EWB's Top 31 Movies of 2019: The Results

GoGo Yubari

To say nice things of Rise of Skywalker: I like the alien design, and I like a lot of the ideas they had for new locales. Subsequent works could probably make good use of them! There are a lot of cool things visually in this movie.

But as a movie, it's basically just one long copout, constantly introducing the idea of high stakes and dire consequences only to to backpedal five minutes later. It's more Disney's fault for completely mismanaging Star Wars as a whole, it's a reminder that for whatever flaws the MCU has, managing to handle their cinematic universe as consistently as they have for this long is kind of insane. Star Wars went off the rails like three or four movies in depending on your perspective.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

I gotta check out The Farewell, Little Women, and Lady of a Portrait on Fire -- Portrait especially was on my list of things I wanted to watch before finishing my list after Jimmy's recommendation in the voting thread but I never got around to it in time. :(

Ah man, this is nice. 

For me, Portrait of a Lady on Fire is one of the best films ever made. I would recommend it to anyone who likes films. I came out of that film in a complete daze, walked around Soho for about half an hour, mulling over how beautiful it is. Celina Sciamma, the director, is a big influence on me as a filmmaker, so I'll admit I was in the right frame of mind to love the movie, but I was completely blown away by it. I just felt it so much. I'm glad she's having her breakout moment, I think she's the most exciting filmmaker currently working.

For anyone interested, Mubi (best streaming service going!!) are doing a retrospective of her films at the moment and Portrait of a Lady on Fire is available for another 9 days. I'm readying myself up to watch it again. Her other three films are all brilliant. 

Little Women was the only other film from that list that really hit for me; Greta Gerwig's complete control of tone, timelines and ensemble made it something special. Combine these two with Lulu Wang, and it represented a super exciting year for film's directed by women, which is something we'll see more and more of over the next few years and it's so needed. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

To say nice things of Rise of Skywalker: I like the alien design, and I like a lot of the ideas they had for new locales. Subsequent works could probably make good use of them! There are a lot of cool things visually in this movie.

But as a movie, it's basically just one long copout, constantly introducing the idea of high stakes and dire consequences only to to backpedal five minutes later. It's more Disney's fault for completely mismanaging Star Wars as a whole, it's a reminder that for whatever flaws the MCU has, managing to handle their cinematic universe as consistently as they have for this long is kind of insane. Star Wars went off the rails like three or four movies in depending on your perspective.

They had the benefit of scooping up the MCU with Feige at the helm who had drafted a long-term plan. They scooped up SW, planned to recreate that magic, and then went "uh so what's our plan? Here let's get JJ Abrams and also we should do a bunch of prequel movies about characters people like but not played by their original actors". It's actually a massive stroke of luck that Disney+ launched and The Mandalorian was so well-received. That's probably the future of SW since it prevents them from needing to commit to an overarching cinematic universe.

Double Tap was enjoyable enough but after such a lengthy break between 1 and 2, it was always going to be very hard to replicate the magic again. 

It: Chapter 2 was good but way too long. Overall I'll probably remember it for being funnier than anything else which is maybe not what you want from a horror franchise.

Detective Pikachu was a lot better than I expected. Bit of a copout at the end but overall not bad.

Ready or Not is fun as hell and was glad that even after hearing that from everybody, I still enjoyed it. Samara Weaving is gonna be a star.

Shazam! is another fun movie. Glad to see Levi gain some more success after his run on Chuck too. I feel a weird sense of pride in seeing it.

Rise of Skywalker is just...boring for most of it. I knew I wasn't going to like it because of the all the Last Jedi erasure but still. 

It's wild to me that I was not a fan of 1917 because it's shot by Roger Deakins but it was just mostly boring to me. An impressive display for sure, just never connected with me.

Captain Marvel is good and I like what they're hinting at for the future of the MCU but I had to two a double take when I saw it was released last year. Seems like much longer for some reason.

7 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

They had the benefit of scooping up the MCU with Feige at the helm who had drafted a long-term plan. They scooped up SW, planned to recreate that magic, and then went "uh so what's our plan? Here let's get JJ Abrams and also we should do a bunch of prequel movies about characters people like but not played by their original actors". It's actually a massive stroke of luck that Disney+ launched and The Mandalorian was so well-received. That's probably the future of SW since it prevents them from needing to commit to an overarching cinematic universe.

