The Horror Thread

zero

7 hours ago, Monkey D. Lars said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdSG7li6_Fc

Tom Savini's work was always so brutal.

The Burning. That whole movie is pretty great (except for starting Harvey Weinstein's career in movies) and is worth watching if you like slasher movies. That scene also comes out of nowhere and just hits like a ton of bricks. 

If you like Savini's work, I'd also recommend The Prowler. It's directed by Joseph Zito before he did Friday The 13th Part 4. It's got a bit of a dream like look to it, and the gore effects are very good. 

Any thoughts on Antrum?

On 3/11/2020 at 2:31 PM, LittleDaniel said:

Has anyone here seen WNUF Halloween Special? 

They're about to start filming the sequel!

This looks great and reminds me of a segment of a Found Footage movie I've been looking for for a few years. A 70s News Crew going into a mansion and it's all weird on the inside, bigger than it should be and leading to open places.

On 20/03/2020 at 14:18, Gabriel said:

Satanic Panic has hit Shudder as of last night. If you're into cult-based movies that feel like something out of the 70's/80's, that don't take themselves too seriously... it was a ton of fun.

I watched it this weekend and thought it was a blast. I highly recommend it.

Another movie I checked out this weekend was Pledge Night from 1990. The first half of the movie feels totally different from the second half - and not in a good way. There are plenty of better high school / college slasher movies out their, like Graduation Day or Final Exam.

The new Child's Play movie... it's not bad. Judging it solely on its own merits, it's actually a fairly enjoyable little movie. The Buddi doll design is still butt ugly though, and doesn't hold a candle to the original doll. It's very hard to take it seriously as a horrifying threat.

It also would have worked much better as a straight up comedy with horror elements, as opposed to trying to go the opposite way. It should have been titled something else and not even tried to be Child's Play.

The movie would have worked so much better if it was basically about the kid getting this doll whose restrictions have been removed... and failing to teach it the difference between right and wrong. Most of the movie should have been spent on the kid and his friends getting the doll to do weird, ridiculous and funny things... and then slowly get more violent as the doll does its best to take care of the kid that it has imprinted on. Take a sharp turn at the end with the doll killing people who've hurt the kid, and make the big climax the doll trying to kill his mom because of something he said, only for the kid to have to put the doll down after establishing a greater emotional connection to it.

Again, it was fine, and I would recommend it as a watch if you can do so without paying for it. They should never have called it Child's Play, and after seeing the film, I can definitely confirm that they could have changed names of characters and the title of the movie, and it's different enough that it wouldn't have even mattered. Doing the reboot to spite Don Mancini was clearly all about trying to increase profits by slapping a familiar name on the marquee.

EDIT: My wife also let me watch Feast again. Hot damn, do I love those movies. I wish that the final two were available on a streaming service though. Those movies were just absolutely ridiculous fun with monsters.

Edited by Gabriel

4 minutes ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

Well that was nice. I hope you thanked her!

I did.

She does enjoy the more ridiculous stuff once in awhile, but for a lot of those types of movies, she's good with seeing it once or twice total. So it was kind of surprising that when I listed off five or so movies I was thinking we could watch, she chose that one.

Apparently The Platform is horror.

Whatever it's labelled it's fantastic. I'd say it's more of a social commentary than anything. I could probably tell you who or what ideology every character in it stood for. I watched it yesterday evening, thought about it in bed and am still thinking about it this evening.

13 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Apparently The Platform is horror.

Whatever it's labelled it's fantastic. I'd say it's more of a social commentary than anything. I could probably tell you who or what ideology every character in it stood for. I watched it yesterday evening, thought about it in bed and am still thinking about it this evening.

Is it English language? My wife noticed it on Netflix yesterday.

Stuart Gordon died yesterday, the mastermind behind Re-Animator, From Beyond and Castle Freak. Three of those "am I really seeing this?" movies from the VHS era that are somehow still kinda on the fringes, which keeps them special. I think they're all on Shudder if you've never seen them!