Coronavirus in sport

Lineker

All scheduled Champions League and Europa League fixtures (including those previously set to be played behind closed doors) have also been postponed.

UEFA say they will further discuss European football's response to the outbreak (perhaps inc. Euro 2020?) at a videoconference next Tuesday.

As it stands Germany haven't cancelled yet. I think.

Also thus far non league is still going and I think my daughters U8s game is on, though not sure if Ladbrokes have a market. Paddy Power probably have.

• Like 1

Sports are an escape.  2-3 hours to just sorta forget about whatever shit you went through that day, crappy stuff in the news, etc.  It’s a diversion and something you can always look forward to no matter what.

The only time in my life I remember sports fully shutting down was 9/11.  And there weren’t as many leagues operating at that time of year, plus after about a week things went back to normal.

This is the entire industry shutting down for at least a month, possibly longer.  Completely understandable of course, it just feels so freaking weird.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, B-li Manning said:

Sports are an escape.  2-3 hours to just sorta forget about whatever shit you went through that day, crappy stuff in the news, etc.  It’s a diversion and something you can always look forward to no matter what.

The only time in my life I remember sports fully shutting down was 9/11.  And there weren’t as many leagues operating at that time of year, plus after about a week things went back to normal.

This is the entire industry shutting down for at least a month, possibly longer.  Completely understandable of course, it just feels so freaking weird.

Yeah there will be no sports for awhile, at least that we have an access to. I'm aware that in the southern hemisphere there aren't as many cases and many of their sports leagues are continuing as normal but that's probably not going to last for much longer.

It's obviously for the best and you can't risk anywhere from hundreds of athletes being in such close proximity to each other and then going back to families, etc. It won't do much to stop the spread.

The week after 9/11 was totally different because we knew they'd be coming back and when they'd be back, with this it could be a few weeks, few months, maybe not until the winter or next spring? Who knows?

Most of our sport is still going ahead but behind closed doors bar motorsport which is up in the air at the moment. As of Monday crowds of more than 500 people are banned anyway. Stupidly rugby league still played a match in front of what I believe was a capacity crowd this evening, why they are risking it is beyond me.