And that's just theatrical! That's not counting where horror has really thrived the last few years: streaming. I'm a big Shudder user (and hey, Ginger Snaps just got added today), so hopefully there will be enough going on to keep this thread going. 

I saw Invisible Man yesterday and was floored. I heard good things but wasn't ready for it to be THAT good. Easily the best of the Universal Monster stories in decades. 

• Like 3

This is cool. I always come to you on Twitter when I want to know about Horror anyway. I've been thinking about getting Shudder and I freaking LOVE Ginger Snaps. I didn't know New Mutants was horror! I'm looking forward to that and Candyman and A Quiet Place 2 of course. I'll start the thread off with a couple questions

1. As a victim of a lot of mental and physical abuse by a man I feel like The Invisible Man might be too much for me. Obviously none of you know for sure what will trigger me but is the movie good enough to risk it? Like I like a good scare but if the guy is doing a lot of fucked up stuff I don't know if I want to put myself through it.

2. I've never watched a movie in The Conjuring universe. Unless The Nun counts? I saw that just because I thought it looked scary but I felt like I was missing out on a lot of story. Anyway I'm always thinking about just starting them from the beginning. Is it worth the time?

Watched Read or Not today! Such a fun film

Samara Weaving is fantastic in it!

I think about 2 years ago, I've decided to rank each horror movie I've seen/rewatched from that point on. Still my favorite genre today!

https://letterboxd.com/larziej/list/ranked-horror-films/

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Your Mom's Side Chick said:

This is cool. I always come to you on Twitter when I want to know about Horror anyway. I've been thinking about getting Shudder and I freaking LOVE Ginger Snaps. I didn't know New Mutants was horror! I'm looking forward to that and Candyman and A Quiet Place 2 of course. I'll start the thread off with a couple questions

1. As a victim of a lot of mental and physical abuse by a man I feel like The Invisible Man might be too much for me. Obviously none of you know for sure what will trigger me but is the movie good enough to risk it? Like I like a good scare but if the guy is doing a lot of fucked up stuff I don't know if I want to put myself through it.

2. I've never watched a movie in The Conjuring universe. Unless The Nun counts? I saw that just because I thought it looked scary but I felt like I was missing out on a lot of story. Anyway I'm always thinking about just starting them from the beginning. Is it worth the time?

I think New Mutants will be loosely horror, but they're definitely advertising it as such. 

1. Invisible Man might be a little much for you. Like you said, I don't know what your triggers are, but it is extremely intense and all about an abusive relationship. It's really really really good, but it's a lot. I'm very eager to talk about it with you, but I don't want it to put you in a bad place. 

2. The Conjuring 1 & 2 are great movies. I have issues with the lionization of Ed & Lorraine Warren, but they're great horror movies. Annabelle Creation is also pretty damn creepy. 

And omg @Monkey D. Lars, I LOVE Ready or Not. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Your Mom's Side Chick said:

I just saw it and like you said, I don't know what will trigger you but what I'd say is that movie is great but fairly stressful, probably somewhere around It Follows levels of constant tension for me. There are a couple things in particular that he does that are particularly cruel in a way that I could see being extremely unpleasant. If you're on the fence I could tell you how it ends in PM either in really vague "this isn't going to especially ruin the story" terms or more detailed terms if that would help at all.

EDIT: also, yes, Ready or Not is great. I think the best horror movie I saw last year was Midsommar but Ready or Not is the one I'd most wholeheartedly recommend to people.

• Like 2

When horror is done well, it's so freaking good. However, I find most horror to be tedious and just a bunch of nothing happening. That said, I thought Gretel and Hansel was really good. Not a typical horror or supernatural movie, sort of skirts the line between each. Kind of enjoyed it.

On the other hand, Brahms: The Boy II was absolute hot garbage. What boring nonsense. At least The Boy had that one shocking twist that to me was slightly surprising.

My favorite horror movies of the recent years are probably Get Out, Crimson Peak, Us, It Follows, Green Room, A Quiet Place, Villains and I also quite enjoyed Life. I know some of those might not qualify as horror to some but I think of those as horror to some extent. 

5 hours ago, Benjamin said:

When horror is done well, it's so freaking good. However, I find most horror to be tedious and just a bunch of nothing happening. That said, I thought Gretel and Hansel was really good. Not a typical horror or supernatural movie, sort of skirts the line between each. Kind of enjoyed it.

