The Horror Thread

zero

I finally watched Train to Busan. Now that's how ya do a zombie movie. 

And it's nothing you haven't seen in a zombie movie before, but it's done so well. It's one thing to know the formula to a zombie movie, it's another to know WHY that's the formula. 

• Like 1

The wife and I just finished season 2 of Castle Rock last night. Both seasons were really well done and gripped us throughout, so I'm hoping for a third season... if only because

I want to find out what the hell is up with The Kid. Season 2 just turned everything from the first season on its head. It didn't retcon anything, it just... everything we saw The Kid do in the first season, knowing what we find out in season two, just raises so many questions. There has to be another season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zero said:

That's good to hear. I've heard mixed things, but your stamp of approval will get me to check it out. 

It's definitely not what I expected. It's hard to explain without spoiling anything, but I feel like a lot of people were really hoping that the characters pulled from King's world would more closely resemble what they know them from, whether that's books, television or film. The creators do a really good job of bringing things together though and having it work organically. The characters involved come from all over King's work, but it's all woven together so nicely.

And while season two is a completely separate story, it has a very intriguing and powerful connection to the first season. Lizzy Caplan is a standout in the second season. She's just so great with her role.

One movie I recommend avoiding that I watched last year is Jackals. Its a cult coming after one of its members hiding out with a family at a cabin movie. Absolute trash, and the only good thing about it is Stephen Dorff being cast in it...and he's not one of the bad guys. Plus the ending is absolute shit.

Also, Neon Demon. I believe I've discussed why I hated it here already, but its one of the absolute worst movies I've ever seen. The writer and whoever approved it being made must have been on drugs...or needed to be. Keanu Reeves is in it, but he's only in about 3 scenes, less than 5 minutes total time, and has maybe two or three lines of dialogue. Its not even Ed Wood bad; its worse than Uwe Boll level trash.

1 hour ago, LittleDaniel said:

I love horror but don't watch that many movies in general, so I'm gonna try going through the recommendations on here. Really liked The Ritual, even if as someone living in the woods I also hated The Ritual.

I liked The Ritual a lot. Just watched that a couple weeks ago on Netflix and was pleasantly surprised. Like Blair Witch meets Pumpkinhead.

And echoing the hate for Jackals, that was atrocious. 

We re-watched a couple of movies over the past few nights. We did Constantine again, which I enjoyed when I saw it at the theatre and the couple of times I watched it on DVD afterwards, but just kind of vanished from my memory. I can remember a lot of people being upset about how they changed things from the source material. I never did read Constantine, so I never had that connection. I still enjoy the movie. Holds up incredibly well, and was good for what it was.

The other movie was See No Evil. I can remember thinking it was pretty good, but after watching it again, it's probably more that I thought it was significantly better than I'd expected. My expectations weren't very high, and it exceeded them, so I had an incorrect memory of the quality of the movie. It's shit. I enjoyed the kills still, but the acting was awful and the story was uninspired. I had to tell my wife that the sequel is a million times better, and point out that it was directed by the Soska Sisters, for her to even consider the sequel after watching the first one.

7 hours ago, Gabriel said:

We re-watched a couple of movies over the past few nights. We did Constantine again, which I enjoyed when I saw it at the theatre and the couple of times I watched it on DVD afterwards, but just kind of vanished from my memory. I can remember a lot of people being upset about how they changed things from the source material. I never did read Constantine, so I never had that connection. I still enjoy the movie. Holds up incredibly well, and was good for what it was.

The other movie was See No Evil. I can remember thinking it was pretty good, but after watching it again, it's probably more that I thought it was significantly better than I'd expected. My expectations weren't very high, and it exceeded them, so I had an incorrect memory of the quality of the movie. It's shit. I enjoyed the kills still, but the acting was awful and the story was uninspired. I had to tell my wife that the sequel is a million times better, and point out that it was directed by the Soska Sisters, for her to even consider the sequel after watching the first one.

The only thing I remember about See No Evil is that Kane shoves a cellphone in someone's throat right? 

On 03/03/2020 at 06:30, GoGo Yubari said:

I just saw it and like you said, I don't know what will trigger you but what I'd say is that movie is great but fairly stressful, probably somewhere around It Follows levels of constant tension for me. There are a couple things in particular that he does that are particularly cruel in a way that I could see being extremely unpleasant. If you're on the fence I could tell you how it ends in PM either in really vague "this isn't going to especially ruin the story" terms or more detailed terms if that would help at all.

EDIT: also, yes, Ready or Not is great. I think the best horror movie I saw last year was Midsommar but Ready or Not is the one I'd most wholeheartedly recommend to people.

Midsommar was one the best films I saw last year. I really liked it upon first watching, especially because it worked against what I thought it'd be and then I loved it upon a re-watch. I'm so here for distinctive voices like Ari Aster's. 

Not that I put too much stock in awards season, but I hope we can work towards a point where performances in genre films will get recognised. Florence Pugh was phenomenal, the whole film hinges on her emotionally draining performance. 

I finally watched Raw recently, which is another incredible horror film. Would fully recommend watching that if you've missed it. I'm playing catch-up with horror stuff; still have The WitchWhen Animals Dream and Blue My Mind sitting on my shelf. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, zero said:

loved the WNUF Halloween Special. It doesn't look like it's on Shudder anymore... or streaming anywhere for that matter. That's strange. 

Nice! Have you checked out any of the director's other work? A friend of mine has done some art work for at least one of this other movies (The Call Girl of Cthulu) which is how I found out that the sequel is shooting soon.

Lol honestly I thought that one was just okay compared to WNUF, but it also is a gorier kind of horror than I usually care for (though admittedly I haven't watched it since it came out in like 2014)

Its nice to see a baltimore indie film not made by john waters known by someone outside baltimore though!