College Football 2020

Lineker

The Big Ten conference is apparently going to a conference only schedule. So, since schedules are done way ahead of time, do they have to pass compensation to the non-conference teams that they were supposed to play? And are those games just forfeited? Wouldn't be fair to let them do this without some sort of compensation/punishment.

Edited by GhostMachine

6 minutes ago, DMN said:

What do you think Notre Dame will do? I know there's a lot of interest in figuring out how to still place the USC game.

The ACC has all but said they'll put Notre Dame in the conference rotation, so the Irish will play whatever games their opponents are willing to play (Navy, but most likely nobody else) and then fill in the rest with ACC schools. I mean, they're already suppose to play six ACC schools this year anyway. 

9 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

If independent teams don't play, i hope the NCAA gives the Seniors only an extra year of eligibility. But also drop any of those teams about 10 ranks in the standings for 2021.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

You never make a lick of sense. 

Had me in the first half...

I do think there should be hardship waivers in terms of an extra year of eligibility for everyone. Even if their team plays I don't see any reason to count this year for players. Pair it with a transfer waiver to help alleviate the issues it will cause with roster spots.

Yeah, I have no issues with giving an extra year to seniors. Or everyone if their school cancels their games. It's the "automatic drop 10 spots in the polls" stuff that he felt the need to add. It's like the "DH should be only for people who can play the field, who were born before August, and who don't eat string cheese" caveats that he always adds. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

Yeah, I have no issues with giving an extra year to seniors. Or everyone if their school cancels their games. It's the "automatic drop 10 spots in the polls" stuff that he felt the need to add. It's like the "DH should be only for people who can play the field, who were born before August, and who don't eat string cheese" caveats that he always adds. :lol: 

Definitely, but even GhostMachine can be half-right twice a day. For all the shit we give him, as we saw last night in the NFL thread, opinions can be a lot worse than his.

If you read this, GM, I've always had a lot of love for you, just joking around. I respect my elders ;)

I'll honestly be happy with any football we're able to get this year. I don't think it should count for anything, though. Just write the whole year off.

2 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

If independent teams don't play, i hope the NCAA gives the Seniors only an extra year of eligibility. But also drop any of those teams about 10 ranks in the standings for 2021.

I HOPE COLLEGE ATHLETES ARE FORCED TO PLAY SPORTS AND RISK GETTING INFECTED WHILE GETTING PAID NOTHING FOR THESE RISKS.

Please kindly shut up about dumb punishments that should be doled out to schools smart enough to cancel their seasons.

The reason for the drop 10 spots is because it wouldn't be fair to keep their current rankings going into 2021 if they don't even play. 

But I really do believe they should give Seniors on those teams an extra year of eligibility if the teams don't play. 

(I'd rather they actually cancel the entire college football season, since Covid-19 isn't going away any time soon.)

7 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

The reason for the drop 10 spots is because it wouldn't be fair to keep their current rankings going into 2021 if they don't even play. 

So again, just to be clear, you want a football team that had no say in a decision, who didn’t play because of a pandemic, to be punished by the polls and thus sent to a worse bowl than they would have because of those standings?

”Sorry, kids. You finished 5th and were going to the Orange Bowl for the game of your life, but you didn’t play due to Corona, so have fun at the Idaho Potato Bowl.”

That just doesn’t make sense. If the team were suspended because of grades or legal issues or something to that effect, sure ban them from postseason play. But this whole situation is unlike any other. If you punish for not participating then I’m assuming you’re hanging out in public without a mask as well.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

So again, just to be clear, you want a football team that had no say in a decision, who didn’t play because of a pandemic, to be punished by the polls and thus sent to a worse bowl than they would have because of those standings?

”Sorry, kids. You finished 5th and were going to the Orange Bowl for the game of your life, but you didn’t play due to Corona, so have fun at the Idaho Potato Bowl.”

That just doesn’t make sense. If the team were suspended because of grades or legal issues or something to that effect, sure ban them from postseason play. But this whole situation is unlike any other. If you punish for not participating then I’m assuming you’re hanging out in public without a mask as well.

Who are you to besmirch the great name of the Idaho Potato Bowl!?

2 hours ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

By the same token:

"Well, Jim, the University of Bumfuck Bumfuckers are going to the Wax Your Turtle Bowl, despite not playing a game at all last year, still being ranked #10 at the start of the season because that's where they were ranked the year before, and going 11-1. While the University of Peoria Whatchamacallits started out ranked 15, went 10-2 last year and 12-0 this season, and end up in the Idaho Potato Bowl."

"I know, Bob. How in the heck is this right? The Bumfuckers didn't play at all last year, lost in a shutout to a team not even ranked in the top 25, and still go to a better bowl than a team that went undefeated, and knocked off not one but two top 25 teams."

And now you’re making up an even more moronic hypothetical situation. 

To even insinuate that a whole season played next year by a team will be looked at in a negative light because they may not play this season is just dumb. I’ve re-written this sentence several times to try to make it nicer but it’s dumb. If a team goes 12-0 next year, it won’t matter if they didn’t play this year or go 0-12 this year. It’s dumb. You’re really suggesting a team that has to sit out the season because of a god damn pandemic is at an athletic advantage over another team that plays for the following season?

If you don’t want to give a team that plays seven games this year a higher ranking than a team playing twelve, then fine. But it doesn’t have a god damn thing to do with the following season and it’s rankings. It’s a whole other season and year!

Basically the equivalent is saying if an NFL team has to shutdown for the year, they shouldn’t be allowed in the playoffs the following year. There’s just no logic. They’re not breaking any rules. It’s adjusting to a pandemic.

Like I said, I'd rather they not play college football at all this year. But how is what I said moronic? If college football is played, it would not be fair to freeze rankings for teams that don't play at all, so they've got the same exact ranking when they do go back to playing. It would make sense to freeze rankings for ALL teams if ALL college football is called off. Notre Dame is ranked #11 right now according to pre-season rankings. If they don't play at all due to being an independent, why should they even be ranked anywhere near there if everything goes back to normal in 2021 and its only independents  who do not play this year? Any team that does not play this year while others do should not keep their 2019 or 2020 pre-season rankings. Its common sense.

It would be almost like punishing teams that do play if you don't drop teams that do not in the rankings. How do you even rank an 0-0 team? Can't very well justify going by their 2019 records for 2021 rankings.

(And I was only using Notre Dame as an example. I know about the ACC situation regarding them.)

Edited by GhostMachine