I'm surprised that if you find horror boring, you enjoyed Gretel and Hansel since that seems to be everyone's chief complaint about it. I loved it, thought it was a great entry point horror movie for kids that want a real horror movie but not quite ready to be terrified. 

Great score, great performances, very different vibe from a lot of modern horror, and the Orion logo made me happy. I get why it didn't do much at the box office and why people may have been bored, but I think a lot of folks will regret not seeing it on the big screen. 

It's funny. I love the creepy and the spooky but I can't get much out of most Horror movies. I like Slashers  but not for any fear factor. I have to have found footage. I can't flip the switch in my brain that allows me to suspend my disbelief enough to get creeped out if I can clearly see that it's just a movie with camera men and a director just off screen. The only proper movie that can spook me is The Exorcist  because the idea of straight Demonic possession triggers some deep fear in me all on it's own. I didn't sleep right for a year after I saw it and briefly considered taking up Prayer despite being Agnostic.

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

Brahms: The Boy 2 wasn't nearly as bad as I'd prepared myself for. Perfectly acceptable sequel. 

Having read some of the user reviews on it though, I do get some of the gripes. 

I should check it out since I try to see any horror movie that makes it to theaters, but it looks more like an Annabelle movie than a sequel to The Boy. Maybe that's just deceptive marketing though. 

5 minutes ago, zero said:

I should check it out since I try to see any horror movie that makes it to theaters, but it looks more like an Annabelle movie than a sequel to The Boy. Maybe that's just deceptive marketing though. 

There's a bit of what feels like retconning from the first movie, but I don't want to spoil anything beyond that.

1 hour ago, zero said:

I'm surprised that if you find horror boring, you enjoyed Gretel and Hansel since that seems to be everyone's chief complaint about it. I loved it, thought it was a great entry point horror movie for kids that want a real horror movie but not quite ready to be terrified. 

Great score, great performances, very different vibe from a lot of modern horror, and the Orion logo made me happy. I get why it didn't do much at the box office and why people may have been bored, but I think a lot of folks will regret not seeing it on the big screen. 

I think because it wasn't just the usual jump scare horror movie? The last few horror movies I've watch just feel like it goes through the usual formulaic storyline in horror. Especially if they're sequels. It's why I think the first Conjuring was actually decent and the first Insidious was fun, but I hated every sequel or prequel beyond that. The third Insidious might be the worst horror movie I've seen in a theater?

OH! Also another excellent horror movie? It Comes at Night. I totally forgot that existed and that is incredible. 

19 minutes ago, zero said:

It's definitely a bit different to the first, yeah.

2 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

There's a bit of what feels like retconning from the first movie, but I don't want to spoil anything beyond that.

I think because it wasn't just the usual jump scare horror movie? The last few horror movies I've watch just feel like it goes through the usual formulaic storyline in horror. Especially if they're sequels. It's why I think the first Conjuring was actually decent and the first Insidious was fun, but I hated every sequel or prequel beyond that. The third Insidious might be the worst horror movie I've seen in a theater?

OH! Also another excellent horror movie? It Comes at Night. I totally forgot that existed and that is incredible. 

We have pretty similar tastes then. I love all horror, even the bad horror, but my preference is slow burn, atmospheric horror. If you haven't seen them yet, check out:  House of the Devil (Prime), I Trapped the Devil (Hulu), The Blackcoat's Daughter (Netflix and directed by the guy who directed Gretel & Hansel), and The Ritual (Netflix).

Also The Witch (Netflix). Gretel & Hansel is basically The Witch with a PG13 rating. 

• Like 2

It Follows was probably my favorite horror flick of the decade. I had just bought my house when it came out, my first time living in a proper neighborhood and I remember walking my dogs the day after I saw it, listening to the score, and getting myself freaked out. It's such a great movie. The best letterboxd review I read for it was something like, "it's like they did an adult reboot of Are You Afraid of the Dark and this was the pilot."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zero said:

It Follows was probably my favorite horror flick of the decade. I had just bought my house when it came out, my first time living in a proper neighborhood and I remember walking my dogs the day after I saw it, listening to the score, and getting myself freaked out. It's such a great movie. The best letterboxd review I read for it was something like, "it's like they did an adult reboot of Are You Afraid of the Dark and this was the pilot."

Like a suuuuuuuper adult reboot. Are You Afraid of the Dark feels like the tamest thing in comparison :P