Yeah which is why I think it would be smart for them to allow Favreau and Dave Filoni to take more prominent roles in building the SWU from here. 

Now that we've gotten The Star Wars Discourse out of our system, let's get back to it.

7XKlZhL.png

15. Joker (31 points, appeared on four ballots)

mhIbHtz.png

13 (tie). Rocketman (31 points, appeared on six ballots)

amQnWjc.png

13 (tie). El Camino (31 points, appeared on six ballots)

6gvGYOA.png

12. Us (33 points, appeared on six ballots)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 31 Movies of 2019: "I'm the Devil, and I'm here to do some devil shit." Now, that might not be verbatim.

• Like 1

Joker was a movie I didn't think too highly of outside of an absolutely fantastic performance by Phoenix. He just owned that movie.

Rocketman was so much better than Bohemian Rhapsody I thought. I think a big reason is there weren't many liberties they could have taken with it since Elton John is alive and surely could have said "nope that's bullshit" to anything if he so chose. I mean, he's Elton John. As a result I felt the movie took a larger-than-life figure and really shrunk him down, which a lot of biopics struggle with. I also really loved most of the musical numbers as well. 

El Camino was a really strong way to wrap up Jessie Pinkman. I assume we only have to finish Better Call Saul before we leave Albuquerque for good.

I, regrettably, have not seen Us yet. Last year so fucking loaded with movies, wow.

1 minute ago, GoGo Yubari said:

The Star Wars Discourse had to die so the Joker Discourse could live.

I gotchu

Eurgh, Joker. Yeah whatever. 

Rocketman was incredible. I was so delightfully surprised just how well structured and still full of personality it is. It wasn’t just some boring cookie cutter biopic like others have been, and kept me entertained and engaged throughout. 

Haven’t seen El Camino yet because I inexplicably haven’t finished Breaking Bad yet.

Us was awesome, super fun and had me on the edge of my seat at times. Lupita Nyong’o was bloody magnificent in her dual roles, and it certainly had a very deft touch to it. Was not as good as  Get Out, IMO, but it was close and Get Out was just simply outstanding, hard to reach that level.

Haven't seen Rocketman yet. 

Yeah, Joker wasn't for me. I have a lot of problems with it. Not that it's a discussion that truly need re-hashing, but it really felt like someone had seen The King of Comedy...and misunderstood The King of Comedy.

For me, El Camino was a well-told chapter I just didn't need. 

And I'm gutted that I was disappointed by Us, I think it plays its cards too early and that sense of mystery and tension isn't there. I'm totally here for anything Jordan Peele makes, but this one just didn't hit for me. 

• Like 1

I think it's fitting that for this year, the top ten has a tie at the #10 spot so it's actually a top eleven. This year merits that. Here are some really good movies.

g7eU1Gl.png

10 (tie). Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (35 points, appeared on six ballots)

rM5CXW2.png

10 (tie). Jojo Rabbit (35 points, appeared on six ballots)

NpzYQOg.png

9. Uncut Gems (37 points, appeared on five ballots)

uRkNxLN.png

8. Marriage Story (38 points, appeared on six ballots)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 31 Movies of 2019: They were dipped in an unbelievably potent drug. It's like ayahuasca, but Asian. Asianhuasca.

• Like 1

I still need to see all of those. I'm most interested in Uncut Gems and the Tarantino picture, but I know Marriage Story is also supposed to be real good.

3 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I still haven't watched El Camino because it feels like the show ended perfectly and I don't want to taint that for myself just to get a couple more hours with some of those characters

This is how I felt going in and how I felt coming out. I would compliment it that it doesn't taint anything, it's just not a story you need in your life when the end was what it was.

Great list of films. Was surprised by how much I enjoyed the Tarantino (although didn't quite crack top 10), was a bit gutted that JoJo Rabbit didn't hit my expectations, but still enjoyed the experience. 

And then Uncut Gems, wow what a fucking experience, never experienced film-induced anxiety like that in the cinema. 

Marriage Story also ruined me, beautifully told. 

This year really was a standout. 

Edited by Jimmy

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was right up my street in every way, and has perhaps favourite Brad Pitt performance ever.

