The Animation Thread

Benji

On 5/23/2020 at 3:31 PM, Benji said:

I know why I dislike this era of The Simpsons. Pretending to be LGBTQ+ allies whilst relentlessly using gay and trans punchlines.

They still do this. At least they do in the mobile game. There's a quest in Tapped Out at the later levels where Frankie the Squealer is installed as the new mayor, and he announces that he's now "Francine The Squealer", then when the job of mayor is too overwhelming he says he's going back to being Frankie the Squealer. You'd think they wouldn't play into that bogus "trans people can just decide they want to change genders!" right-wing talking point in a game made in 2012 that's still being updated and played today, but nope.

On 09/05/2020 at 18:53, Benji said:

Fuck it, we have a thread for anime and I'm sure there's enough fans of Bob's Burgers/Avatar/Steven Universe/Adventure Time/Family Guy/The Simpsons/whatever to make a thread out of this.

So I just decided to give Gravity Falls a go after years of hearing how good it was, and at just forty episodes it's an easy watch. I'm currently on the fifth episode and really enjoying it. It's got a lot of charm, dumb jokes, and the always welcome voice of Kristen Schaal. I can't quite put my finger on what it reminds me of specifically, but I'm definitely getting vibes of some other animated show whilst watching it.

I'm going to do you a solid.

The Owl House - go and watch it if you even midly like Gravity Falls. It was created by a storyboard artist on that show, and the Gravity Falls creator voices one of the main characters.

Also a fun fact, Matt Chapman of Homestar Runner fame was an instrumental writer on that show for the first two seasons and then some and totally voiced Mermando, the Street Fighter parody characters and others.

Edited by apsham
  • Thanks 1

I went and binged,(a few episodes a day since I'm still having to physically go to work) season two of Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated. I watched season one back when it first aired, but had forgotten to watch the second season.

I think it's a great series, but it works best if you already know a bunch about Scooby Doo. It really works as being the "last" Scooby Doo show. It gets dark at times, so I wouldn't recommend it as a show for the under 10 crowd. The voice cast is great. It's streaming on Amazon Prime, and you can also buy it on DVD.

Near the end of Gravity Falls, just watching the shorts before I watch Weirdmageddon 4. Absolutely loved it. Started off like it could be a fun forgettable show, but soon caught me in enjoyment of it all. Loved all the reveals and development of characters. Feels like it's ending at the right time too, nothing dragged out. Soos is my hero.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine was watching it at the time and I caught bits and pieces of it, liked what I saw.

Oddly enough something in the same vein that I really liked and binged on YouTube was the Barbie - Life In The Dream House series. I don't know who they had writing for them, but that she was hilarious and stupidly self-referential.

• 2 weeks later...

They're also the landing spot for a Daria spin-off focused on Jodie Landon that's been in development for the last two years. They should just commit to the bit and do a new Celebrity Deathmatch as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

They're also the landing spot for a Daria spin-off focused on Jodie Landon that's been in development for the last two years. They should just commit to the bit and do a new Celebrity Deathmatch as well.

Oh, even better, they're gonna reboot Clone High.

34 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

THIS IS THE DAY I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR ALL MY LIFE.

This is the best thing ever. I really, really miss that show and this calls for a celebration!

Here's an article I found a year or so back that states Lord and Miller's plans for where things would have gone for season 2.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/what-would-have-happened-in-season-2-of-clone-high-a-rope-of-sand-e52222c51a50/

Edited by apsham

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...