The Animation Thread

Benji

Fuck it, we have a thread for anime and I'm sure there's enough fans of Bob's Burgers/Avatar/Steven Universe/Adventure Time/Family Guy/The Simpsons/whatever to make a thread out of this.

So I just decided to give Gravity Falls a go after years of hearing how good it was, and at just forty episodes it's an easy watch. I'm currently on the fifth episode and really enjoying it. It's got a lot of charm, dumb jokes, and the always welcome voice of Kristen Schaal. I can't quite put my finger on what it reminds me of specifically, but I'm definitely getting vibes of some other animated show whilst watching it.

23 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

I need to watch the second season of Final Space, first was good.

If you haven’t watched it (and you’re mad if you haven’t) everyone should watch F Is for Family, best animated show.

Both highly recommended. Final Space really builds well on the first season and plays with your expectations. F is for Family is Bill Burr at his best.

5 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Bill Burr is someone I can usually only take in small doses. I don't know if F is for Family is for me.

I'd say if you don't like the first episode it probably isn't for you. It all follows a very familiar formula and similar joke style. It's a rare show where the first episode basically matches what the rest of the show will be.

3 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Ahem.

But anyways! Once again! Everyone should watch The Owl House! It seems to be on a break now, but the 10 episodes that are out are fantastic.

You should have talked about better shows 😕

Also, pretty sure I made this thread a while back too. I just wanted an excuse to go back through Disney+ archives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Bill Burr is someone I can usually only take in small doses. I don't know if F is for Family is for me.

I thought for sure I wouldn't like it and ended up loving the shit out of it.

If anybody hasn't, I echo once again that you should watch the Tales of Arcadia series, Trollhunters & 3Below. All are super fun, very easy to get into and just a joy overall.

Besides that, Voltron: Legendary Defender is awesome. It's got a few big changes to the Voltron lore, but the heart of the show definitely lies in the non-conventional takes an animated show like this takes.

I'm going to start She-Ra sometime soon (maybe later tonight!). I want to watch it really badly. 

10 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

F is for Family is so good. 

When is the next season due to be released? 

Still no word. "Coming Soon" in the little trailer they released showcasing Jonathan Banks as Frank's dad. I'd imagine later this year?

Man, watching some of the more modern Simpsons episodes on a binge, and they aren't as awful as I remember. Like, they're mostly very very average TV, it's just comparatively they are bad. There are some awful episodes, but equally there are some that stick out as real fun. Just watched the episode where it's a "play within a play" of daydreams and it was legitimately really fun.

• Like 1

I watched the Lemon of Troy episode the other week from season six and it really is peak Simpsons. It's clever, witty and so many subtle jokes in there. The first eight seasons or so are genuinely outstanding but the quality really does start to dip after that point. 

• 2 weeks later...