El Camino, yeah it's definitely not needed but it was a well told, brilliantly shot film and I liked being able to sit in the Gilligan Bad world again with Jesse. Depending how the final season of Better Call Saul shakes out, I think it will fit nicely into the overall collection when we look back on it.

• Like 2

Just catching up on this list.... Shame about Fighting With My Family not making the list (not terribly surprised about that... but it was an entertaining movie). 

The Farewell: Never heard of it, to be honest, or at least not outside of Akwafina getting the Golden Globes nod. Sounds like something I need to look up based of the comments.

Hobbs and Shaw: Never head of it either. Not sure if it's something I'd particularly enjoy looking at the cast there in the photo. 

Honey Boy: Never Heard of it... at all. 

Frozen 2: Haven't seen the first one yet, so I've not looked into seeing this one at all.

Her Smell: Never heard of it. She's a great actor though so I may have to look into it. 

Zombieland 2: Double Tap: It's on the list, I just haven't gotten to it yet. The first one was really solid, and I'm curious to see how they tackle this 10 years later (or whatever it's been)

It: Chapter 2: I really, really, really ended up so underwhelmed by this film. I did not find it scary, at all. And the end was so cheesy (with the underwater kiss.... come on). But I will say the casting was really great, the look and design of the film was great... I've worked with a lot of that crew before and am not surprised at how it turned out visually or aesthetically. But man, I was disappointed watching it. Doubly disappointed because I was told by some cast members about some stuff shot in the first one that ended up getting cut and was meant to be included in Part 2 and expanded upon, but again was cut... all because the producers or director (not sure who) decided it was too scary to be included. Yea.....

Detective Pikachu: Pleasantly surprised with this one. I had a genuinely good time watching it. Interesting to see how much mileage the franchise STILL gets out of Pikachu vs Mewtwo.

Ready or Not: Never heard of it, but seems like I should.

Toy Story 4: Really fun. I was surprised at how much I liked this... and I dare say it's one of my favorite entries in the film (as a whole I preferred it to the 3rd, but the ending of the third was really great).

Shazam!: Have not had much interest in this... DCU has not really captured my attention, to put it politely (outside of Wonder Woman... THAT was good).

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker: Still haven't seen it, but I will when it hits Disney+. Expectations are low, so I suspect I'll get some enjoyment / less disappointment out of it.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire: Never Heard of it, but sounds like a winner. I'll look it up.

1917: Have not seen it and don't intend to. I've heard great things, but War Epics bore me to tears. 

Captain Marvel: One of the best MCU films to be honest. I really enjoyed it from start to finish (more than once). Brie Larson was great casting and it was fun to see more of Fury for a change. They did a good job placing it into the timeline as well.

Little Women: The story doesn't interest me much, but Greta is a phenomenal filmmaker, and the cast is absolutely aces. I'll likely make my way around to it when it hits a streaming service. 

Joker: I'm in the minority, but I loved this film. I've seen it 3 times and was blown away every time. I thought it was beautifully written, it was superbly shot and the acting throughout was amazing (not just Phoenix). I could have done with less of the Batman subplot (certainly in the end), but it didn't detract from the film. I'd love for it to not be a standalone, but would be fine if it were as it just works. 

Rocketman: Still on the list and looking forward to it. Not a big Elton John fan, but I've no doubt the film will be interesting. 

El Camino: I just watched this based on this list... I had no clue this was a Breaking Bad sequel film. I liked it... I found it a tad dull at times and checked out of the film (I'll have to rewatch sometime), but it wasn't a bad film and certainly didn't hurt the series. I don't think the story needed to be told, but it worked. I don't feel worse off having seen it, but don't feel any better off either. 

Us: I really enjoyed this film a lot. I thought this was much better than Get Out, to be honest, though both were brilliant. 

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood: On the list still... was hoping to see it but it never worked out with work. It's Tarrantino and a period piece.... I can't not see this.

Jojo Rabbit: I hadn't heard of this until the Oscar season, but it's been on my need to watch list since.

Uncut Gems: Meh..... I haven't seen it and don't feel compelled to. I really, really cannot stand Adam Sandlers. I know it's nothing like his usual film, but despite the reviews and recommendations, just his presence here is enough to not feel as though I need to see this.

Marriage Story: Beautiful film. One of the strongest of the year, bar none. The whole cast was perfect, the acting was top notch and the script is beautiful. I've seen it twice and it's just amazing.